FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 33 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LeroyCFischer, JadeKing, Beefcake, WesJones, simonajones111
22933 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
charlie 2
futsaowingchun 2
Matakiant 1
William_Bent 1
simonajones111 1
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30
New Topics
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
MA style video library
by
03/22/06 03:18 PM
Recent Posts
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
MA style video library
by charlie
11/11/14 04:05 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/29/14 10:01 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Forum Stats
22933 Members
36 Forums
35589 Topics
432521 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#161566 - 06/28/05 05:41 PM Bodyweight Exercises - No Real Results
FitnessFreak Offline
Member

Registered: 06/28/05
Posts: 40
Loc: Ireland, Leinster
Hi, I am hoping someone here can help me.
I am 6' and 11 stone (154lb), and somewhat of a hard-gainer.

About a year ago I decided I needed to bulk up.
But due to limited time I never got around to joining a gym.

The only exercises I do are bodyweight exercises (push-ups, sit-ups, chin-ups, tricep dips etc.) and a lot of running.

Now, one year later, any muscles I hade are a lot more toned/defined but I have not put on any weight or gotten much stronger even thought I now look it.

Since I have a low body-fat it is easier for muscles to show through. But if I want to get stronger should I ditch the body-weight exercises and start using weights, or is there an alternative.

I have set routine for different parts of body on different days and running on different days.

I have not changed my diet or anything, should I do something about this aswell ?

Result: I look stronger without actually being stronger.

Where did I go wrong?

Top
#161567 - 06/28/05 06:48 PM Re: Bodyweight Exercises - No Real Results [Re: FitnessFreak]
JumpinJackFlash Offline
Member

Registered: 05/24/05
Posts: 81
Ok first of all don't label yourself a hardgainer when you haven't actually done anything to put on mass.

Ditch the bodyweight exercises and go with weights.

If you don't eat more you won't gain weight.
_________________________
"No one wants to work, but everyone wants to have worked."

Top
#161568 - 06/28/05 08:51 PM Re: Bodyweight Exercises - No Real Results [Re: FitnessFreak]
knightcommander Offline
Member

Registered: 09/13/04
Posts: 150
Loc: Australia
ROFL.

Bodyweight exercises will not put any muscle on you. It may make your nervour system stronger, but it doesn nothing for muscle mass.

Why do you think Charles Atlas got Prosecuted for fraud after claiming he got as big as he was doing his crappy bodyweight exercises.

Progressive poundages in perfect form is how you get big. That and eat big.

Join a gym, and start using the weights.
_________________________
Blue Belt in WTF

Top
#161569 - 06/28/05 09:00 PM Re: Bodyweight Exercises - No Real Results [Re: knightcommander]
madmattg Offline
Member

Registered: 06/18/05
Posts: 47
Loc: Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Quote:

ROFL.

Bodyweight exercises will not put any muscle on you. It may make your nervour system stronger, but it doesn nothing for muscle mass.

Why do you think Charles Atlas got Prosecuted for fraud after claiming he got as big as he was doing his crappy bodyweight exercises.

Progressive poundages in perfect form is how you get big. That and eat big.

Join a gym, and start using the weights.




Well said, BW exercises are designed for muscles memory and endurance nothing to do with muscle mass. Combined with running and you say lots of running its counter productive as far as mass and strength.

Yes you can combine both, but its through weights and running.
_________________________
It wasnt the bow or the arrow......It was Robin Hood.

Top
#161570 - 06/29/05 12:25 AM Re: Bodyweight Exercises - No Real Results [Re: madmattg]
JumpinJackFlash Offline
Member

Registered: 05/24/05
Posts: 81
To be fair you can put weight on with dips, pullups, and some other exercises. The knee-jerk backlash against bodyweight exercises some people have is just as silly a position as the one of those who hold them to be the one and only form of exercise.
_________________________
"No one wants to work, but everyone wants to have worked."

Top
#161571 - 06/29/05 02:38 AM Re: Bodyweight Exercises - No Real Results [Re: FitnessFreak]
Meanstreak Offline
Member

Registered: 11/15/04
Posts: 236
Loc: Australia
Fitnessfreak,

try making your bodyweight exercises harder (therefore requiring more strength) by altering the exercises.

pushups try doing them on one leg. Or elevate your legs, ie your legs on your bed - hands on the floor. When either of these are too easy combine the two.

Also look at these sites for ideas.

http://www.trainforstrength.com/index.shtml
http://www.combatfitness.co.uk/
http://www.cbass.com/Pavel%27sLadders.htm
http://bodybuildbid.com/articles/miscellan/workwoutwts.html
e
_________________________
Beware my flying no hands cartwheel kick of doom

Top
#161572 - 06/29/05 07:01 AM Re: Bodyweight Exercises - No Real Results [Re: Meanstreak]
Supremor Offline
Professional Poster

Registered: 07/22/04
Posts: 2510
Loc: UK
I agree with Meanstreak. The idea that bodywieght exercises cannot be used to gain muscle is wrong.

The reason few people gain size with BW is that theyn train easy exercises, e.g. push ups, for long periods of time. This in not good for strength.

However, using weights is just using large resistance, there's nothing about the weights themselves that make you gain muscle, just the resistance they cause. So it is possible to gain weight using your own body as resistance. Try for instance, one-arm, one-leg push-ups. Or maybe one leg squats. Then try elevating your legs for one-arm push-ups. There are millions of ways to increase resistance for BW exercises.

Here's the downside though: With weights you have far more control over how much weight you lift- it is more scientific and more quantifiable. BW excersises, although being pretty good, do not have the same efficiency as weight lifting, since you cannot isolate muscle groups easily.

BUT... If you want functuional strength, then I think BW exercises are the only way to go. They get your brain used to utilizing all the muscles in your body for a desired action, unlike weights, which while building muscle, do not do that much for functional strength.

Top
#161573 - 06/29/05 09:31 AM Re: Bodyweight Exercises - No Real Results [Re: FitnessFreak]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Registered: 01/13/05
Posts: 11399
Loc: Cambridge UK.
Quote:

Hi, I am hoping someone here can help me.
I am 6' and 11 stone (154lb), and somewhat of a hard-gainer.

About a year ago I decided I needed to bulk up.
But due to limited time I never got around to joining a gym.

The only exercises I do are bodyweight exercises (push-ups, sit-ups, chin-ups, tricep dips etc.) and a lot of running...

Where did I go wrong?




Bodyweight exercises are not the best way to increase strength or mass. Lots of running and bodyweight work on a naturaly 'skinny' frame will give you what you have, a wiry defined look ( a bit like Iggy Pop ),

You need to join a reputable gym, get good quality instruction on basic lifts (squat, bench press, deadlifts, cleans, shrugs), moderate your cardio work so as to allow for a change in emphasis in your training, and start eating in such a way as to provide your body with the nutrition it needs to change in the way you wish.

If it is important to you, you will find/make the time to achieve your goals.
Good luck
_________________________
Don't let the door hit ya' where the good lord split ya'
http://cord.mybrute.com

Top
#161574 - 06/30/05 10:37 AM Re: Bodyweight Exercises - No Real Results [Re: Cord]
SkInHoUnD Offline
Member

Registered: 04/13/05
Posts: 310
Loc: Canada
I did pushups for a long time to work my chest, it bulked me up nicely but only so far, and it didnt give me the well roundedness in my pecs that benchpresses give. Most noteworthy though was what happened to my tricps...they exploded and became rock solid where they were very weak and invisible before. As time went on i'd do pushups with someones feat resting on my back but still no dynamic results. So it works to a degree. If your muscle is weak in a particular area i'd suggest begining with bodyweight before going onto weights.

Top
#161575 - 06/30/05 10:39 AM Re: Bodyweight Exercises - No Real Results [Re: Supremor]
knightcommander Offline
Member

Registered: 09/13/04
Posts: 150
Loc: Australia
Quote:

I agree with Meanstreak. The idea that bodywieght exercises cannot be used to gain muscle is wrong.

The reason few people gain size with BW is that theyn train easy exercises, e.g. push ups, for long periods of time. This in not good for strength.

However, using weights is just using large resistance, there's nothing about the weights themselves that make you gain muscle, just the resistance they cause. So it is possible to gain weight using your own body as resistance. Try for instance, one-arm, one-leg push-ups. Or maybe one leg squats. Then try elevating your legs for one-arm push-ups. There are millions of ways to increase resistance for BW exercises.

Here's the downside though: With weights you have far more control over how much weight you lift- it is more scientific and more quantifiable. BW excersises, although being pretty good, do not have the same efficiency as weight lifting, since you cannot isolate muscle groups easily.

BUT... If you want functuional strength, then I think BW exercises are the only way to go. They get your brain used to utilizing all the muscles in your body for a desired action, unlike weights, which while building muscle, do not do that much for functional strength.




Thats exactly what Charles Atlas tried to say. He got prosecuted for fraud.

Training with weights is alot more practical than trying to do handstand one handed pushups.
_________________________
Blue Belt in WTF

Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >


Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 




Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

 

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga