FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 29 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LeroyCFischer, JadeKing, Beefcake, WesJones, simonajones111
22933 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
charlie 2
futsaowingchun 2
harlan 1
Matakiant 1
William_Bent 1
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
New Topics
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
MA style video library
by
03/22/06 03:18 PM
Recent Posts
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
MA style video library
by charlie
11/11/14 04:05 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/29/14 10:01 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Forum Stats
22933 Members
36 Forums
35589 Topics
432521 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#159003 - 06/22/05 03:42 PM Shinjinkai Aikido??
bushi541 Offline

Hey every one just wanted to know what Shinjinkai Aikido really is all about. I checked out there website www.shinjinkai.org, and they seem like a really serious school. I was just wondering if any one can give me some input about them.

Thanks

#159004 - 06/22/05 06:41 PM Re: Shinjinkai Aikido?? [Re: bushi541]
modernwarrior Offline

yea their in chicago i want to go their to they seem pretty cool and a legit school.

#159005 - 06/24/05 12:51 PM Re: Shinjinkai Aikido?? [Re: modernwarrior]
bushi541 Offline

it seems they're not really known, this maybe out of topic but do you know anything about Degerberg Blend??

#159006 - 07/14/05 01:55 PM Re: Shinjinkai Aikido?? [Re: bushi541]
madmusashi Offline

I had the amazing opportunity of training under both Toyoda Sensei and Moore Sensei from 1998 - 2001. Shinjinkai is definitely serious and they train in a more combat-oriented aikido style (real applications) combined with Zen meditation and misogi. If you have a chance to train there, it is one of the best schools in America, hands down.

#159007 - 07/14/05 02:43 PM Re: Shinjinkai Aikido?? [Re: madmusashi]
bushi541 Offline

That's great to here, my brother lives in Chicago and he checked out thier intro class. He's taken a number of martial arts in the Philippines mainly Muay Thai, Escrima, and Karate. When he took the Intro class he was amazed by the richness and depth that Sensei Moore expplained, He just said that it was great. I'll defenitely train there when I get back to Chicago.

#159008 - 07/15/05 01:23 AM Re: Shinjinkai Aikido?? [Re: madmusashi]
bushi541 Offline

Hey Mad Musasho I was just wondering how a normal class begins in the SHinjinkai and how Moore Sensei aproach attacks like a jab, kicks, and grabs. I mean whats makes his teaching style so realistic, so combat oriented, and so dynamic??

#159009 - 07/15/05 12:56 PM Re: Shinjinkai Aikido?? [Re: bushi541]
madmusashi Offline

Moore also teaches for a company called Tactical Applications. They instruct the U.S. military in counter-terrorism, modern weapons and hand-to-hand combat. He's been doing that for over ten years.

If you read some of Moore's writings on the Shinjinkai website, you'll get a little feel of how his work is combat oriented. Toyoda Sensei's emphasis was always focused on adapting the technique for real world applications. Moore has taken that a step further with his Tactical Applications courses.

In the years I was able to train with him, he taught how to deal with sucker punches, low kickers, ground fighters, boxers, you name it. He can handle all of that stuff and more. His aikido style is adapted for this.

I personally observed a class with Toyoda Sensei (about two months before he passed away, unfortunately) wherein he scolded a student for relying too much on his eyes. "Why are you looking at his hands? Don't focus on any of that stuff! You don't need it!" Then he called a brown belt up and bellowed, "Any attack!"

Toyoda continued to face the class and speak to us as the brown belt threw a punch. He redirected it and lightly "smacked" the attacker on the cheek. The brown belt kicked, and Toyoda caught it, again without having to look. He kept talking to us and the brown belt kept attacking. Each time, it would be redirected or trapped, and Toyoda would "smack" the guy's cheek. This happened for about a minute and a half. He never looked at the guy. Then he turned, they bowed, and he again bellowed, "Stop looking at the hands!" Then he laughed and broke the tension and we resumed training.

Trust me, Moore is the real deal. His style is very similar.

Also, I have neglected to mention the other Sensei there, David Miller. Not only is he an authentic lineage holder in a legitimate Zen tradition, he's a weapons-master and the only human being that I've seen who can actually stop you dead in your tracks with his kiai. Again, this sounds far-fetched but I have been the recipient of it in the dojo.

My friend Jerry faced Miller with a jo. When he thrusted, Miller sidestepped it and brought his jo in a tight circle onto the oncoming stick. He simultaneously let out a growl that sounded something like "yeeeee-it!" Jerry's face went pale and he dropped his jo. I couldn't help it and started giggling at Jerry. I jokingly whispered, "You p****." {edited by modertor for language} Miller heard me and called me over.

"What's the attack?" I asked, and Miller told me to perform a munetsuke to the chest. I thrust the jo. He sidestepped and appeared to merely flick his wrist over in a one or tow inch circle. The next thing I knew, it felt as if a ton of bricks had landed on my staff. At the same instant, I heard his "yeeee-it!", only this time it was aimed at ME. I honestly can't explain the feeling of absolute TERROR that swept through my body. My face went pale and I couldn't move. And then Miller (lightly) brought his staff down onto the crown of my head. He smiled and I felt like an ass.

God, I miss training with those guys. They are the best in Illinois. When they throw you, it feels as if you blank out for a second and then hit the earth like you fell from a tall building. But you're not hurt.

And if you live anywhere near New York, Marc Pandolfi, another direct student of Toyoda's, teaches there and he's up there with Moore and Miller.

Edited by KiDoHae (07/20/05 10:04 PM)

#159010 - 07/15/05 12:59 PM Re: Shinjinkai Aikido?? [Re: bushi541]
madmusashi Offline

Quote:

That's great to here, my brother lives in Chicago and he checked out thier intro class. He's taken a number of martial arts in the Philippines mainly Muay Thai, Escrima, and Karate. When he took the Intro class he was amazed by the richness and depth that Sensei Moore expplained, He just said that it was great. I'll defenitely train there when I get back to Chicago.

Moore is a fascinating instructor. He'll hang with you after class and have a beer. He's very quiet and soft-spoken but can amaze you with his breadth of knowledge. He truly is a modern warrior and a formidable instructor.

#159011 - 07/18/05 11:37 AM Re: Shinjinkai Aikido?? [Re: madmusashi]
bushi541 Offline

That's great i've finally gotten some one to tell me a little about Moore Sensei. If you have any more stories to tell us about your training that will be great!! I enjoy reading such stories. Tell me MadMusashi where do you live now and are you still practicing Aikido??

#159012 - 07/18/05 05:24 PM Re: Shinjinkai Aikido?? [Re: bushi541]
madmusashi Offline

I live in Los Angeles and am training at the L.A. Aikikai (although there was a four-year gap in-between training that was a pain in the butt). It's a very good school, but very different from the training I am used to.

Here's one of my favorite stories about Sensei Moore that was related to me by my former roommate, who was out having a drink with him at an Irish pub. Apparently some big drunken jerk approached her and began to hit on her. Despite the fact that she told him she wasn't interested, the big guy wouldn't leave her alone. In desperation, she said, "I'm here with my boyfriend." She pointed over at Keith.

"What's THAT @$$*^#@&^ gonna do about it?" the guy bellowed.

Keith merely smiled, shrugged, and raised his beer. This unsettled the guy so much that he walked away.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga