FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 25 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jwwmantis 2
futsaowingchun 1
Zombie Zero 1
Beefcake 1
LeroyCFischer 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35591 Topics
432526 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#167163 - 07/14/05 04:07 PM Re: Ever get sick of teaching? [Re: McSensei]
Ironfoot Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: St. Clair Shores, MI USA
The percentages of dedicated students appears to be universal. People just have so many options nowadays. But don't let it bother you. If all who started MA had our dedication, there'd be more sensei than students.

#167164 - 07/14/05 06:27 PM Re: Ever get sick of teaching? [Re: Ironfoot]
McSensei Offline
Veteran

Loc: Kent, England
Thankyou all for your posts. As you can probably tell, I don't want to be teaching if my heart isn't in it. That would be doing a disservice to the students that are dedicated.
The idea of three misses and out sounds good, however, that is not my decision to make as I teach for an organization, it is not my own club.

Butterfly,
In total I have trained for 8 1/2 yrs. and started teaching 4 1/2 yrs ago.
The club IS a bit of a McDojo in the sense that they recruit door to door and they use low grades as instructors disguised in black and white belts. (hence my username)
The saving grace is the quality of instruction available to the higher grades.
Another moral dilemma I have is what would happen to the students if I quit. I could be replaced by some 4th kyu with no real knowledge to impart. I've already been told by some they would leave if I quit.

Victor,
Do you not find it really frustrating when you teach a class
something really unique and the following class you wish to make reference to it, look around and realise that most are blank faced because they weren't there?
I did this recently and if I had hair, I'd have torn it out.

I have felt like this for some time now and thinking those hours spent preparing classes and time teaching, I could be
doing Judo (recently started again after doing it for a year at school) or jujitsu or just more karate. At least I know I
would be there week in, week out.
Please excuse the rant and thanks again for all advice.

#167165 - 07/14/05 07:24 PM Re: Ever get sick of teaching? [Re: McSensei]
butterfly Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Torrance, CA
McSensie,

Take heart, you are just as human as the rest of us. And as far as your frustration and desire to leave, go where you mind and heart tell you.

I will say that I have been in the unenvialble position of considering staying for the benefit of those who are being taught as well. And it is not fun...

As far as teaching, I am wondering if you can go from a week to week plan so that the classes during any one week can cover a main idea with expansion of concepts and techniques related to the section being taught? This way, if someone comes all during the week, they will get the "Full Monty" so to speak, but if someone misses a day or two (if this is something that can be covered in the course of 5 week days), that individual won't be entirely lost and will at least be able to make the jump in getting instruction.

-B

#167166 - 07/14/05 08:08 PM Re: Ever get sick of teaching? [Re: McSensei]
Victor Smith Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Derry, NH
McSensei,

"Victor,Do you not find it really frustrating when you teach a class something really unique and the following class you wish to make reference to it, look around and realise that most are blank faced because they weren't there? I did this recently and if I had hair, I'd have torn it out."

No because it's never lost, I always document what I've taught when I do something new. My first interest is my own journey.

But I learned very early you have to distance yourself from your students. O'you must teach to your fullest, but you really can't control how they learn or any of the variables that are in their hands.

And even though they don't show signs of remembering things, your unique examples layer into their lives and you'd be surprised how years later they bear fruit.

I early on saw instructors leave teaching for exactly the same frustrations you're experiencing. How about having 100 - 200 dans move on and leave you? If you look at things that way it is disheartening.

But when your teaching your also training yourself, and enhancing your ability to communicate. Karate neve has been a constant thing, if you love what you're doing you enhance your own ability to communicate as you teach, regardless of whether the students percieve it or not.

From a communications circuit point of view, you can't control how what you say is percived at the other end. All you can do is keep communicating.

Lets take a real world issue, away from karate. Everything you do is creating communication circuits with others. You might make a harmless, or humorous comment to a co-worker from the other sex (pick any one of Samuel R. Delaney's 56 sexes you wish), but if they perceive it as harrassing, it is harrassing, to them, whether you intended it that way or not.

When you share you're in the same boat. Step here, punch like this, etc. Will they get it? The longer you do it you learn to develop long term goals, or you'll move on, IMVHO.

And if you think you have problems, think back 100 or so years. The instructor didn't even have a technical vocabulary for karate. The Oki. Hogen term for everything translattes 'put your hand here'. It was all hands on instruction.

Personally I think this is why a lot of karate was not taught. The instructor realized the student if they didn't share decades of work on their art, didn't have the where to all to really learn those answers. So instead teach them simpler, appropriate karate. It may have been too frustrating to share more? Of course this last is just speculation.

I've been training young people for 27 years. In that time 100% of those who stay into dan training leave me. As much as they do in karate, their life is more important. Family, school, work, etc. Believe me your efforts sharing do make an impact, but it may be 15 years later when they show up on your door and remind you of something you can't remember that you realize what you really did.

It's just there often is no short term 'reward', unless the cycle is where there are short term rewards.

But hey, what do I know?

Edited by Victor Smith (07/14/05 08:11 PM)

#167167 - 07/14/05 09:34 PM Re: Ever get sick of teaching? [Re: Victor Smith]
SANCHIN31 Offline
Former Moderator

Loc: Arkansas, U.S.
Quote:

But hey, what do I know?

From what I read here and in many past posts,you know and share a lifetime of knowledge.(that's what!)

#167168 - 07/15/05 10:00 AM Re: Ever get sick of teaching? [Re: SANCHIN31]
McSensei Offline
Veteran

Loc: Kent, England
Quote:

Quote:

But hey, what do I know?

From what I read here and in many past posts,you know and share a lifetime of knowledge.(that's what!)

I'll second that.
It is apparent to me that you have forgotten more about karate than most of us will ever know!

#167169 - 07/16/05 08:26 PM Re: Ever get sick of teaching? [Re: Victor Smith]
Reiki Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: MiddleEarth
Great post Victor!
Enjoyed the reference to Samuel R Delaney and communication.

IMHO The journey, the learning and the teaching are all intertwined, and I think you can't have one without the other.

I enjoy every sessions challenges, even when it all turns to custard there is a lesson there for us to learn from.

And if I get a bit frustrated I just look at our head instructor and get inspired again.

#167170 - 07/17/05 02:28 PM Re: Ever get sick of teaching? [Re: McSensei]
japgirl Offline

Loc: Baltimore, Md. USA
My bf is getting tried of teaching kids under age9 with the attention span of a cheese sandwitch(sp), and fat, balding, mid-life crisis, white-guys to use a sword. Just because he's 16 it doesn't mean that it's easy! In other words have a age limit!

#167171 - 07/17/05 02:40 PM Re: Ever get sick of teaching? [Re: japgirl]
Intrepidinv1 Offline

Loc: NC, USA
Japgirl,

Please take it easy on us middle aged, bald guys. I've been studying martial arts for over 25 years (I lose count.) I have been considering taking up the sword too! I guess I shouldn't come to your class? I don't think I've had a mid life crisis yet, my life is a crisis most of the time!

#167172 - 07/17/05 05:48 PM Re: Ever get sick of teaching? [Re: Intrepidinv1]
japgirl Offline

Loc: Baltimore, Md. USA
I'm talking about people with no background with any like this. Then theirs the ones who think the weapon makes the man. Ex. I watch my Bf teach his class and a bunch of suburban, fat, unexpericed men came through the door with real swords. Roger(my Bf) picks up a 3 foot bamboo stick, telling them to bring it. THey did, then they went through the big window. But that wasn't the end, Roger took the swords and scared them. He beat them with a stick of bamboo! Roger gets mad when the unworthy handle weapons.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, tkd_high_green 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga