FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 32 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn
22904 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 14
cxt 7
trevek 6
JKogas 5
futsaowingchun 4
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Recent Posts
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
Yesterday at 05:11 AM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:53 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
07/24/14 11:35 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Forum Stats
22904 Members
36 Forums
35564 Topics
432455 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#161251 - 06/28/05 04:25 AM Transitions in dans
SANCHIN31 Offline
Former Moderator

Loc: Arkansas, U.S.
For the high ranks, what was the transition like between 3rd and 4th, 4th and 5th, etc.? I've been at 2nd Dan for a while, and I'm starting to feel the transition into 3rd I think. How do things change - if at all?
Thanks.

#161252 - 06/28/05 04:48 AM Re: Transitions in dans [Re: SANCHIN31]
still wadowoman Offline
Improved beefier techno-prat

Loc: Residence:UK- Heart:Md, USA
Sanchin,
I hold the same rank as you so this is an interesting question to me. How long have you been a second dan and how do you feel differently now that you "feel the transition into third"?
Sharon

#161253 - 06/28/05 05:02 AM Re: Transitions in dans [Re: SANCHIN31]
butterfly Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Torrance, CA
Sanchin31,

Same question as Wadowoman. Curious is all.

-B

#161254 - 06/28/05 05:35 AM Re: Transitions in dans [Re: still wadowoman]
SANCHIN31 Offline
Former Moderator

I feel the difference from the way I spar/fight and mostly from the way I teach.I made nidan in Feb05.

#161255 - 06/28/05 05:46 AM Re: Transitions in dans [Re: SANCHIN31]
still wadowoman Offline
Improved beefier techno-prat

Loc: Residence:UK- Heart:Md, USA
I passed shodan in April 2001 and nidan in April 2003. I feel that my technical ability and understanding has improved since my last grading but not sure I feel the transition you speak of.

It will be interesting to hear from some seniors.
Sharon

#161256 - 06/28/05 06:16 AM Re: Transitions in dans [Re: SANCHIN31]
butterfly Offline
Professional Poster

Sanchin,

Interesting. I made sho-dan in 1995 (and still am a sho-dan) in the style of karate I currently practice. And I have practiced this style of karate for roughly 15 years. So take this as limited answer from someone of no great rank and someone who has never considered himself a fighter.

In the past, I would practice at times six-seven days a week for 3-5 hours a day (not always, but more than occasionally)...that was until I got married and tried to find more of a balance recognizing that MAs were part of, not exclusive to, my life. I had practiced other stuff previously and still do, concurrently...and I think there have been climbs and plateaus in my understanding ever since I got into the Martial Arts over 20 years ago.

What I thought I knew, I recognize I didn't. And am woefully aware of my ignorance, but also understand that I can only accomplish so much in my spare time.

Funny thing, I still come back to the basics of karate. I am fascinated more by the fact that I still try to tweak techniques for better utility...just a right straight punch. I throw a better right and left now, and understand why I do so more than I did 10 or even 5 years ago.

I can do a ton more pushups...but that is only excercise and can be obtained by anyone who does pushups regularly.

However, I can see the mistakes of beginners more easily now, since I committed them myself and am trying to carve them away from my abilities and save some time for those below me, even though they only vaguely understand what I am trying to tell them. That to do this the hard slow way, will make you better and faster in the long run....instead of just copying incorrectly the look of a technique. So, I have to explain more, especially for an American audience when I compare this to Japanese students. This helps me realize the conceptual underpinnings of technique so that I ensure proper mechanice get passed along, instead of an incomplete facsimilie.

I see the weaknesses of myself and others more easily and try to focus on correcting them.

I spar more intelligently now, when comparing the physicality of an engagement in my youth.

What I am saying, is that this happens regardless of rank. And I try not so much to compare my abilities with those around me (which I used to do) except to make adjustments in my own training and correct bad habits....I came to the realization that I am not competing with others, just improving myself. That was a hard lesson. So....there are those that are better than me, and there are those that are less able than me. I recognize that. But we are all on the same road.

I guess this is a ramble, but what I am trying to say is that if you do anything long enough with enjoyment and earnest study, you will get better. Now, how you use that attainment might be different, but I don't think this betterment lies soley in the pervue of higher dans.

I say this because I have seen 3rd Dans that are 16 years old, and I have seen 3-4th dans that have practiced only 8 years, and they may or may not have the same appreciation of someone practicing 30 years, but who doesn't claim any rank. I just want to practice.

Just a few thoughts from someone who couldn't sleep.

-B

#161257 - 06/28/05 06:31 AM Re: Transitions in dans [Re: butterfly]
SANCHIN31 Offline
Former Moderator

butterfly,
I agree with your point,I guess I just relate dan rank to legitimate experience and rank.I'm not really looking to hear from teenage Hanshi's!

#161258 - 06/28/05 06:53 AM Re: Transitions in dans [Re: SANCHIN31]
butterfly Offline
Professional Poster

Sanchin31,

Point well taken. You are lucky to be involved in a good, honest, legitimate style where rank generally equals ability and knowledge.

Oh, and I don't consider myself any better than some of those teenagers, just that rank was one of those things that was not a priority at my dojo after sho-dan, and I have never really considered it.

So it always seemed funny to me to meet someone in a MA context and have them ask my rank...and eagerly relate theirs.

-B

#161259 - 06/28/05 06:56 AM Re: Transitions in dans [Re: SANCHIN31]
shoshinkan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: UK
I obtained shodan in the early 90s in shito ryu and shukokai, and havent graded since I found shorin ryu last year, im currently an orange belt and looking to take my shodan in shorin ryu in a year or 2.(as well as my green and brown belt), for some reason those grades mean more to me than other colours!

I personally view 3rd dan as a good grade to run a dojo, below is fine but i think the maturity of 3rd dan is better, its hard to define really.

If we look at 'typical' training times for progression - min 3/4 years to shodan, min 5/6 to nidan and min 9/10 to sandan, I think its fair to say that 10 years constant practise is a good guideline for running a dojo, but in somepeoples mind not for sandan?

I also think 10 years is a good guideline to really begin understanding the core principles in your chosen art, and sandan to me is a senior grade blackbelt.

3rd dan at under 30 years old I struggle to understand, from a life expierience perspective.

Sorry its not from personal expierience re the grade but i have trained for 20 years now, i actually view the progression to sandan as similair to that of white - green and brown to black - a big jump in my mind.

I do like to put things in boxes, and hope that you guys can see my view on this. But grade after all is a personal thing, and is different within each dojo and for each person, as I have recently accepted is how it should be (to a point!).

I have actually begun to start to see the importance of 'titles' ie renshi, shihan, kyoshi etc etc, I intend to research these a little more but for me they would have more significance than perhaps the dan grades. Again this matches my view that Sempai and sensei actually mean more than grade alone.

#161260 - 06/28/05 07:20 AM Re: Transitions in dans [Re: SANCHIN31]
nenipp Offline
Veteran

If I understand your question correctly you're not asking about ranks/dans really, more like the transformation that happens when you grow as a karateka?
In my case, the input is too small nowadays, for any development worth mentioning but as Butterfly said, the balance in my life is, well, more balanced
I used to hold 2.dan before I changed to the style I currently am practising, so I have no experiance of the higher dans of course.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Ronin1966 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga