FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 13 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Troy7785, wakita, swisztony, Tonybb, shelly1993
22920 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 3
Matakiant 3
AndyLA 3
Bartfast 1
GojuRyuboy13 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Eugue Ryu
by
03/27/07 12:06 AM
Recent Posts
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Victor Smith
09/28/14 07:11 PM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
09/19/14 09:05 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
09/18/14 06:07 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
09/16/14 04:43 PM
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
Forum Stats
22920 Members
36 Forums
35579 Topics
432500 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#316781 - 01/21/07 10:33 AM Raul's Training clips
Raul Perez Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Lake Ronkonkoma, NY, USA
Hey all,

Since I got the digital camera I decided to do some clips of my Ryukyu Kempo training.

It shows some kata, some ground drills, some foot work drills, and a lot of bag work I've been doing for the past year or so.

I'm trying to get some clips of our 2 man drills, light sparring drills and our past Bogu Kumite matches we had in December.

Hope you enjoy and any criticisms definitely appreciated!

http://media.putfile.com/Ryukyu-Kempo

My best,

Raul

PS

be advised that the clip is over 7 minutes long and about 60MB. So you might want to give it some time to load.

#316782 - 01/21/07 12:36 PM Re: Raul's Training clips [Re: Raul Perez]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
What is there to criticise?
I think this is one of the most impressive pieces of MA training footage I have ever seen. What did that poor wavemaster ever do to you!?!?

You look comfortable and confident in all ranges, I freakin love your elbow combo drills from the clinch- will be stealing those if you dont mind .

Power, speed, guard, balance. You have it all. Of course, this does mean i have to hate you now

Gavin's footage from his Kenpo based RBSD group 'Combat arena' is also pretty jaw dropping.

Good kenpo seems to be a very dynamic and versatile style, and you demonstrate it brilliantly.

Inspirational stuff for me, much respect

#316783 - 01/21/07 12:46 PM Re: Raul's Training clips [Re: Raul Perez]
Xibalba Offline

Loc: Lansing, MI, USA
Hi Raul!

Thanks for sharing! Nice stuff - good power on the strikes, and what seems to be a very well-rounded curriculum. Do you always do all your groundwork on the hardwood floor? Ouch!

As far as any feedback goes, when you were doing footwork drills working on lateral movement, there was a distinct telegraph each time just before you moved. You lifted your back knee with a kind of a "hop" just before you pushed off the front foot. I am unfamiliar with the particulars of your style, so I do not know if this serves any particular function, but it seemed like an obvious "tell" that could give an opponent a chance to strike before you actually moved. Once your sparring opponent sees this, I think there would be time to hit you right as you lifted your knee, before you exploded off the line. Something I might try is to push off the line with your front foot without lifting the back knee, just letting your back foot slide across the floor. This would eliminate that split second where you are on one foot and not yet moving, and make your lateral move sneakier. (Then again, if that knee lift has implications in your style, feel free to ignore my feedback - I am, after all, some anonymous internet VTG who may or may not know a darn thing about MA! )

Anyway - great stuff overall! I can't wait to see the bogu matches!

Peace,
Mike

#316784 - 01/21/07 12:51 PM Re: Raul's Training clips [Re: Raul Perez]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

Loc: BKK, Thailand
Very nice Raul!

A little hint; when you do the elbows, twist your waist in the same direction as the strike, and at the moment of impact, let it recoil back. Then you'll be in the position to follow with either a shovel hook using your left hand, or another elbow smash. I got this from reading about gladiators that dual wielded daggers with big maces. They would smash you with the mace, and when you instictively blocked, they'd stab you in the ribs with the dagger. Sneaky Romans, I say.

But all in all, you are Awesome! I'd love to study under you if only I was in the states.

-Taison out

#316785 - 01/21/07 01:13 PM Re: Raul's Training clips [Re: Raul Perez]
bo-ken Offline
Veteran

Loc: beaver falls, PA, beaver
That was impressive! Your hand combinations were dead on and you kicks were full of power. I can't wait to see all the sparring and partner drills. Keep up the good work.

#316786 - 01/21/07 02:26 PM Re: Raul's Training clips [Re: Raul Perez]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
Raul, good stuff. First, I love the music, I'm a big Linkin Park fan. Second, I love elbows and you use them very effectively. Third, you've got the skip down for the knees.

On the step over arm bar, the only thing I would suggest, and you probably already know this, try getting your butt closer so you are one with your opponent and his shoulder is up higher, the distance you have between could make the difference between a tap or an escape. When stepping over I almost yank the arm/shoulder up while going back thus ensuring I get my butt in the right position. Again you probably already know this, plus I've worked on hardwood floors and they are much slippier, and I understand it was only training. Other then that impressive by my standards and I would be more then happy to train with yourself.

I also liked the wave master drill where you are laying on the ground using it to kick up and the short get up and roundhouse. We've never tried this but have done so with partners. In your use of the wave master you can put force behind your kicks whereas with partners we can't. I liked this and will bring this up.

Good job and hope to see more of this stuff.

#316787 - 01/21/07 04:14 PM Re: Raul's Training clips [Re: Dereck]
Tom2199 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: England
Personally i don't think it was that great, nice to see some traditional MA's doing more rounded work though.

just to make a few points,

1. You look to need more core strength you have trouble getting up after the arm bars hes not gonna give you time to stumble up like that, also add some resistance i thought that guy was a really expensive dummy.

2. plant your lead foot solid when you round house that way you get the full extent of your bodyweight behind the kick instead of jumping off and flicking, same with the floor kicks seems like a major waste of energy.

3. thrust your hip into the knees you get more reach and power, it will help strengthen your core plus get your weight behind it.

I hope being comfortable in all ranges is not getting confused with being oblivious to all ranges, thats a harsh statement but until you see sparring you don't really know

#316788 - 01/21/07 04:23 PM Re: Raul's Training clips [Re: Tom2199]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Quote:

1. You look to need more core strength you have trouble getting up after the arm bars hes not gonna give you time to stumble up like that, also add some resistance i thought that guy was a really expensive dummy.

I think if you look at the initial post, you will see that these were qualified as ground mobility drills, not actual rolling practice.

I am all for seeing good stuff performed by those more skilled than I, please feel free to share any footage you have of your training Tom. I have trained a little with some MT guys, and the power generation can be intense- would love to see your application of it.

Edited by Cord (01/21/07 04:24 PM)

#316789 - 01/21/07 04:28 PM Re: Raul's Training clips [Re: Cord]
Tom2199 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: England
i will have more vids posted soon, im in great shape at the moment im fighting next Sunday in Oldam (greater Manchester i think) so if i can get that filmed it will be posted

If i cant ill get lots of sparring and conditioning drills put up instead

#316790 - 01/21/07 04:31 PM Re: Raul's Training clips [Re: Raul Perez]
TaeKwonBoxer Offline

Quote:

Hey all,

Since I got the digital camera I decided to do some clips of my Ryukyu Kempo training.

It shows some kata, some ground drills, some foot work drills, and a lot of bag work I've been doing for the past year or so.

I'm trying to get some clips of our 2 man drills, light sparring drills and our past Bogu Kumite matches we had in December.

Hope you enjoy and any criticisms definitely appreciated!

http://media.putfile.com/Ryukyu-Kempo

My best,

Raul

PS

be advised that the clip is over 7 minutes long and about 60MB. So you might want to give it some time to load.

There really isnt much to critize, great speed and bower, very impressive. I loved your elbow combos, that would knock someone out cold only one thing, when throwing your right hand turn your hips into it instead of jsut using you arm, youll find you have A LOT more power

keep up the good work!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga