FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 47 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
333kenshin, BradleyCameron, markwn, John057, TigerandDragon
23240 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
TigerandDragon 1
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31
New Topics
Recent Posts
Forum Stats
23240 Members
36 Forums
35700 Topics
432769 Posts

Max Online: 488 @ 01/23/20 01:55 PM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#163444 - 07/02/05 03:28 PM How to build footwork
Tercel Offline

Does anyone know any solo footwork drills? Thanks in advance!

#163445 - 09/24/05 08:07 PM Re: How to build footwork [Re: Tercel]
Fistofsoftness Offline

i was wondering the same thing cause i've just started JKD I'm looking through the forums and i saw this just wanted to know any thing to help

#163446 - 09/24/05 10:36 PM Re: How to build footwork [Re: Tercel]
Shouji Offline

Loc: VA
Running up steps and jump roping.

#163447 - 09/25/05 01:01 AM Re: How to build footwork [Re: Tercel]
butterfly Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Torrance, CA
Shadow boxing with combinations. The focus should be on technique and the requisite platform to throw these techniques.

This means footwork and practicing movement in front of a mirror.

Good luck!

-B

#163448 - 09/25/05 04:57 AM Re: How to build footwork [Re: Tercel]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

Loc: BKK, Thailand
I know a good way to work on your foot-work and at the same time train your mind.

Go somewhere where no one will disturb you. Jump around fighting with an invisible enemy. Try working on your footwork and at the same time think how to defeat this enemy in different situations, using what tools. Try think defensive or at least feint before attacking.

It works perfect for me, although people do stare at me when I start doing stuff like immobilization, throws, locks or when I imagine fighting against many "invisibles" at the same time.

Use your imagination as much as you can, and when shadow boxing don't stop, do it in rounds of 3 minutes, 5 rounds.

-Taison out

#163449 - 09/28/05 07:42 AM Re: How to build footwork [Re: Taison]
jkdwarrior Offline

Loc: belfast, Antrim, Ireland
Quote:

I know a good way to work on your foot-work and at the same time train your mind.

Go somewhere where no one will disturb you. Jump around fighting with an invisible enemy. Try working on your footwork and at the same time think how to defeat this enemy in different situations, using what tools. Try think defensive or at least feint before attacking.
-Taison out

Good idea, i do this as well. There are some drills like just try shuffling in any direction. When i was a beginner, i would just move forward, back, to the left and then right. I learned to wait after every step until my balance was completely recovered. After a while, i didn't have to wait between steps anymore because my body restored balance instantly and automatically. Now, i can move in any direction spontaneously and without warning. I takes many hours of practice to learn proper footwork and i would suggest that if you're going to learn anything at all, then make it this. Your footwork is one of, if not THE most important aspect of MA. If a guy doesn't have footwork, then sparring him is going to be like hitting a heavy punchbag. If he does, however, then watch out, he's gonna be one slippery son of a gun, hard to hit, and will be able to hit you and then move out of distance in an instant

#163450 - 09/28/05 08:13 AM Re: How to build footwork [Re: jkdwarrior]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

Loc: BKK, Thailand
I learn my technique from "Shua Jiao". . . My master said it was one odd technique I use with my MT training, but so far it has worked for me. Some of the guys in the gym see me do this for about 10 min and asks "what are you doing"? I just reply with a smile "I'm kicking your ass" and smile.

It helps a lot when you are preparing to fight someone as well. Imagine fighting him and you may find some way to beat him, but remember, it's theory. At the day of the fight, he may have changed his tactics. If he hasn't you should have a small edge over him.

Well this shadow box helps me co-ordinate my movement better and it helps me get the "tools" working correctly as well. Sometimes, after a while I find that I am able to chain certain moves together, like elbow to knee strike.

-Taison out

#163451 - 10/13/05 03:17 PM Re: How to build footwork [Re: Tercel]
Fluid_Motion Offline

Just Do It - Nike .

#163452 - 10/30/05 02:13 PM Re: How to build footwork [Re: Fluid_Motion]
NRNS Offline

Loc: manchester, england
the easiest way i find to train on my footwork is again the imagineation approach or most of the time football:D

when im imagining my opponent he is stood stationary as if just stalking watching my every movement so i side step bounce aroundmoving at all angles to acustom my body to the different levels of balance needed in each movement. after my body ahd got used to this and started to balance itself i started throwing punches and upperbody attacks to my imaginary opponent whilst still moving around bouncing and side stepping. After a few weeks of this your body should get used to the movement of your feet and the movement of your upper body creatin a stance that will keep you balanced while throwing upperbody attacks. then do the same but work in leg attacks and carry on with your upperbody attacks. after weeks of this your body will have adjusted to the movement of your feet aswell as throwing different combinations of lower and upperbody attacks.

to keep yourself acustomed to this play a game of football use your new stepping skilz to outstep your opponents oin set plays this will get you ready for wen you are fighting a real opponent.

hope it made sense

#163453 - 10/31/05 06:28 AM Re: How to build footwork [Re: NRNS]
Supremor Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: UK
The most important thing with footwork is the acquiring of proper range for a strike- as such your "artillery" should remain balanced and ready at all times. This is why I am a fan of practicing the simple lunge, with a number of techniques- punch, side kick etc. Focus on cutting out unnecessary movement so no backward motion or "winding up."

With the lunge, make sure that the technique ends as the lunge ends. your feet hardly come off the ground and the whole movement is fluid and balanced. I will quite happily practice the lunge for an hour at a time, because it is that useful for acquiring range.

Skipping and shadow boxing are also very useful for building up co-ordination. I am also a fan of ladder drills- however I accept that this is more from when I played basketball, so it is not as useful for MA footwork.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Cord, JKogas, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga