FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 31 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 2
jwwmantis 2
Beefcake 1
LeroyCFischer 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Chum Kiu's double Tan Sau motion
by futsaowingchun
Today at 10:08 AM
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Chum Kiu's double Tan Sau motion
by futsaowingchun
Today at 10:08 AM
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35592 Topics
432527 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#301244 - 11/13/06 11:41 AM Combat Hapkido
tarpshack Offline

My brother's friend is taking a martial arts called Combat Hapkido. Has anyone heard anything about it? I get the sense that it's a self defense style. Has anyone here studied it? I'd like to know more about it and hear from people who have practiced it.

#301245 - 11/13/06 11:50 AM Re: Combat Hapkido [Re: tarpshack]
TeK9 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Northern California, USA
You know I've heard about this Combat hapkido lately. From the stuff I've read it's considered a more "reality" self defense system. I suppose instead of like traditional hapikido where they deal with all sorts of situations. Combat hapkido focuses more on modern based self defense situations. From all that I've read I've concluded that combat hapkido has adapted only the most practical techniques of hapkido and included some weapons portion to is curriculum, most likely stick or cane self defense.
Vinci

#301246 - 11/13/06 11:54 AM Re: Combat Hapkido [Re: TeK9]
VDJ Offline
Veteran

It was founded by GM John Pelligrini (do a google search and you will find his webpage I'm certain). I know several people who train in it and speak highly of its effectivness. It is pretty popular with LEO's.

VDJ

#301247 - 11/13/06 02:27 PM Re: Combat Hapkido [Re: tarpshack]
MasL Offline

Well... I have seen numerous references to it over the years. It was given widespread exposure in TKDT years ago. It's pretty controversial within hapkido circles for a whole host of reasons

I had dialogue with a couple of CH guys. They both had a king size chip on their shoulder and seemed to think theirs was the ultimate for self defence. One was the guy who claimed he could beat Tyson (and me) up and the other one was the guy who likened me to dog ****

Obviously I was not too impressed. They seem to have an attitude that get's people's back up. For example Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and MMA were two of their pet peeves. Particularly the fact that a Sgt Larssen had introduced MMA training into the army combatives programme. They were both pretty disrespectful about this person.

Things like that seemed to really anger them. No need to guess what they thought the US Army should have been learning.

There's a video on youtube of a CH black belt grading.

No comment

#301248 - 11/13/06 03:37 PM Re: Combat Hapkido [Re: MasL]
tarpshack Offline

Quote:

No comment

Are you referring to the Defense Against 5 Attackers video?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upYOz1wDRH8

I did notice on the International Combat Hapkido Federation webpage they state that "in 1999 the Combat Hapkido System was officially recognized and accredited as a legitimate 'Kwan' of HapKiDo by the WKF/KKA (Kido-Hae)." So why is it controversial in the Hapkido circles?

From what I'm reading here and on their website, it seems like a stripped down Hapkido focused on self-defense in modern day real world situations.

Mostly my curiousity stemmed from hearing of fourth blacks coming from this system in four years, and I wasn't sure what it was about.

#301249 - 11/13/06 03:56 PM Re: Combat Hapkido [Re: MasL]
Prizewriter Offline
Professional Poster

Quote:

Well.. For example Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and MMA were two of their pet peeves. Particularly the fact that a Sgt Larssen had introduced MMA training into the army combatives programme. They were both pretty disrespectful about this person.

Ironic that, as it was a Senior BJJ practioner who helped develop the groundwork program found in CH.

I have trained with Mark Shuey, a senior weapons instructor for CH who specializes in the Cane. Highly impressed.

The only thing that bothered me about CH is the lack (or seemingly the lack) of resistance training.

#301250 - 11/13/06 04:38 PM Re: Combat Hapkido [Re: tarpshack]
vegantkd Offline

That video was funny. I usually keep to myself instead of insulting another martial art but if that was a black belt test I think the entire art of Combat Hapkido should fail based on that performance. That's right, the entire art of Combat Hapkido is a white belt now. Start over.
And first off, if you're defending against 5 guys, you're not submitting, you're breaking. So to be an accurate simulation, none of those people should've been getting back up. If I have your arm locked and your buddies are coming after me, I'm breaking that arm so you don't get back up. And I think at one point when he was punching the mitts he actually missed. And is it me or was he tapping all the targets. They might as well not have been holding targets for as light as he was hitting. I'm sorry but that video really disgusted me. All in all, it kind of looks like how my friends and I would joke around if we were drunk. And it would still look nicer.

#301251 - 11/13/06 05:12 PM Re: Combat Hapkido [Re: vegantkd]
crablord Offline
th3 t4sty sn4ck

Loc: Australia, QLD, GC
I liked the way that the "totally serious attackers" walked up behind him and grabbed his shoulder, and only one at a time. Hed get owned in a real 5 v 1 lol

#301252 - 11/13/06 05:17 PM Re: Combat Hapkido [Re: Prizewriter]
EarlWeiss Offline

If any CH guys bad mouth BJJ just ask them why their instructor works so closely with Carlson Gracie Jr. ? Been to some seminars with Pelligrini, and at least one was team taught by Carlson Gracie jr. They were both at another seminar series and had a mutual admiration thing going. One reaso I went to Pelligrini's seminar was because so many people bad mouth him, what he does, and his rank as well as his training system. I found him to be quite prsoneable at the seminars and he did not bad mouth anything. He was pretty straightforward telling you to use what worked for you and that his program could be used to supplement another art you were teaching as well as help market to the public from the non traditional aspect of no excessive uniforms , formalities etc.

#301253 - 11/14/06 07:31 AM Re: Combat Hapkido [Re: tarpshack]
MasL Offline

Quote:

Quote:

No comment

Are you referring to the Defense Against 5 Attackers video?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upYOz1wDRH8

I did notice on the International Combat Hapkido Federation webpage they state that "in 1999 the Combat Hapkido System was officially recognized and accredited as a legitimate 'Kwan' of HapKiDo by the WKF/KKA (Kido-Hae)." So why is it controversial in the Hapkido circles?

From what I'm reading here and on their website, it seems like a stripped down Hapkido focused on self-defense in modern day real world situations.

Mostly my curiousity stemmed from hearing of fourth blacks coming from this system in four years, and I wasn't sure what it was about.

I can't comment on how good it is or isn't because I haven't seen it. All I can do is comment on the attitude of a few students I have had dialogue with.

If you want to find out more I would suggest you got to the Bullshido site and do a search. But keep an open mind in view of any criticisms made.

In other word try to form your own conclussions based on the evidence you find.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga