FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 31 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 4
Ronin1966 3
GojuRyuboy13 2
Matakiant 1
cxt 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
Recent Posts
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
Yesterday at 07:20 AM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35582 Topics
432510 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#165594 - 07/12/05 02:39 AM Re: Gun laws: too much or not enough? [Re: dadoody5]
Bushi_no_ki Offline
Veteran

Loc: POM, Monterey CA
As stated before, I don't know how to post links, but I've seen several sets of stats about crime rates and gun control laws, and in every case, when the source given was reliable the numbers for violent crime/sex crimes were much lower for right to carry states as opposed to restrictive states. Sites promoted by the NRA or 2nd Amendment groups may seem biased, but why is it that pro gun control sites always quote stats from news media known for their liberal biases? Any of the pro gun rights groups are routinely quoting stats by the FBI, US Justice Department, Univerities/law schools. Do the comparisons, and see what there is for stats.

#165595 - 07/12/05 03:24 AM Re: Gun laws: too much or not enough? [Re: dadoody5]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Quote:

Have you been living in a f---ing hole?
I'm a proud Asian American who strongly supports the 2nd amendment. You probably wouldn't understand the reality of crime and self-defense until you're mugged yourself or worse.

I respect your standpoint and am not anti gun per se, but what works in one culture does not necessarily work in another. Britain does still have very little gun crime in relation to its population. What gun crime there is tends to be concentrated in certain specific areas (inner cities that have become known , even notorious, areas nationaly), these areas inflate the national picture artificialy.

Living across the atlantic, you are not in the strongest position to speak with authority on the state of Britain and its social issues, anymore than I could offer true insight into american culture and its good and bad points.

#165596 - 07/12/05 05:47 AM Re: Gun laws: too much or not enough? [Re: dadoody5]
Raziel00uk Offline

Anyone seen the new batman film? well this is badly misquoted by me but it's the genral idea, the cop guy tlaking to bat man says soemhting like:

They use knives so we get pstols
they get pistols so we use sub machine guns and body armour
they get blah blah
and now we got batman...

obiviously refering to whats to come (all the mad criminals liek the joker etc ) but my point with that is if your gonna rob etc you generally want the advantage ( weaponn ) if everyone has guns to defende themselves...

#165597 - 07/12/05 08:59 AM Re: Gun laws: too much or not enough? [Re: SANCHIN31]
fattts14 Offline

Loc: T.O. On, Can
Quote:

They destroy drugs everyday,everywhere,yet the criminals still have them. We don't need stricter laws,we need to enforce the laws already in place. THAT would reduce gun crime.

What laws are already in place?
What is the proccess of obtaining a permit?

THe rite to bear arms...probably wasn't so much of a bad idea when you needed them to hunt for food, and protection against bears and mountain lions, or fighting of the red-coats.
BUt now that we have grocery stores, and there isn't too many bears roaming the streets these days, and the Brits and Americans are allies...do you really think you still need that gun? We got strict gun laws up here, and although there is still guns and gun crime, I feel safe walking down whatever street at whatever time not packing heat.

#165598 - 07/12/05 10:18 AM Re: Gun laws: too much or not enough? [Re: fattts14]
SANCHIN31 Offline
Former Moderator

Loc: Arkansas, U.S.
Quote:

dadoody, Keep it civil.Comments like this aren't necessary and could be construed as a personal attack.

Quote by fatts
Quote:

What laws are already in place?

Do your own searching and research.There are too many gun laws to be listed and they vary from state to state.

Quote:

What is the proccess of obtaining a permit?

Same as above.

Quote:

THe rite to bear arms...probably wasn't so much of a bad idea when you needed them to hunt for food, and protection against bears and mountain lions, or fighting of the red-coats.
BUt now that we have grocery stores, and there isn't too many bears roaming the streets these days, and the Brits and Americans are allies...do you really think you still need that gun? We got strict gun laws up here, and although there is still guns and gun crime, I feel safe walking down whatever street at whatever time not packing heat.

There are many more reasons for the second ammendment than what you stated.One is to keep the governing body from being too governing.

#165599 - 07/12/05 11:03 AM Re: Gun laws: too much or not enough? [Re: dadoody5]
MAGr Offline
Veteran

Loc: London, home: Athens
Quote:

I could take the two last words and make one hell of a comeback but I will keep it civil and not talk about your relatives.

Lets deal with the first link you posted, these are quotes from the article:

Quote:

Home Office minister Hazel Blears said: "The risk of a fatal shooting in England and Wales is still one of the lowest in the world."

Last year there were 80 fatal incidents compared to 95 the year before - a reduction of around one sixth

Overall crime rates remained "unchanged" according to recorded crime figures, but the number of offences reported by interviewees in the British Crime Survey, which excludes crimes against children and businesses, fell by 5%.

The British Crime Survey, which includes crimes not reported to police, also found:

Overall crime fell
The risk of being a victim is the same as in 1981, at 26.9%
There were 5% fewer violent crimes reported to the survey in the 12 months to June 2003
Recorded robbery fell 7% in April-June 2003 compared to same period last year

So where in the above did you find something saying that there has been an exponential rise in gun crime or crime in general in the UK?

Quote:

I'm a proud Asian American who strongly supports the 2nd amendment

Ok dude, you ve convinced me now!
The statistics game has been played before and it has been found that you can find statistics to prove that the Earth is flat, believe me I used to be an analyst.

I think whatever causes deaths to be less is good. But giving people more dangerous weapons is not the answer IMO. Do you support the 2nd amendment (that talks about the right to have arms if I am not mistaken) because you think that criminals will get guns and therefore there is no point in having law abiding citizens not having them to defend themselves and their homes? How bout you try to answer the fact that law abiding citizens ARE the criminals. Ok so some of them are re offending criminals, but a lot of them are ex-law abiders arent they?

Also, why is are there so many gun related deaths in the US if, like you said, criminals get dissuaded by the fact that a citizen may be packing heat?

I think you want a gun because you feel safer behind it. The solution to unecessary deaths is not to give an illusion of safety to a citizen because his tool of defence is bigger than his neighbours. The solution is hidden in people's mentality and irresponsibility. You think that when someone is drunk or high or pumped on adrenaline is thinking about the consequences of the law. Ok, so some people in the UK have been attacked by gun carrying dudes and have been shot whilst been unable to defend themselves adequately, but that doesnt hide the fact that a lot less gun crimes happen because no one has easy access to guns.

#165600 - 07/12/05 11:19 AM Re: Gun laws: too much or not enough? [Re: MAGr]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
MAGr -

Lots of people have firearms in the USA or sporting purposes, so let's not call people cowards for having them.

The problem, as you pointed out, is law abiding folks that get weapons and use them in improper circumstances. How do you enforce laws on people that are not yet law-breakers?

#165601 - 07/12/05 11:29 AM Re: Gun laws: too much or not enough? [Re: MattJ]
MAGr Offline
Veteran

Quote:

Lots of people have firearms in the USA or sporting purposes, so let's not call people cowards for having them.

No, of course not. I also go hunting and I own a rifle. But its not kept loaded, I dont have it in my car or on my person, and in fact it is kept locked in my safe only to be brought out when I go hunting. Hunting rifles and shotguns are allowed in the UK, its the hand guns and the semis/autos that are banned. Also, for someone who goes hunting, unless yuo are hunting elephants there is no reason to have slugs.#

Quote:

How do you enforce laws on people that are not yet law-breakers?

Its called a pre-emptive law. I think it is fair enough. How do you ban countries owning nuclear missiles if they havent launched one yet?

#165602 - 07/12/05 11:52 AM Re: Gun laws: too much or not enough? [Re: MAGr]
nekogami13 V2.0 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Texas, USA
The US has something like over 1,200 federal laws regarding firearms.
These address improper ownership of firearms(felons have no right to own,etc.) to punishing people committing crimes with firearms.

We, here in the US, do not need more laws. We need proper enforcement of the laws already in place.

PS. regarding shotgun slugs-people use them to hunt deer, because they do not wish to buy a seperate rifle.

#165603 - 07/12/05 12:04 PM Re: Gun laws: too much or not enough? [Re: nekogami13 V2.0]
MAGr Offline
Veteran

Quote:

regarding shotgun slugs-people use them to hunt deer, because they do not wish to buy a seperate rifle

Only because they cant shoot well enough..

Like I said people who use the guns IMO, usually dont evaluate the risk of punishment nor do they care about the consequences at the time.
But yes the existing ones need to be enforced and tightened.

Edited by MAGr (07/12/05 12:35 PM)

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Cord, Dedicated1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga