FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 53 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
royal 2
Dobbersky 2
MattJ 2
Marcus Charles 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#162901 - 07/11/05 09:33 AM Re: recognizing internal connections in external arts [Re: Kosh]
fattts14 Offline

Loc: T.O. On, Can
What does the "I" in IMA stand for?

#162902 - 07/11/05 01:02 PM Re: recognizing internal connections in external arts [Re: fattts14]
Prometej Offline

Loc: Croatia
Internal martial arts

#162903 - 07/12/05 12:35 AM Re: recognizing internal connections in external arts [Re: Prometej]
RockHard Huy Offline

Most of my Martial Arts instruction was at a TKD McDojo. No one ever explained to me the internal aspects involved in delivary an effective attack; so, I was, essentialy, performing nothing more than a mere dance. I dropped out awhile ago and have been analyzing how the attacks could be effective. I'm getting there.
Of course, because I havn't sought out a proper instructor like you guys have suggested , I am having trouble.
1. One problem is that have I difficulty transmitting energy from my body to arm. ALot of the energy my attack gains from my body disperses at around the shoulder area. There is a way that I have tried to get passed this but it leavse me feeling over extended and vulnerable.
2. The rotation in my spine is less than acceptable, the majority of the twist occurs in maybe only in two areas along the spine.
3. Alot of people attack in arcs of movement starting from their feet and ending in their striking area. I was thinking that perhaps a mixed up sequance may be more effective. For example, twisting the hip THEN pressing off with the feet.

Kempoman: When you say redirect the opponent's force. do you mean that you accept his attack into your own system and direct the movement towards the ground then just bounce it back? Or do you direct it towards the ground then send it back with your own force, effectively attacking him with both yours and his force.

Sorry that I can't use the terminology that you guys are used to, but I don't know it to use it

Edited by RockHard Huy (07/12/05 12:40 AM)

#162904 - 07/12/05 07:43 AM Re: recognizing internal connections in external arts [Re: RockHard Huy]
Fisherman Offline
Veteran

Loc: Colorado, USA
Quote:

1. One problem is that have I difficulty transmitting energy from my body to arm.

It sounds to me that you are probably missing the connection between your hand and your foot. There is always a line of power that force travels along. In this case you want a line of power from your weighted foot, through your body, and up to your arm and out to your hand.

Quote:

2. The rotation in my spine is less than acceptable, the majority of the twist occurs in maybe only in two areas along the spine.

Make sure that it is not just your spine that is twisting. The entire torso needs to twist/wrap in order to generate power.
This is one of those things where relaxation has to be emphasized. If you are not relaxed you will not feel the subtle usage of the spine.

Quote:

3. Alot of people attack in arcs of movement starting from their feet and ending in their striking area.

This is kind of what I expressed above. I just like to think of it as segmented parts of the body. I try and think of the body as a unified mass. If one part moves, all parts move.

Quote:

I was thinking that perhaps a mixed up sequance may be more effective. For example, twisting the hip THEN pressing off with the feet.

This may give you more power than you already have, but it isn't the same as using a proper ground path and unification of the body to strike. When you segment yor power, you are only hitting with one part of your body. When the body is unified and moves as a whole, then you are hitting with the force of your entire body.

This is why it is important to find an instructor. These body alignments and methods to move through a unified structure cannot be properly described in spoken word. They require direct transmition.

Good questions though. Hope I helped a little!!!

Chris

#162905 - 07/12/05 08:10 AM Re: recognizing internal connections in external arts [Re: Kempoman]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Amherst, MA
Neat thread. I have to say, the first time I saw my teacher 'do this'...it simply did not compute. I had never seen a person 'move' this way, and simply did not have the words or concepts to ask about it. "What is that wavy-snap thing you do?" Seeing someone 'move' energy is...just plain awesome.

Quote:

It is very difficult to explain to someone how it feels when they are properly connected. It is like a bunch of connected gears, turning any one of the gears turns the whole mechanism. I that that it has been explained like this by many people and it never quite gets the point across.

I think that what is never said is that it is not a conscious effort to move the thing as a whole. When they say that it is like that set of gears they mean it, exactly like that set of gears. Moving anything the connection moves everthing else.

#162906 - 07/12/05 02:23 PM Re: recognizing internal connections in external arts [Re: Fisherman]
RockHard Huy Offline

Thanks alot for the help Fisherman
Sorry for getting off topic, I hadn't realized it when I was typing.

#162907 - 07/24/05 04:43 PM Re: recognizing internal connections in external arts [Re: RockHard Huy]
Lucid Warrior Offline

Loc: TwinCities, MN, U.S.

I'm back baby!
I love the new forum, and there are stickies now!! And I see you've been keeping things running smooth Lane!

Some random thoughts of mine from reading this thread.

1. I think that all martial arts can be associated with the IMA because IMA is something natural that has been lost in us over time, just as it has been lost from EMA over time. Weather there is evidence in the system of it ever being taught or not is a different story. But I can't help but view my training as if I am getting something back that was supposed to be there, rather than getting something new.

2. I think that the internal connections of foot to hand, knee to elbow... is just one view of the connections. Another view of those connections are connecting inside and out. Layer to layer, bodily system to bodily system. I'm starting to see a circle of 'perpetual' energy within my bodily systems. I don't know how to describe it, but each system fuels the next, and it is all directed from the CNS through the bones. Its just like science would describe it if you were to research anatomy, but it is different because with IMA, you learn how to 'do' it.

3.When it comes to IMA, something very important to keep in mind is that any thing that feels 'mystical' is usually just something you don't understand. Many principles you learn that seem esoteric at first are later on used to do something that is very down to earth, natural, and real. If something seems mystical to me, I just learn it, put it in the back of my mind, and when I am at the right place in my training... it reveals itself to me as what it really is.

4.GEARS! Interesting description. Although I feel I can do this with ease on one side of the body, on the otherside, my gears aren't in place... or something. I'm closer. Although I must admit that sometimes I feel as if the distance between me and my goal can only be measured in Zeno's paradox. If so, I hope I'm clumbsy enough to go more than one half one of these times.

I definately find I'm still not relaxed enough, and that I still haven't been able to see that side of my body as one whole peice. I've come close, but it doesn't feel natural. Occasionally bouncing up and down rapidly sort of shakes things into place better, but its pretty much hit or miss.

Edited by Lucid Warrior (07/24/05 10:44 PM)

#162908 - 07/24/05 10:45 PM Re: recognizing internal connections in external arts [Re: Lucid Warrior]
Fisherman Offline
Veteran

Loc: Colorado, USA
Welcome back!

#162909 - 07/24/05 11:04 PM Re: recognizing internal connections in external arts [Re: Fisherman]
Lucid Warrior Offline

Loc: TwinCities, MN, U.S.
Howdy

#162910 - 07/27/05 02:56 PM Re: recognizing internal connections in external arts [Re: Lucid Warrior]
nenipp Offline
Veteran

Hi Lucid Warrior!

"Occasionally bouncing up and down rapidly sort of shakes things into place better"

Yes it does, doesn't it?
I call it shaking qigong

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga