FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 39 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jwwmantis 2
futsaowingchun 1
Zombie Zero 1
Beefcake 1
LeroyCFischer 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35591 Topics
432526 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#165574 - 07/11/05 12:56 AM Re: Gun laws: too much or not enough? [Re: BuDoc]
dadoody5 Offline

And with this knowledge, you would think making laws to prevent citizens from owning firearms would curb the criminal and/or law enforcement shooting incidents?

The case has been the opposite in the UK.

Edited by dadoody5 (07/11/05 12:57 AM)

#165575 - 07/11/05 05:09 AM Re: Gun laws: too much or not enough? [Re: dadoody5]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
I dislike statistics, but i can guarantee that there are less gun related crimes in the UK than in the U.S.
This is reflected in the policing of the country. Yes there are now more armed response units, but they are only called in when necessary, the day to day policing is still done without firearms, this is in proportion to the relatively small likelyhood of encountering firearms in their day to day duties.

#165576 - 07/11/05 06:16 AM Re: Gun laws: too much or not enough? [Re: dadoody5]
MAGr Offline
Veteran

Loc: London, home: Athens
Quote:

In England, the gun law is too much. Citizens can no longer protect themselves, and the criminals are taking advantage of this. If you'll notice, crime has jumped exponentially in the UK since handguns were banned.

What are you talking about??
Dont state assumptions as facts, because someone may actually believe you!
It hasnt even risen let alone 'exponentially'! :rolleyes:

What BuDoc said, affirmed my suspicions.
The question on whether guns should be allowed is this. Are the number of people saved by protecting themselves with guns more than the number of people wrongfully killed by guns?

#165577 - 07/11/05 06:46 AM Re: Gun laws: too much or not enough? [Re: dadoody5]
BuDoc Offline
The doctor will see you now

Loc: USA and Abroad
If we distill it. No.

More citizens ownning guns= same amount or more criminal activity, same amount or more police shootings, more potential for accidental child/teen shootings.

Please keep in mind that I am not reporting this as fact. Merely a personal study of cases. The examples presented may be spurious correlations, however it still happens.

Page

#165578 - 07/11/05 10:44 AM Re: Gun laws: too much or not enough? [Re: Slayr]
Neko456 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Midwest City, Ok, USA
I think the gun laws are sufficent if used properly I see no problem with civilians owning assault rifle clones semi autos or special licences for full autos. I don't see a reason or purpose for citizens owning full operational boozookas or missile firing devises. If owned they should have the barrel blocked and trigger disenaged. I've seen some men collections that are down right scary (explosives devises and missle launchers).

A $3500 MP5 full auto is a waste there very few ranges that will let you fire that weapon on. I have a couple of assualt rifles but I bought a Air Soft full auto MP5A4 for training home clearing and hostage rescue, that shoots paint balls. A lot agencies are going to the pellet gun because blanks still can kill at point blank range.

Edited by Neko456 (07/11/05 10:45 AM)

#165579 - 07/11/05 06:33 PM Re: Gun laws: too much or not enough? [Re: Slayr]
Raziel00uk Offline

Culture does have alot more to do with gun crime than mearly restricting guns. I mean there are plenty of countries out there that allow guns (Finland springs to mind) but people don't go around carrying them or having gang wars and the such (nono I can't prove this :P). Then in UK I rarely hear of gun crimes (thought they certainly happen) this is pretty much because it's not easy to get one (I have never tried).

You give easier access to guns and more people with have them.. more people with them = more gun crime. It's common sense. As people have said thought it's what people do with them that matters (Finland not as bad as US for example).

I think keeping a weapon in your home as self defence is ok but carrying certainly is not.

To sum it up I beleive restricting access will definatly decrease gun related crime but it wouldn't make a difference over night.

I would love a gun mearly to shoot it (rather than self defence) and I can see why people want to be allowed them so much :P

#165580 - 07/11/05 07:02 PM Re: Gun laws: too much or not enough? [Re: Raziel00uk]
SANCHIN31 Offline
Former Moderator

Loc: Arkansas, U.S.
I think you need to do a little more research.

Quote:

more people with them = more gun crime

I would change that to...more criminals with guns=more gun crime.Law abiding citizens don't commit crimes, guns or not. Whether or not guns are restricted criminals will have them.Convicted felons are caught with guns all the time,but they are not supposed to have them.

#165581 - 07/11/05 07:11 PM Re: Gun laws: too much or not enough? [Re: SANCHIN31]
Raziel00uk Offline

Quote:

Whether or not guns are restricted criminals will have them.

I certainly didin't do any research and I'm not really sure what to say with this, certainly it's true they will have them but look at the UK (very strict laws) and very few gun crimes (compared to US).

hehe but then I go back to my finnish example, fewer restrictions but not really any more gun crime =\.

It is definatly a culture thing but in asnwering the original question I do beleive more restrictions would result in less gun crime.

I don't pretend to be able to back this up but destroy half the guns wouldn't half gun crime but it would certainly reduce it (effectibly just making guns less available).

#165582 - 07/11/05 07:16 PM Re: Gun laws: too much or not enough? [Re: Raziel00uk]
SANCHIN31 Offline
Former Moderator

Loc: Arkansas, U.S.
They destroy drugs everyday,everywhere,yet the criminals still have them. We don't need stricter laws,we need to enforce the laws already in place. THAT would reduce gun crime.

#165583 - 07/11/05 08:35 PM Re: Gun laws: too much or not enough? [Re: SANCHIN31]
pathfinder7195 Offline

Loc: T.C Michigan, U.S
SANCHIN you keep referring to these people as "criminals". There's not a good side and a bad side. Every day in this country people with no prior record committ crimes. 80% of all people murdered in this country knew their attacker. Let's not act like those dirty criminals over their and us good guy's over here. People who murder other people are the people next door or down the block.

As for the gun laws I would imagine that as the guns get more powerful the laws will follow.

Kevin

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Cord, Dedicated1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga