FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 35 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn
22904 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 15
cxt 7
trevek 6
futsaowingchun 3
JKogas 2
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Throwing
by
04/23/05 10:58 PM
Recent Posts
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/31/14 12:04 PM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/29/14 05:11 AM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:53 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
Forum Stats
22904 Members
36 Forums
35564 Topics
432456 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 10 of 11 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 >
Topic Options
#167506 - 07/04/06 02:11 AM Re: Boxing for realistic self defense?? [Re: JKogas]
Mr_Heretik Offline
Veteran

Loc: Bronx NY, USA
You're right about that last comment. Then are you saying that martial arts don't really discipline people? Or does that only happen to the martial artists who decide to train for more than 3 months? I think its much more likely that if a martial artist is a p2ick and starts looking for fights, then they probably didn't train for very long. Thats just my opinion...

EDIT - Sorry, I don't mean to derail the thread.

Edited by Mr_Heretik (07/04/06 02:16 AM)

#167507 - 07/04/06 07:18 AM Re: Boxing for realistic self defense?? [Re: JKogas]
Leo_E_49 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: California
Agreed, they come in all shapes and sizes... and mentalities.

I've seen people walking around on the street wearing their Gis and when someone causes trouble, they point at their belt as if to say "watch it mate, I know <such and such MA>". Very foolish and a poor representation of martial artists, but it does happen.

It doesn't matter how long they train, these people won't change. MA doesn't change people, you can't force people to change. What you can do is give them a good reason to change and help them if they want to. But the intention to change has to be there, if they don't want to change they won't.

Also, remember that MA in the "East" was a breeding ground for gangsterism in the '60s-'90s. MA has unfortunately had connections with organised crime for centuries. Some instructors are out to create and cultivate street fighters, so even instructors can be an unruly and violent bunch. All is not peachy in the MA world, but as long as you keep away from all that, you'll be fine.

Edited by Leo_E_49 (07/04/06 07:24 AM)

#167508 - 07/06/06 12:26 PM Re: Boxing for realistic self defense?? [Re: Mr_Heretik]
Neko456 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Midwest City, Ok, USA
Let me say this any pugilist skill that only promotes sports competition breds I'm better then you and I'll prove it attitude, it seems. I've seen disciplined Martial artist take up kickboxing, boxing and Thai Boxing and turn into very aggressive always wanting to prove or fight happy aggressors. Now I agree there has been some rouge Karatekas but by comparison, I can't compare the numbers. If you are taught to walk away and self discipline then you will do it. You fight the way, you are trained.

And before its asked doesn't Karate teach the sport competition attitude. NO not True Karate or Judo. Now their is a Sport Karate and True Karate discipline should be taught in both but as the begining statment states, its true for the sport aspect of karate training also.

Now maybe this only happens in my nake of the woods. But on average if taught the proper way a Karate person will turn down a fight. I've had kickboxers, boxers and Thai boxing friends accept to fight for me. I have drag them away and talk to them all night about it not being worth it.

Back on topic boxing is effective on the street, it is a discipline but it doesn't always teach socail discipline for societies sake. I've found more wrestlers that will turn down fights then boxers. Even though the wrestler knew he'd tear the guy a new a$$ confidant wise, u never know, u just feel it.

I agree totally that if you add somethings to boxing it will be well rounded. Thats what I did but I don't call myself a boxer because its only a 8th of what I do. Nor do I train to box in ring or train for gloves contact.

As for me address boxing in a sport arena Heavy gloves stated he may try MMA, I only gave him warning of not thinking his boxing training was gonna give him immeadiate success. It won't not if they know he can hit, he going to the ground or have sore thighs and give up. Until he learns more then boxing.

Boxing great but its not the holy grail. Thats all I'm saying. I won't even go into doorman or bouncing experience, which depends on teamwork you'd be crazy to mono mono it. You may only work one weekend before your 1st ambulance ride, if one thinks like that. JMO. Not saying you do or don't, but saying teamwork is more important then what MA you know in that field.

Edited by Neko456 (07/06/06 12:42 PM)

#167509 - 07/06/06 08:57 PM Re: Boxing for realistic self defense?? [Re: Shah_k_mate]
ANDY44 Offline
Revolutionary!

Hi

Some realy good points. I have in the past trained both, gloved and bare knuckle but now only train bareknuckle. Gloved does all the things you mentioned if a good coach is available but I think there is a difference in technique for gloved punches and bareknuckle punches.

Most people try to hit with the outer two knuckles(none thumb side), so if a hard surface is hit then busted knuckle syndrome. occurs.

If some one were to use their forehead as a block against a hard hitting, hands developed, bare knuckle boxer/karate ka then I think the outcome would be interesting.
Against the normal street fighter I can see your valid point.

I think the original Te on Okinawa was a form of bare knuckle boxing, I might be wrong but after some study it seems to be right.

So in my opinion the original bare knuckle boxing and the Te in kara-te would be very similar.

With the use of gloves later in boxing the techniques were changed.

#167510 - 07/14/06 11:31 PM Re: Boxing for realistic self defense?? [Re: Leo_E_49]
fileboy2002 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Chicago, IL
Few martial artists are as well prepared to face real life violence as boxers and judoka. However, this is not because boxing or judo are inherently "better" than other arts. The real secret is in the way boxers and judoka train.

Boxers and judoka regularly face off against actively resisting opponents under intense, realistic conditions. Over the years, boxing and judo's techniques and training methods have evolved, guided by the lessons gleaned from realistic competition.

Unfortunately, many martials artists never engage in realistic fighting at all because their arts do not have realistic fighting as part of the curriculum. Aikido is an example.

In other arts, the "competetive" versions are so stripped down and restricted that the "fights" are worthless as realistic simulations. Taekwondo--where, for example, competeters get points for light taps and hitting in the face with the hands is forbidden (!!!)--is an example.

#167511 - 07/15/06 07:23 AM Re: Boxing for realistic self defense?? [Re: heavygloves]
ANDY44 Offline
Revolutionary!

Hi

I can see your point. But why would a person want to take a hard shot?And I think you perhaps mean a boxer if he /she is any good might ride a punch. That means they sway with it so as not to get hit full force.

When i first started in boxing I took hard shots because my defense etc was practily nil.

Believe it or not it was actualy blocking from karate that i then began to use in boxing. I think some one had stated some where on the forum about fast punches being hard to block. Well fast punches can be blocked, avoided and countered. It take s time to develop these skills. Boxers tend to throw punches and have certain stances that are easy to read once a person has been at it long enough.

Top pro heavy weights use blocks, very simular to blocks found in karate, then punch with the same hand

Im not knocking boxing, just it isnt the end all.

If a person who is use to gloved boxing hit some one full force and connected on the forehead then the boxer would more than likely have a broken hand. If the boxer has also trained un gloved correctly then the outcome might be different

#167512 - 07/15/06 12:53 PM Re: Boxing for realistic self defense?? [Re: ANDY44]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Quote by ANDY44 -

Quote:

I can see your point. But why would a person want to take a hard shot?And I think you perhaps mean a boxer if he /she is any good might ride a punch. That means they sway with it so as not to get hit full force.

When i first started in boxing I took hard shots because my defense etc was practily nil.

Very good point, Andy. Ironically, one of the best things about doing some hard-contact training is that you will learn to NOT take strikes full-on. In other words, you learn to use body positioning to mitigate the force of the strikes that do land.

Something that is almost impossible to learn in the absence of contact.

#167513 - 07/20/06 12:47 AM Re: Boxing for realistic self defense?? [Re: Mr_Heretik]
JKD__ Offline

my friend ounce fought a golden glove boxer,at first it was a standing fight and the boxer literally beat up my friend until he almost got knocked out..but luckily my friend tackled the boxer and they started wrestling thats when my friend got his revenge...so boxing is good for standing up fights..but you might wanna do some wrestling too just incase...

#167514 - 07/20/06 08:25 PM Re: Boxing for realistic self defense?? [Re: JKD__]
paradoxbox Offline
Enthusiast

Quote:

my friend ounce fought a golden glove boxer,at first it was a standing fight and the boxer literally beat up my friend until he almost got knocked out..but luckily my friend tackled the boxer and they started wrestling thats when my friend got his revenge...so boxing is good for standing up fights..but you might wanna do some wrestling too just incase...

This is a sound policy.

Also remember that in the real world boxers don't wear gloves and you're not going to last more than a few hits from ungloved hands.

Bareknuckle boxing hurts. Don't get hit by a boxer in the real world.

#167515 - 07/21/06 01:12 AM Re: Boxing for realistic self defense?? [Re: fileboy2002]
JKD__ Offline

i think doing boxing gives you some advantages on the street....reasons
you learn how to dodge attacks
you can take a lot of hits
some punches like the right cross,hooks,and the uppercut to the chin should be devastating in the streets
more stamina
you usually are in shape...

the only problem is ground fighting

Page 10 of 11 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 >

Moderator:  Cord, Dedicated1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga