FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 37 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jwwmantis 2
LeroyCFischer 1
William_Bent 1
futsaowingchun 1
Zombie Zero 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35591 Topics
432526 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#394624 - 05/10/08 12:08 PM Is this really humanly possible?
Emotionless Offline

I heard a story about someone who could defeat swordsmen without using any weapon. Is this physically possible cause how do you block the sword or parry off strikes. You can't effectively dodge all sword strikes...opinions please?

#394625 - 05/10/08 12:25 PM Re: Is this really humanly possible? [Re: Emotionless]
cxt Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: USA
Emo

Depends on how you define "possible"---that some people have done so is probably accurate...that any given person can so is a HIGHLY problematic.

The variables involved are legion, how good is the swordsmen how good is the un-armed guy, what is the actual siuation, how close are they are, are they in armor etc.

Percentage wise the old-timers often figured that even armed men had about 1 chance out of 3 of getting out of a sword (weapon) fight alive and more or less with all your limbs intact....consider how much LOWER a percentage you would have with no weapon.

IMO in "theory" its possible....but in "practice" the chances are "slim" and "none."

Of course if you have no other choice--"slim and none" starts looking better.

#394626 - 05/10/08 12:59 PM Re: Is this really humanly possible? [Re: Emotionless]
WuXing Offline

Loc: Idaho, USA
You only have to dodge one sword strike. Or better, keep the sword from ever being drawn.

#394627 - 05/10/08 01:50 PM Re: Is this really humanly possible? [Re: WuXing]
JoshuaMonjin Offline

Loc: Fallon, Nevada
There are specific techniques for a unarmed person to use against a swordsman. However, to actually do it and survive in real life depends on alot of variables. Your skill, his skill, environment, mental preparation, and what cxt said. You could ask in the sword section and get more info there as well.

#394628 - 05/10/08 03:31 PM Re: Is this really humanly possible? [Re: JoshuaMonjin]
jeff_andle Offline

Loc: Falmouth, Maine USA
Quote:

There are specific techniques for a unarmed person to use against a swordsman. However, to actually do it and survive in real life depends on alot of variables. Your skill, his skill, environment, mental preparation, and what cxt said. You could ask in the sword section and get more info there as well.

Let's say that "live practice" is an oxymoron...

That said, my only personal hope of surviving the encounter would seem to be rushing the attacker, being inside the strike, and trapping an arm. The almost certain failure says my shape would be more slim and my number of uncut limbs would be none.

#394629 - 05/11/08 01:38 PM Re: Is this really humanly possible? [Re: jeff_andle]
puffadder Offline

Loc: UK
With a full suit of armour I might stand a chance. However, think it might slow me down slightly!

#394630 - 05/11/08 02:16 PM Re: Is this really humanly possible? [Re: puffadder]
JoshuaMonjin Offline

Loc: Fallon, Nevada
Quote:

That's what bokkens were invented for Also proper control of distance and tai sabaki are what I see to be the most important, I personally would be very wary about rushing a swordsman. I know I keep saying this but if anyone has actual questions or want more responses from more experienced members please post in the Sword Forum.

#394631 - 05/11/08 06:23 PM Re: Is this really humanly possible? [Re: JoshuaMonjin]
jeff_andle Offline

Quote:

Quote:

That's what bokkens were invented for Also proper control of distance and tai sabaki are what I see to be the most important, I personally would be very wary about rushing a swordsman. I know I keep saying this but if anyone has actual questions or want more responses from more experienced members please post in the Sword Forum.

Non-lethal at least but still my limited exposure to gum-do includes this gem --

One of the people I consider my instructors - now a sixth degree - was giving a clinic in my direct instructor's TKD school. He wanted to give an example of why a sword high block is angled tip down so he called me out and asked me to do it wrong (level). he knew i could hold the block...

... if you know where this is going already shed a tear...

... he puffed his chest, rose onto the balls of his feet and chambered the mother of all overhead strikes. It connected mid-point on my bokken, oak to oak. The 1/3rd of his bokken beyond the impact flew into the crowd of students(oops, unintended) and the remaining 2/3 shattered in two from the vibration. My bokken faired better - the whip effect of the impact ejected a 4" long 1/4" thick slice from the tip.

I think that taking that strike with a bokken would have been - if not lethal - permanently disfiguring.

On the other hand, all 50 students had *excellent* high blocks all day.

#394632 - 05/11/08 06:23 PM Re: Is this really humanly possible? [Re: jeff_andle]
jeff_andle Offline

maybe shinai would have been more resilient?

#394633 - 05/11/08 11:59 PM Re: Is this really humanly possible? [Re: Emotionless]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
More idiots running rampant giving fa.com even less credibility and more onlinemcdojoism than ever.

Let's all go give the chi dork more advice on his hands,shall we?

Unfriggin believeable.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga