FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 66 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 3
THEFOREVERMAN 3
MattJ 2
SoulJah22 1
royal 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
Today at 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
Today at 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#168569 - 07/18/05 08:57 PM The Greatness of you sensies. Any Stories??
bushi541 Offline

Hey guys I personally haven't trained in Aikido, I've been to a couple of seminars but that's about it. Also I've read many books and own dvds on the art. I plan to enter the Shinjinkai School in Chicago, I heard it's really great and the instructors are just awsome.

Any ways the reason for this post is just to have a general discussion about the people who we mostly admire. Which are our sensies. Madmusashi has told me a couple about Moore Sensei of the Shinjinkai and I enjoy reading such stories about thier experiences and how they handle various situations. An example is by Madmusashi, personally this story says alot about a sensie.
"Here's one of my favorite stories about Sensei Moore that was related to me by my former roommate, who was out having a drink with him at an Irish pub. Apparently some big drunken jerk approached her and began to hit on her. Despite the fact that she told him she wasn't interested, the big guy wouldn't leave her alone. In desperation, she said, "I'm here with my boyfriend." She pointed over at Keith.

"What's THAT @$$*^#@&^ gonna do about it?" the guy bellowed.

Keith merely smiled, shrugged, and raised his beer. This unsettled the guy so much that he walked away. "
I think this is one of the best stories I've ever heard. If any of you have anything similar or any thing that tells about your senseis skill or any aikidoists skill please do tell.

#168570 - 07/20/05 12:17 AM Re: The Greatness of you sensies. Any Stories?? [Re: bushi541]
madmusashi Offline

Now you've gotten me started!

This is my favorite story about Shihan Fumio Toyoda (1947-2001), the founder of the AAA.

After a particularly intense two hour class, Toyoda Sensei, much to our delight, asked the students if they had any specific questions about certain techniques, etc. He rarely did this, so everyone stayed behind and pummeled him with questions.

Several people asked questions like, "What would you do against a sucker punch?" or "How do you deal with a grappler?" etc. He would call students up and show them the techniques for the specific attacks.

I raised my hand, and he pointed to me. "Yes?"

"What technique would you do if the guy had a gun?" I asked.

Toyoda rubbed his chin thoughtfully and then smiled.

In broken English, he replied, "Run."

We all burst into laughter. That was the moment I knew I was in really good hands.

#168571 - 07/20/05 03:05 PM Re: The Greatness of you sensies. Any Stories?? [Re: madmusashi]
bushi541 Offline

Madmusashi once again you've given me a great story. Mannn you must feel lucky to have trained with such great seseis. I would I mean if my sensei is that skilled and can avoid getting into fights because he knows what he can do. It's not like those senseis or instructors who just fight to prove them selves that they can use thier art in real life situations. I mean it truly is great to be taught by people who have control, wisdom, and dynamic power!!! Thanks for the story man I hope this topic will catch up.

#168572 - 08/02/05 03:38 AM Re: The Greatness of you sensies. Any Stories?? [Re: bushi541]
xuzen_628 Offline
Unknown MA champion

Loc: Malaysia
My sensei buy us rounds of beer after every grading. Now, try to beat that!
X wf

#168573 - 08/02/05 05:53 PM Re: The Greatness of you sensies. Any Stories?? [Re: bushi541]
aikidox Offline

Loc: California, USA
What's a sensie anyway??

#168574 - 08/03/05 03:00 PM Re: The Greatness of you sensies. Any Stories?? [Re: aikidox]
bushi541 Offline

A Sensei is a teaher and instrucot who guides you in the Japanese Martial arts.

#168575 - 08/03/05 11:18 PM Re: The Greatness of you sensies. Any Stories?? [Re: bushi541]
csinca Offline
former moderator

Loc: Southern California
Quote:

A Sensei is a teaher and instrucot who guides you in the Japanese Martial arts.

Sensei is not specific to martial arts

Chris

#168576 - 08/03/05 11:49 PM Re: The Greatness of you sensies. Any Stories?? [Re: csinca]
eyrie Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: QLD, Australia
Just a gentle prompt, but I think this is getting off track. Last I checked, this is the Aikido forum.

So, would someone like to contribute a story about their aikido teacher?

Edited by eyrie (08/03/05 11:50 PM)

#168577 - 11/25/05 09:27 AM Re: The Greatness of you sensies. Any Stories?? [Re: eyrie]
ChuckM Offline

Loc: Laporte, IN USA
When I first started Aikido, I was vey unsure of its ways. I had come from a Tae Kwon Do background having reached the rank of 2nd Dan. My sensei's instuctor came into the dojo to see how I was doing after a few lessons. He noticed how ridged I was and asked what I thought of Aikido so far. I was honest and told him I was unsure.

He said OK, I understand. How about a little demonstration?
Sure I replied.
He sat in seiza in the center of the room, 12' from any wall. He offered his hand to me and said to assume my tae kwon do front stance. I did and then was told to hold his finger. He asked if I could roll and fall (As this was what the first lessons worked on) I said yes. He used ki and dropped his hand across his body to the floor. The next thing I know am in the air, roll, and am looking at the opposite wall! That was enough for me and have been a student of Peny Ryu bujitsu since.

#168578 - 12/04/05 04:39 AM Re: The Greatness of you sensies. Any Stories?? [Re: eyrie]
madmusashi Offline

Quote:

Just a gentle prompt, but I think this is getting off track. Last I checked, this is the Aikido forum.

So, would someone like to contribute a story about their aikido teacher?

Eyrie, both of the first two stories ARE about aikido teachers: Keith Moore (of Aikido Shinjinkai) and Fumio Toyoda (Aikido Association of America).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga