FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 32 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SenseiGregT, sagat, JFawkes, pluckysaga39, sgtdemeo
22911 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 5
AndyLA 5
Ed_Morris 4
futsaowingchun 3
ergees 3
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
Today at 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Recent Posts
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
Today at 03:51 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
08/29/14 10:50 PM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/28/14 02:39 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:58 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
08/16/14 04:59 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Forum Stats
22911 Members
36 Forums
35573 Topics
432484 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#159201 - 06/23/05 12:32 AM Opinion wanted
CAC Offline
Stranger

Hello all,

I'm a 31 year old male who finds himself getting increasingly chubby and lazy (and living in a fairly rough hood). MT sounds appealing, but I'm not planning on getting in any fights with trained fighters in rings (quite the contrary ). I've decided to look into Krav Maga here in Portland, OR.

From the bit of research that I've done, it seems that a recurring issue is the legitimacy of the KM being taught. I was hoping I might trouble someone to take a look at this establishment:

http://www.kravmagapdx.com/

Now, is this your typical cookie-cutter Krav Maga franchise? If so, is this the type place where the majority of people train in KM? The instructor has trained in various MAs for many years, but it just seems odd to me that one can get an instruction certificate from the "KM National Training Center in LA" and open up an "accredited" center, use the logo, etc... Is this normal?

Here is the instructor's MA Credentials:

Mark Blake, owner and chief instructor, teaches all the Krav Maga, Fitness and Kids' classes. He began training in martial arts in 1976, and has studied shotokan karate, a traditional Japanese style, for 27 years, earning the rank of 5th degree black belt in 1998. Mark graduated from two instructor training courses and was an official instructor, examiner and tournament judge with the Japan Karate Association (JKA). He competed in individual and team sparring and kata , representing the U.S. in the international "Shoto Cup" competition of the JKA three times. Mark taught karate for 19 years at his own school in Connecticut, and has cross-trained in kickboxing, Brazilian jiu-jitsu, Tai Chi and Pekiti Tersia Kali.

Mark's interest in Krav Maga began in 1998, when Krav Maga Worldwide Enterprises (KMWE) began offering seminars through the National Association of Professional Martial Artists, of which he is a member. He took a strong interest in the true nature of how people are commonly assaulted, realizing that traditional martial arts training alone does not provide a complete and realistic self defense solution to deal with the brutal violence of today's streets. Mark is engaged in ongoing training and instructor certification at the Krav Maga National Training Center in Los Angeles, where he has passed several phases of Krav Maga instructor training. He has been a certified Krav Maga instructor since May 2003.

Does anyone know this guy? I do intend to go check it out myself, but I'll have nothing to compare it to. They have a differnt guy there who teaches Pekiti Tersia. Incorporating some Kali into a KM regimen is appealing, and the guy Googles well...good lineage, etc.

At any rate, I appreciate any thoughts anyone would care to share.

CAC

Edited by CAC (06/23/05 12:37 AM)

#159202 - 06/23/05 01:35 AM Re: Opinion wanted [Re: CAC]
madmattg Offline

Loc: Brisbane, Qld, Australia
From the statements on the web and what you have said about him, it appears as though it follows the original KM lines. However in Australia and other countries we can only do our instructor courses through the israel instructors that conduct seminars throughout the world. So you have to book and attend those.

As for him attending LA ond doing various instructor courses means nothing really. As the true KM goes there are 5 beginner levels known as practitoner 1-5. Then Graduate Instrucor levels 1-5 and Expert 1-5 ( which is basically what you do for the evolution of the art.

It evolves all the time, so mixing other martial arts in with it doesnt pay any dividends.

If your after fitness, an exellent way to bring you co-ordination and ability to defend yourself and others up to speed. Without the need for competition then KM is a great way to go.

Still attend a free class or two and then write a comment on how it went. I will tell you a non BS description of how things are or should be.

Hope this helps.

#159203 - 06/23/05 07:47 AM Re: Opinion wanted [Re: CAC]
RangerG Offline
Former Moderator

Loc: Chester County, Pennsylvania
I have to agree with madmattg. It appears that the instructor has attended the same type program as most of the Krav Instructors in this end of the US. Most Krav instructors are also instructors in other forms. They just add the Krav system to their regular class offerings.

It would be very rare to find a Krav only dojo.

I would also attend a free class and evaluate what you see, and as madmattg noted, give us a bit of an idea of the experience.

My GF just started attending Krav at our dojo and loves it for both the cardio workout and the defense skillsets.

Also take a look in the general talk forum under the thread "what got you into MA" and you will see where I came from in the physical decline and recovery.

I would also add that the basic Krav training does not take all that long, and for the most part is inexpensive compared to other forms. In our dojo it is $65.00 a month with no contract. Remeber Krav is a system that is designed to teach you the most effective defenses in a short amount of time. And of course there is no reason that you cannot take another MA as well.

#159204 - 06/23/05 01:04 PM Re: Opinion wanted [Re: RangerG]
globetrotter Offline
does unto others before they do unto him

Loc: ny usa
I will speak heresy here - sometimes a mcdojo isn't the worst thing in the world.

I am 38, after almost 20 years of not training in anything, I decided to take up kung fu at a mcdojo. why? because it is a 3 minute walk from my house, has classes every day from 6-9 pm and several classes on the weekend, and allows me to use the facilities when I am not in a class.

they have 2 classes a week in what they call "chinese kick boxing" which is basically some type of mixed martial art stuff, with sparing. I will probrably not continue to black sash, ro maybe I will, or maybe I will go to a KM dojo half an hour from me, when I feel up to the commitment. but I have several hours of training a week, partners to work on my old KM stuff with, and a good, basic training enviroment. and, because it is so simple, I don't have to thing about drivng there, or how to fit the classes in, or what ever.

#159205 - 06/23/05 01:58 PM Re: Opinion wanted [Re: CAC]
Fletch1 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Florida
Portland? Oh man!

www.straightblastgym.com

www.straightblastgym.net

Not KM but certainly worth a visit. Tell them Fletch sent you.

#159206 - 06/23/05 02:29 PM Re: Opinion wanted [Re: globetrotter]
CAC Offline
Stranger

Thanks for your replies,

I did train in MT for a fairly short time back in college and got into really excellent shape. Can I expect that KM will be at least close to as ass-busting as Muay Thai training? I'm assuming that if I eventually add on the fight classes offered that I can get that sort of rigor. As I alluded to above, I'm looking for something that more oriented toward dealing with street assault than toward sport, and KM seems to fit that description.

I will look for that thread you mentioned Ranger. It may be a bit before I can make it to a couple of thier classes, but when I do I will post my impressions and a description.

Thanks again

#159207 - 06/23/05 04:46 PM Re: Opinion wanted [Re: CAC]
RangerG Offline
Former Moderator

Loc: Chester County, Pennsylvania
Always glad to help CAC.

#159208 - 06/23/05 06:23 PM Re: Opinion wanted [Re: CAC]
Equis Offline

Loc: in my pants.
Take KM if you want to get fit and for defense.

I honestly don't know why the most concerning subject of Krav Maga is the legitimacy of it.

There are tons of other Martial Arts that are not legit, but because it has a name like, "Dragon Tiger Lilly Crane Kung Fu Star Bucks Coffee Academny" people flock to it.

The best bet I would suggest is to shop around, go to some Dojos see what appeals to you and your needs.

#159209 - 06/23/05 06:41 PM Re: Opinion wanted [Re: CAC]
Plantman Offline

Loc: Maimi
I train with the Israeli Krav maga association and will not attempt to bash any others.

What I will tell you is that the idea behind KM is to train and learn techniques right away. If yo ugo to a couple of classes and they do cardio for 25 min then techiques, I would run, not walk away.

We do techniques from the moment the class starts(except for 5 minute warm up) until it ends. We review and review and then do another until t gets done right.

It's up to us on our own time to do our cardio,weights, etc...
Think about it, would you want to waste your 1 or 2 hours per week with any MA instructor jumping jacks? or doing crunces?

#159210 - 06/23/05 06:44 PM Re: Opinion wanted [Re: Equis]
CAC Offline
Stranger

Quote:

Take KM if you want to get fit and for defense.

I honestly don't know why the most concerning subject of Krav Maga is the legitimacy of it.

There are tons of other Martial Arts that are not legit, but because it has a name like, "Dragon Tiger Lilly Crane Kung Fu Star Bucks Coffee Academny" people flock to it.

The best bet I would suggest is to shop around, go to some Dojos see what appeals to you and your needs.

By "legitimate" I meant more in terms of who is qualified to teach it, the type of establishemnt teaching it -- that sort of thing -- not so much whether the system itself is an efficacious one.

I just hoping that there is more to it than the Bobby Hill "let go of my purse!" technique.

And, more than just getting a bit "fit," I'm looking to get fighting "hard." I realize much of that is up to me, but if I could do it myself, I wouldn't be inclined to pay (possibly the highest prices in Portland, according to thier website) someone to kick me in the arse.

"What I will tell you is that the idea behind KM is to train and learn techniques right away. If yo ugo to a couple of classes and they do cardio for 25 min then techiques, I would run, not walk away."

I'll certainly keep that in mind. When I took Muay Thai years ago, the technique training itself was a devastating workout. Practitioners developed a certain cut physical appearance that you could tell didn't come from a 24 Hour Fitness...I guess I'll see.

Edited by CAC (06/23/05 06:49 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Cord, Dedicated1, JasonM, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga