FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 62 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
royal 2
Dobbersky 2
MattJ 2
UKfightfreak 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#16344 - 12/04/03 10:03 AM Re: Best fighting style for small, light people?
Raul Perez Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Lake Ronkonkoma, NY, USA
Chin-na is hand seizing/joint locks. I believe you mean San Shou for fast wrestling.

Kind regards,

Raul

#16345 - 12/04/03 12:19 PM Re: Best fighting style for small, light people?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Someone stated that when grappling and you are one on bottom you burn alot of energy.This shows an improper grasp of jj,more specificly bjj.
When I have opponent in my guard, I am resting.I am making him burn energy fighting to get positional dominance, all the while "feeling" his weight and helping him set himself up for a submission move.

I believe alot of people do not understand that any style of jj takes very little power
to perform correctly. As my instructor tells us,"If you muscle it, it is not jujitsu"

As for original question of post- Any art you take requires adaptation to your body.A quality instructor will know this and teach you accordingly.Through real sparring(not point or sport) you will be able to feel,experience what you can realisticly make work against various opponents in various situations.

Ultimately, in a real life situation where you are attacked there are no guarentees.

#16346 - 12/04/03 07:06 PM Re: Best fighting style for small, light people?
wentwest Offline

Loc: Venice, CA USA
Little one,

I would recommend Wing Chun for a variety of reasons. First, it's a very straight forward system of kung fu that has basically been reduced to the most effective principles and techniques from a variety of kung fu styles. It is not a flowery style with lots of pretty movements, it's all about economy of movement, and energy.

Second, it has been proven to be a very capable (read practical) system for self defense that can be learned in a shorter time than many styles/systems. Within a short time (perhaps a few weeks to months depending on your aptitude and resolution) you will learn practical techniques that you can begin to use in an altercation.

Third, it's a style that excells in close range (in-fighting) hand to hand situations, and this is one of the things that makes it great for smaller people.

Fourth, it's somewhat scientific and logical in its basic principles. Being a Virgo, I love that! For example, the shortest distance between two points is a straight line. That principle is fundamental in Wing Chun, where almost all attacks are delivered stright to the centerline of your opponent (while protectiong your own centerline).

Fifth, legend suggests that it was developed by a woman, who took the best of what worked for her from a variety of styles, and condensed it into Wing Chun. In any case, it is a reputable style for smaller people.

Sixth, for the most part, Wing Chun techniques don't rely on power to be effective. You don't muscle or force anything. In some ways, Wing Chun shares a few principles with Aikido (like not trying to stop your opponent's attack/energy, but rather controlling and redirecting it).

I'll admit that I'm biased, but I have dabbled in a number of different styles, and while I like a number of styles, I really, really like this one.

I'm 5' 9" and weigh 153 lbs, so I'm not exactly a big guy... and I feel like Wing Chun is perfect for me [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

#16347 - 12/04/03 07:09 PM Re: Best fighting style for small, light people?
wentwest Offline

Loc: Venice, CA USA
[This message has been edited by wentwest (edited 12-04-2003).]

#16348 - 12/04/03 08:11 PM Re: Best fighting style for small, light people?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wing Chun has stand up grappling....

You need both if you strikes are good and your stand up grappling is good you won't have a problem controlling where the fight goes....

#16349 - 12/04/03 09:18 PM Re: Best fighting style for small, light people?
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
Get a big boyfriend. Learn to run quick and learn jiu-jitsu for the worst case scenario. You're too small to cause any real physical damage. Look to train things that will allow a momentary distraction so that you can escape and get away (like a quick eye-jab, etc).

-John

#16350 - 12/05/03 04:01 PM Re: Best fighting style for small, light people?
elleTKD Offline

Loc: USA
JKogas, you are telling her to depend on her boyfriend? sounds like a plan.... [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/rolleyes.gif[/IMG] And what do you mean she cant cause "real" physical damage?

For all we know, she isnt interested in self defense. maybe she wants a martial art for the art.

#16351 - 12/05/03 04:13 PM Re: Best fighting style for small, light people?
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
If she wants an art for the art, that's good too. People train for different reasons and they're all valid.

My post was regarding self-defense. As far as becoming dependent, I would never recommend something like that. However, I WOULD rather someone be realistic and have realistic expectations at the same time.

It's just physics that a smaller person isn't going to cause as much damage as a larger person. Imagine this: A Volkswagon Beetle and an 18 wheel transfer truck are heading directly toward each other at the same speed. Why vehicle is going to sustain the most damage? We all know it will be the smaller one, obviously.

I NEVER teach anyone to rely on "vital point" striking. It has a way of not working like so many expect. The street is NOT the first place you want to find something like that out!

For this reason, I stand by my suggestions.

-John

#16352 - 12/07/03 07:51 AM Re: Best fighting style for small, light people?
karate-do Offline

Loc: Wales
in gung fu the smaller anmals are suited to smaller people the best ones for a small person are probably snake and mantis and they bring a small person to theyre maximum potention by encouraging you to come in close so a larger person wouldnt be able to strike you properly whilst you use sidsteping motions and circular blows to get effective hits when they cant hit effectivly at all

#16353 - 12/07/03 09:43 AM Re: Best fighting style for small, light people?
Ender Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Burlington, Ontario, Canada
Jkogas, saying that small people arent able to defend themselves is completely ignorant.

Have you ever seen the average Japanese or Okinawan?

5'1.

Some of the best fighters in history, due to, and heres the funny part...KARATE.

Karate was designed for small people (which is why many westerners, being tall, have trouble with some of the stances).

Being able to defendthemselves may require MORE training, but by no means is it impossible.

-Dan

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga