FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 53 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 4
Ronin1966 3
AndyLA 1
GojuRyuboy13 1
Matakiant 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
Today at 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
Recent Posts
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
Today at 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by cxt
10/10/14 10:08 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35582 Topics
432509 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10 11 >
Topic Options
#167436 - 02/15/06 03:58 AM Re: Boxing for realistic self defense?? [Re: Cord]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
Quote:

Chanters, i agree with you in a sense, no one wants to be rolling around on the floor fighting outside a pub, but on the other hand, no one should want to be stood slugging it out outside a pub either. Any form of fighting is far less preferable to a peaceful existence.
The point about ground work is that if some idiot attacks you, coming in hard and swinging, and you are still upright as his advance is stopped by getting up close to you, there is a strong chance that he will grab/push/clinch up with you. From here, as you attempt to push him away/free yourself, or he continues to try and overpower you, there is a strong possibility of you falling over. It does happen. Now its happened you want to get up, but he wont let you, what do you do?
Ground fighting is not about making a choice to be there, its about being able to cope when it happens, its also about becoming better at keeping your balance when people attempt to put you on the ground, so works to help keep you upright.
If there was real choice in a true SD situation, then there would be neither stand up or ground fighting, just a nice chat to diffuse the problem.

Can't add much to that!!! +1

#167437 - 02/15/06 06:42 AM Re: Boxing for realistic self defense?? [Re: Cord]
Chanters Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Manchester, UK
Certain things have become more clearer now. Thanks Cord!

#167438 - 02/15/06 09:56 AM Re: Boxing for realistic self defense?? [Re: Glockmeister]
Neko456 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Midwest City, Ok, USA
I'm sure he means the different fighting ranges. Standup,close in(clinch,grappling),and ground.

Thats almost what I mean boxers handle themself ok in the mid-clinch, but once wraped up or on the ground most are confused and drowned like most pure strikers (so I'm not just cutting on boxers, just an observation most MA teach some counters). I've seen some boxers on street give some awesome whippings, but I've also seen some kicked in knee and grion or taken down and got the pi$$ whipped out them. Thats what I mean they lack in ranges. Boxing is a mid-range art IMO.

Of course in a perfect world I agree with Chanters and Cord.
Here birds chripping and violins playing.

Edited by Neko456 (02/15/06 09:57 AM)

#167439 - 02/15/06 12:00 PM Re: Boxing for realistic self defense?? [Re: Neko456]
Chanters Offline
Enthusiast

There's nothing stopping someone who know's how to box from kicking and using their elbow's and knees etc in a real fight. I'm not trained to strike but I'd still kick, punch and knee if I had to!

#167440 - 02/15/06 12:32 PM Re: Boxing for realistic self defense?? [Re: Chanters]
Neko456 Offline
Professional Poster

I've seen untrained and trained people try new stuff in a real fight, its not the best time to try something new unless he's wide open. In a real fight its best to fight with your tried and true techniques, IMHO.

You are right I've seen a many people try to use kicks on the street miss, slip or be caught and there on their behind and getting punched like a volley ball or kicked like a foot ball. In close clinching a guy thats not use to using elbow and knees against a guy that trains that way, good night sweet charlotte. Theres not that much room for a mistake. The trained person can block and counter and the untrained thinks he CAN, whose got the odds???? bad time to test this idea.

But you are right anybody can try new stuff in a fight, if they want to. But I would never, why take a chance. It takes a lot of training to get a boxer to give up his base, but if a guys wide open it could work.

#167441 - 02/17/06 06:53 AM Re: Boxing for realistic self defense?? [Re: Neko456]
Chanters Offline
Enthusiast

Quote:

But you are right anybody can try new stuff in a fight, if they want to. But I would never, why take a chance.

So are you saying because you've never trained to do a certain thing you'd NEVER try it out if attacked? What if you're in a situation where you're not in a position to execute a technique? Would you just stand there and take a beating because your techniques couldn't be carried out? I've never trained in eye gouging etc and I doubt many people do, but it's still something I'd use if pushed to. I've never trained in throwing a pint glass before but I'd use it if it was justified, (i.e keeping distance between the attacker and myself). Just because I haven't been trained in certain types of defence, doesn't mean you should rule out using them if you run out of options.

#167442 - 02/17/06 12:00 PM Re: Boxing for realistic self defense?? [Re: Chanters]
Little Dragon Offline

You're very right Chanters.Around last year I went with a friend to pick up his kid brother from his school, I saw two tall kids arguing, and suddenly one of them turned quickly, and just gave him a spinning back kick. It was so quick and effective that you would think this kid was a skilled MA master. I asked that kid if he trained in martial arts, or any other fighting art, he said he didn't he had just seen it in a movie, and thought it was a pretty cool move.

Little Dragon

-The expert in anything was once a begginer

#167443 - 02/18/06 02:49 PM Re: Boxing for realistic self defense?? [Re: Chanters]
Neko456 Offline
Professional Poster

Circumstances will cause you to respond with makeshift methods we try to teach & use them in class so you look to use and deter them. Even so to finish the encounter you continue with trained techniques. I'm glad you can improvises on the fly and trust that it will work. But training in these techniques helps your success.

Dragon.. If not why train at all why not just watch TV, movies and read books.

Chanter - I'm not a really good Aikido person (as you are, I'm assumimg) while attempting to use these taught techniques on the street to make an arrest. I had to coach the person into the lock, by striking then they wanted to fall into the lock more peacefully. My point is that if I was better at Aikido/Jujistsu techniques back then I would have had to hit them less. By using (as I learned later) bumps, pushes or strikes to the hip or weigh shifting, works and looks better so far as PR is concern. But a shin kick in boots & a sweep, or a scraping elbow to the ribs or palm to solar plex or chin worked back then. But noticed I improvised with techniques that I knew worked (The locks worked in class). I also learned that serious Aiki-Jujitsu people do strike, I was taught that the just using the locks would work.

Dragon ...Thats the difference in a Trained MA and a guy that watches TV or Movie, he probably couldn't do that again and it won't work against an alert aggressive opponent. Its called Luck. A trained person can repeat the technique, until you counter it, then counter your counter.

Chanter - We spar to block and deliever eyes gouges (really eye flicks and sweeps much faster) in combinations with leg kicks attacking the knee or being swepted and a guy tries to eye gouge, its in at least two of our traditional Kiso-kumite at 3rd kyu Brown and Nidan. We spar in goggles when practicing for this at a certain level, but not in the Kiso its trained traditionaly bare.
I swear if you train at it you are better at it. I'm trying to be funny don't take offense. Please.

Edited by Neko456 (02/18/06 07:48 PM)

#167444 - 02/18/06 03:47 PM Re: Boxing for realistic self defense?? [Re: Chanters]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
Quote:

Sorry to be pedantic but boxing isn't strictly a martial art, it's a sport.

Sorry if this has already been stated....BUT:

Boxing is a "sport" so long as someone intends on "being 'sportive'" about it.

Ever heard of "dirty" boxing?

Ever heard of boxing as a "delivery system" (art) as opposed to "just" a "ring sport"?

The only thing about boxing being a sport is if and when it is being competed as one. If and when a skilled boxer knocks someone unconscious in a street fight and then chooses to run over him with his car - is THAT still being "sportive"?

Chanters wrote:

Quote:

That's not to say that it's not useful as a form of self defence, perhaps quite the opposite. And I agree that it would be a good asset to anyone who is keen to improve their self defence skills.

Right on brother (or sister.... )

The whole boxing and wrestling being "sport" is somewhat tired don't you think? I mean, if you're training those arts strictly for sportive strategies, that's one thing. If you're training them with open eyes toward a street situation is another.

Either way, the skillsets created by the sheer practice is where the value lies. When one has skill in their delivery systems, you can then improvise strategy. But you CAN'T improvise skill.

Situations change, but delivery systems remain constant.

-John

#167445 - 02/18/06 03:52 PM Re: Boxing for realistic self defense?? [Re: JKogas]
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Ms
Excellent John. If I had anything to add to the topic it would be that boxing, along with any other style, can be combat effective if trained with that goal in mind. And also not to rely on just on system of delivery. If you train for combat purpose than you must train all levels of contact. Not just Punching and not Just wrestling.

Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10 11 >

Moderator:  Cord, Dedicated1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga