FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
1 registered (MattJ), 54 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
Dobbersky 3
MattJ 2
royal 2
ergees 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#339062 - 05/02/07 10:44 AM Instructor Salaries
Holliesc3 Offline
Stranger

I was an insrtuctor many years ago and have recently been asked to get back into it. What should I expect as far as pay these days? He did mention a bonus structure, so I assume that would have to do with active students, etc. I would like to have some idea of what I am worth (10 years training, 2nd degree Black, 6 years of teaching including Enrollment Director and Head Instructor for several years).
Thanks for your imput!

#339063 - 05/02/07 11:01 AM Re: Instructor Salaries [Re: Holliesc3]
MattJ Online   happy
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Depends on the market, and the size of the school. Could be anywhere from US$20-40,000 a year.

#339064 - 05/02/07 11:18 AM Re: Instructor Salaries [Re: MattJ]
Holliesc3 Offline
Stranger

Market is Pensacola Florida. He has two schools each with about 180 active students. It's also an ATA school.

#339065 - 05/02/07 11:24 AM Re: Instructor Salaries [Re: Holliesc3]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Amherst, MA
I think you should be thinking not what to expect in pay...but what you want. Like any job: is it full/part time and do you need the pay to compensate you for certain expenses (time away from a real job, car gas, your rent, etc.).

'Bonuses'...like 'salary'...pretty open-ended. Are you becoming a 'partner' of sorts (doing the McDojo thing of getting commissions on the new students you bring in), or considering doing a more certain route of paid instructor/hr.

#339066 - 05/02/07 11:52 AM Re: Instructor Salaries [Re: harlan]
Holliesc3 Offline
Stranger

I am going to be full time if I take the job. He is trying to open another school and has lost a couple of instuctors due to them opening their own schools. I just want to know what I should be asking for/expecting. What/how are some of you guys paid?

#339067 - 05/02/07 12:14 PM Re: Instructor Salaries [Re: Holliesc3]
cxt Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: USA
Hollie

Honestly, I'd ask to see the books.

Small business, your going to be hands-on for the day to day, you'll be able to figure it out plenty fast anyway.

Before you "set" a figure in your head, you need to know what the cash flow is like--how much they are makeing, are the numbers going up or down--its not like this is IBM.

Your taking a risk, so its resonable for the owner to take a bit of risk as well.

Quick and crude is just take the number of students and multiple by the amount they charge per month---not perfect of course, but might ball-park the income enough to get a decent price on what to ask for.

You mentiuon that several people have quit to start their own schools--why?
Was it just for the money--in which case your probably going to have some serious comeptiton really close to the school.
Maybe it was other reasons--reasons that might effect your as the new teacher--such as the owner not treating people fairly.

Another thing to think about it what exactly are your duties going to be?

Just teaching?

Or are they asking you to sell the program as well?

Are you going to be responsible for the up keep of the dojang?

Stuff like that can effect how much money you ask for.

#339068 - 05/03/07 11:10 AM Re: Instructor Salaries [Re: Holliesc3]
JohnL Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: NY, NY, USA
I guess it depends on whether you're going to be working as an instructor at the school or if you're going to be running the school. If you're running the school, is it as a paid employee or as a partner.

As an instructor:
Charge an hourly rate for the time you are asked to instruct. This should include any time that you commit to for either before or after the class. Basically time based.

Running School as paid employee:
On this you are simply assessing a job as you would with any other employer. You need to establish, time commitment, remuneration rate, medical/dental insurance for both you and your family, Bonus scheme, 401K scheme, etc.

Running School as a partner:
You need to do a complete assessment of the business.

All of these are standard methods of assessing any job/business opportunity, and should then be assessed against local market forces.

#339069 - 08/20/07 02:21 PM Re: Instructor Salaries [Re: JohnL]
ironsifu Offline

Loc: sacramento, CA
i have one paid teacher, whos a young guy, just got married. he has a TKD black belt, so i have to teach him my style and train him to fight like us. i do not look at him like a employee, i call him my student. i teach him in private lessons because he will run a kid program for me, and combine my style and his in the class. i said all that, because i mean, that if you teach him with respect, he will not screw you up and even want to compete with you.

you also have to pay good. i dont have much, but i give him $9 an hour, then i pay him more as the class gets bigger. i also give him a percentage of the equipment we sold, and when he does a testing the money is his. its works out pretty good. my goal is to open a school, that he will run, and he will keep percentage of the money. of course thats a few years down the road, and i'm sure he will still be around.

#339070 - 09/18/07 08:35 PM Re: Instructor Salaries [Re: ironsifu]
CANIWarrior Offline
Stranger

Loc: Brandon, FL
I have to be honest, since it's an ATA school in Florida, being in Chief Master Bill Clark's back yard, compensation will most likely come in the form of commission for signing up new students. A lot of ATA in FL and beyond tend to be about paying for results.

The other way a lot get paid is at testing. You could also ask (that since you may not be paid hourly for teaching) to be compensated for the number of students that pass at graduation.

Who knows. The great thing about compensation is that you can ask for whatever you want.

#339071 - 09/18/07 10:09 PM Re: Instructor Salaries [Re: Holliesc3]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

I heard somewhere that ATA are going door to door looking for customers...if someone came to my door selling MA, I'd insist on a demo right then and there. have him do a kata and some high kicks on my front lawn - then I'd ask how many pushup he can do, if his hands are registered with the PD as lethal weapons, and ask him if I wrote a check for $5,000 could I just get my black belt and certificate now without having to go to class.

how much does an ATA instructor make? probably somewhere between the going rate for an Amway salesman and a babysitter....not to mention, the sky's the limit with sign-on commission bonuses!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, tkd_high_green 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga