FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 37 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bartfast, ZapEm, AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc
22906 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 6
AndyLA 5
Ed_Morris 4
futsaowingchun 3
ergees 2
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
New Topics
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Recent Posts
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:58 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Dobbersky
08/11/14 05:03 AM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Forum Stats
22906 Members
36 Forums
35572 Topics
432478 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#163059 - 07/01/05 11:02 AM Relevance of kata
creative Offline

Loc: UK
Was training last night going through some bassai applications. We were going from the opening gesture (hand in fist at about chin level) to the so called supported hammer fist strike. We were exchanging ideas with eachother, I demonstrated the following:

closed fist grabbing the hair and pulling down, open hand pushing up at the jaw causing the head to twist, then going through the motion of the technique would obviously seriously damage the attackers neck.

One of my friends who (liked the same technique as a wrist lock) then said that although the technique would work, is it a relevant application to use in this day and age. i.e. is the application too dangerous ?

My point: Ofcourse there is a time and a place but in general.... Is kata too dangerous?

(I hope this post is clear to understand, its very difficult writting tecniques)

#163060 - 07/01/05 06:23 PM Re: Relevance of kata [Re: creative]
shoshinkan Offline
Professional Poster

there are many lethal techniques contained within the kata, yours is a very good example.

I think it depends on the motivation behind training, part of me trains for self defense in real life.

If I or someone around me was attacked with no remorse then techniques of this nature may be required to finish the situation, I would rather have this knowledge and not need it, than need it and not have it.

Obviously the level of force is relevant to the situation, many who proclaim 'controled' response have not had real expierience to draw from, which is rather ironic really.

many students who are taught the 'full' meaning of kata are not suited to recieve this knowledge, this is the way of modern martial arts - you pays your money............

I dont wish to sound over critical, but also the actual reality of using 'lethal' techniques in reality is very difficult, most of us are happy to avoid major injury and get out ogf the situation, adrenalin and fear are powerfull feelings after all.

#163061 - 07/05/05 05:15 PM Re: Relevance of kata [Re: creative]
McSensei Offline
Veteran

Loc: Kent, England
The way I understand it, kata has many levels of application.
At base level we are shown the block, punch, kick type applications. As you progress and learn, the more potent the applications become. It is taught this way so that over time
the student should mature emotionally as well as martially.
This will allow the student to handle the responsibility of knowing when and when not to use their martial skills.
So in short, no, it's not too dangerous. It just shouldn't be taught to non serious MAs.
Most people see kata as just some dance anyway. Let them keep thinking that way.

Oh, btw, what style do you do? I ask because of your example. You described the opening salutation as at chin level. Bassai dai is a shotokan kata and the salutation is done at waist level.
However, my club and one other style do it as you do.
GKR perhaps?

#163062 - 07/07/05 09:43 AM Re: Relevance of kata [Re: McSensei]
Chatan1979 Offline

Loc: Mahomet , Illinois
I agree with the above posts and would like to add as well. Kata is able to adapt to any situation. Thats what is so great about it. Yes they are full of lethal techniques. But if you are also training in ways to just control an opponent rather than maim him, youll see that you have more choices. Yes given a particular situation a neck break or eye gouge may be nessecary, but my mindset has always been to try bunkai that are geared toward just controlling an oponent. I have the privelage to have two sensei, one is my kenpo sensei and the other is a sensei in Jujitsu , judo and aikido. The aikido Sensei loves to watch us do kata . He will watch us do bunkai that is lethal and crippling to an opponent. Then he will usually step in a offer suggestions for more controlling techniques or submissions that he sees within our kata. Its always an eye-opener. Take the above bassai bunkai for example. Yes i see the neck attack that was mentioned, but i also see it as an Aikido technigue from a lapel grab called kotegaishi. So i guess what im getting at is, dont always think of your bunkai in such a lethal manner. Yes its always good to know, but lets face it, the chances of us needing to break someones neck or rupture an organ is very slim in this day and age. With the laws as wierd as they are now its very dificult to think about how you can LEGALLY react in a self defense situation. Given those laws, i always look at bunkai from a very "controlling " point of view first(i.e locks, submissions, come-alongs and redirections that allow me to escape); then after playing with those for a while, i look at the more lethal techniques that are still there.

#163063 - 07/07/05 03:33 PM Re: Relevance of kata [Re: Chatan1979]
kenposan Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
I think Chatan said it well. Kata is so full of opportunities. I had this discussion last night in class. We were working Naihanchi Shodan (wrist grab defenses). Many releases put you in prime position to strike. But that is an escalation of the situation, an escalation that can land you in jail. So we looked at what else could be done: locks, takedowns, etc. It was fun to explore these options and see all of what is available.

#163064 - 07/07/05 05:31 PM Re: Relevance of kata [Re: creative]
JAMJTX Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Fort Wayne, IN
Being the essence of karate, kata is very relevant.
Bassai is one of my favorite kata. If you want to learn some fantastic applications, find someone who trained with Shogo Kuniba Soke.
Practcing the applications can be dangerous. These technqiues were designed to break bones, dislocate joints, etc. So your partner has to be trained to take the breakfalls and you have to have excellent control.

#163065 - 07/08/05 06:52 AM Re: Relevance of kata [Re: McSensei]
creative Offline

Quote:

The way I understand it, kata has many levels of application.
At base level we are shown the block, punch, kick type applications. As you progress and learn, the more potent the applications become. It is taught this way so that over time

I have heard people talking about the levels of application and am not sure that i agree with what the concept. I mean the first level of "blocks" being blocks is a bit of a joke i think, even though people have been training this way for years(and still do). My thoughts are that blocks were probably introduced to kata when karate was being introduced to the education system in Japan, and this is so called childrens karate. Surely it is wrong to teach people bad karate or karate that will not work in a real self defence situation. At the same time i know what you mean by as you progress you learn more effective techniques, obviously it would be irrisponsible to teach "lethal" techniques to joe bloggs on his first lesson. I suppose it is up to the instructors discretion.

Quote:

So in short, no, it's not too dangerous. It just shouldn't be taught to non serious MAs.

I agree

Quote:

Most people see kata as just some dance anyway. Let them keep thinking that way.

lol. yeah. kata to music.....my god....

Quote:

Oh, btw, what style do you do? I ask because of your example. You described the opening salutation as at chin level. Bassai dai is a shotokan kata and the salutation is done at waist level.
However, my club and one other style do it as you do.
GKR perhaps?

My club has broken away from its origional organisations for reasons i wont go into here. My style is called Goshin karate jitsu. My instructors are origionally from Karate budokan international and karatedo shotokai. What art are you studying?

#163066 - 07/08/05 07:05 AM Re: Relevance of kata [Re: kenposan]
creative Offline

Quote:

I think Chatan said it well. Kata is so full of opportunities. I had this discussion last night in class. We were working Naihanchi Shodan (wrist grab defenses). Many releases put you in prime position to strike. But that is an escalation of the situation, an escalation that can land you in jail.

This is simular to what happend on my above mentioned lesson. One point though, it is sometimes difficult to determine the seriousness of a situation. In a split second you have to decide if the person grabbing your wrist is going to stab you, punch you, slap you or ask you where you bought those beautiful cufflinks.

Quote:

So we looked at what else could be done: locks, takedowns, etc. It was fun to explore these options and see all of what is available.

Yeah there always seems to be so many variations of applications. If you want a nicer application to that bassai opener, try trapping the arm going forward into an elbow lock, which will bring the body down tilt the head away from you allowing you to strike the back of the head...or pull the hairs on the attackers sideburns, that kills ouch
Thanks for all your posts so far

#163067 - 07/08/05 07:12 AM Re: Relevance of kata [Re: creative]
Gavin Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Southend, Essex, UK
Quote:

lol. yeah. kata to music.....my god....

Isn't this called dancing?

I agree with the statements already made, I don't actually believe that there are any techniques that are too dangerous. There are plenty of techniques that are inappropriate, for example shattering someones wrists for wagging their finger at you, is not an appropriate response. The more dangerous applications should only be taught with comman sense and responsibly. As some Japanese Chinese Buddhist Taoist wise type old dude once said, "Hurt rather be hurt, Maim rather than be maimed, Kill rather than be killed!" or something like that. Sorry bit hungover so this probably made no sense whatsoever!

#163068 - 07/08/05 06:08 PM Re: Relevance of kata [Re: creative]
McSensei Offline
Veteran

Loc: Kent, England
Kenshukai U.K., recently split from Kenshukai Australia, less recently split from Go Kan Ryu International.

Are you the Judean Peoples Front?

Edited by McSensei (07/08/05 08:14 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga