FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
MattJ 2
royal 2
Dobbersky 2
ergees 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#159211 - 06/24/05 03:28 AM Re: Opinion wanted [Re: CAC]
Equis Offline

Loc: in my pants.
Quote:

Quote:

Take KM if you want to get fit and for defense.

I honestly don't know why the most concerning subject of Krav Maga is the legitimacy of it.

There are tons of other Martial Arts that are not legit, but because it has a name like, "Dragon Tiger Lilly Crane Kung Fu Star Bucks Coffee Academny" people flock to it.

The best bet I would suggest is to shop around, go to some Dojos see what appeals to you and your needs.

By "legitimate" I meant more in terms of who is qualified to teach it, the type of establishemnt teaching it -- that sort of thing -- not so much whether the system itself is an efficacious one.

I just hoping that there is more to it than the Bobby Hill "let go of my purse!" technique.

And, more than just getting a bit "fit," I'm looking to get fighting "hard." I realize much of that is up to me, but if I could do it myself, I wouldn't be inclined to pay (possibly the highest prices in Portland, according to thier website) someone to kick me in the arse.

"What I will tell you is that the idea behind KM is to train and learn techniques right away. If yo ugo to a couple of classes and they do cardio for 25 min then techiques, I would run, not walk away."

I'll certainly keep that in mind. When I took Muay Thai years ago, the technique training itself was a devastating workout. Practitioners developed a certain cut physical appearance that you could tell didn't come from a 24 Hour Fitness...I guess I'll see.

As far as I know Krav Maga in the United States can only be licensed by the Krav Maga Assocation of America. Or IKMF which is the mother federation of KMAA.

To tell you the truch at our "dojo" we always have people who come form other MA. They take a class and are surprised how hardcore the training is. As well as Muy Thai boxers find it very similar. To tell you a long story short, an instructor and student of MT sparred and they had almost identical techniques. That is a given since KM tries to take the best and fastest way to learn KM from many Ma. MT being one of them, the both paricipants in the sparring found themselves pretty much evenly matched. The one side not the MT guy mentioned is that KM is a mean spirrited dirty version of MT and some moves the KM guy did on the MT guy were not lets say in the sports sense "illegal".

Of course taking Karate or an other MA can help in a street brawl a fight what have you. The focus on those MA is more of tradition, meditating, and scoring points at a match.
KM concetrated on street brawls, selfe defense, and pretty much staying alive. If you can breath you can fight is the motto I am finding to be synonmous with KM.

I used to take TKD and Judo to me these are the nice and polite versions of KM. Not that they don't have their merrits. KM just takes their most effects moves strips them down to easy to learn techniques.

#159212 - 06/24/05 03:31 PM Re: Opinion wanted [Re: Equis]
CAC Offline
Stranger

Thanks equis. It also seems to me that MT doesn't concern itself with possibilities of multiple attackers, at least not explicitly so...but someone could correct me if I'm wrong.

From a little poking around on the interent, I've noticed that some KM facilities offer some Filipino weapons stuff such as Pekiti Tersia (Kali). The "dojo" I'm looking at is one of them. Does this seem like a natural fit since KM doesn't have much in the way of an offensive weapons component yet? The website of the place I'm looking at says something to the effect that Kali teaches us what to do with weapons once we've disarmed an attacker (assuming there aare multiple attackers, I guess). I didn't know if they were just trying to justify a business arrangement or something?

I've appreceiated the discourse while I'm looking into things.

#159213 - 06/24/05 04:23 PM Re: Opinion wanted [Re: CAC]
schanne Offline
breaks things

Loc: Woodbury NJ
I would say go if that girl with the six pack abs is an instructor.

All jokes aside I'm sure you can learn to defend yourself with that system.

Hey man.... I can speed post without flood watch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by schanne (06/24/05 04:24 PM)

#159214 - 06/24/05 05:59 PM Re: Opinion wanted [Re: schanne]
RangerG Offline
Former Moderator

Loc: Chester County, Pennsylvania
Quote:

She appears on most Krav sites. Look close at her..veins standing out...tight abbs.. In weight lifting I would bet she was on steroids.. Hope I never have to grapple with her at a seminar...wait..what am I saying???

#159215 - 06/25/05 02:39 AM Re: Opinion wanted [Re: RangerG]
Equis Offline

Loc: in my pants.
Quote:

Quote:

She appears on most Krav sites. Look close at her..veins standing out...tight abbs.. In weight lifting I would bet she was on steroids.. Hope I never have to grapple with her at a seminar...wait..what am I saying???

I think the steriod girl youa re talking about is the one that is an instructor at the LA HQ. As well I have seen the black guy in the Police Uniform in many Krav Maga sites. He is as well the Police Instructor at the LA HQ. I am guessing once someone opens a sanctioned and licensed Krava Maga training center they get a package of media to put on their website.

#159216 - 06/30/05 10:19 AM Re: Opinion wanted *DELETED* [Re: CAC]
Legend of the Hungry Wolf Offline

Post deleted by RangerG

Stick to the thread topic please.

Edited by RangerG (06/30/05 09:35 PM)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Cord, Dedicated1, JasonM, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga