FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 50 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 4
Ronin1966 3
AndyLA 1
GojuRyuboy13 1
Matakiant 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
Recent Posts
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by cxt
10/10/14 10:08 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35582 Topics
432509 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#165778 - 07/09/05 02:33 PM The Underhook (Clinch)
Fletch1 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Florida
From a point that was discussed in the you against you thread.

When working standup clinch, how much emphasis do you put on trying to get a good underhook? I have worked with people who give up an underhook for a whizzer (overwrap) because they immediately go for a takedown/ throw. From a more conservative standpoint, I think that you have many more options from an underhook.

#1 As we talked about before, a duckunder can take you straight to the back where you can do a takedown, dominate position or disengage and transition.

#2 A tight underhook and head in the pocket can help you maintain an effective flank position and help prevent the guy from squaring up with you. This opens and maintains opportunities to strike from safety. It is difficult for him to punch effectively with his free arm while your head is jammed in his neck and if he elects to try to rabbit puch you with the near arm, he gives you a wide berth to take the back.

#3 From and underhook, it is easier to reach down with the underhooking arm to grab a high or low single leg on the near side.

Is it the magic bullet? Of course not. But anyone working clinch in my opinion, would be wise to spend a significant amout of time with this position.

***This is what I would like to see continue with this forum. If a good point is brought up, explore it.

#165779 - 07/09/05 03:16 PM Re: The Underhook (Clinch) [Re: Fletch1]
BigRod Offline
Does it all

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Excellent post.

Underhooks do give you a lot of options, no doubt. Definately spend time learning underhooks and the options they open up for you.

But it's probably more important to learn how to operate in the clinch using techniques that work off both over and underhooks, which is my philosophy.

Getting yourself focused on one set of options is very limited and you'll miss other opportunities, or worse, you won't recognize what your opponent is about to do to you.

But since we're talking about underhooks, here's another option. This was introduced to me as a body lock, although I know it has other names.

Once you get the underhooks, reach around your opponent, clasp your hands together right at his lower back, and pull him into you. This will distrupt his balance, and allow you to literally walk over him, taking him down and putting you in the mount. You can also wrap one of your legs around his to add a trip as you apply this move.

#165780 - 07/09/05 04:00 PM Re: The Underhook (Clinch) [Re: BigRod]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Body Lock

I have not heard that name before, but I was shown that move by one of my friends that did BJJ. Works very well with the leg trip as mentioned by BigRod.

Royce used that several times in the UFC.

#165781 - 07/09/05 06:36 PM Re: The Underhook (Clinch) [Re: MattJ]
Fletch1 Offline
Professional Poster

Double underhooks into a body lock is a primary focus of the clinch for sure. Once you have contol of the center mass/ torso & hips, it is generally a lot easier to control so you can throw, takedown, etc.

The emphasis with double unders though, is on dumping them. If you can't, then you might be in trouble if the guy is squared up and has a good whizzer.

A game of initiative. One good reason not to try to make Greco training static.

#165782 - 07/10/05 05:42 PM Re: The Underhook (Clinch) [Re: Fletch1]
Ubermint Offline

People tend to forget that fighting for underhooks is almost as important on the ground. It can make the difference between being held under side control and escaping, and it's integral to the butterfly guard game.

#165783 - 07/10/05 07:48 PM Re: The Underhook (Clinch) [Re: Fletch1]
Anonymous
Unregistered

The underhook works great for BJJ it opens up so many sweeps.

But I've been working on the wheelchair clinch for some time now and I discovered that underhooks could actually save lives. If your enemy gets close enough apply underhooks lock your hands force his/her shoulders together. Simulatineously, raise your locked hands(keep them locked and continue applying pressure w/ your elbows and forearms) then drive them into the back as if you were performing a hammerfist. This can jam shoulders, crack vertabres, and even cause paralysis if the strike is delivered to the correct area of the back. SO PLEASE BE CAREFUL WHEN PRACTICING THIS TECHNIQUE.

#165784 - 07/11/05 09:34 PM Re: The Underhook (Clinch)
BigRod Offline
Does it all

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Quote:

If your enemy gets close enough apply underhooks lock your hands force his/her shoulders together.

Where are you placing your hands that's going to force the opponents shoulders together?

Quote:

Simulatineously, raise your locked hands(keep them locked and continue applying pressure w/ your elbows and forearms) then drive them into the back as if you were performing a hammerfist.

Raise the hands to where? From where? And what are your elbows and forearms applying pressure to?

Quote:

This can jam shoulders, crack vertabres, and even cause paralysis if the strike is delivered to the correct area of the back.

Huh?

I'm especially interested in how this is so deadly you can paralyze someone.

#165785 - 07/11/05 09:54 PM Re: The Underhook (Clinch) [Re: BigRod]
kusojiji Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: kokokokokoko
Quote:

Once you get the underhooks, reach around your opponent, clasp your hands together right at his lower back, and pull him into you. This will distrupt his balance, and allow you to literally walk over him, taking him down and putting you in the mount. You can also wrap one of your legs around his to add a trip as you apply this move.

True, true. But if you can get double unders on someone they...what's the French word for it?... Le Suck

Optional signature you may use to appear at bottom of your posts. Note: The Signature feature is currently not enabled by this bulletin board's administrator. You may use UBB Code in this field, but not HTML. The UBB Code Image tag is not permitted, however.

#165786 - 07/12/05 12:44 AM Re: The Underhook (Clinch) [Re: kusojiji]
Fletch1 Offline
Professional Poster

LOL

Le Suck or they haven't trained the clinch.

Occasionally I will have students who have trained for 3-4 years come visit our school and get double underhooked all over the mat.

#165787 - 07/12/05 01:17 AM Re: The Underhook (Clinch) [Re: Fletch1]
kusojiji Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: kokokokokoko
Quote:

Occasionally I will have students who have trained for 3-4 years come visit our school and get double underhooked all over the mat.

Whoa. Trained what for 3-4 years?
Optional signature you may use to appear at bottom of your posts. Note: The Signature feature is currently not enabled by this bulletin board's administrator. You may use UBB Code in this field, but not HTML. The UBB Code Image tag is not permitted, however.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Cord, Fletch1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga