FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 56 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
MAWomanTCC, Manu, wlh001, HonestyM57, Sanda_fan
23231 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
exceptionist2 1
Raul Perez 1
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
New Topics
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Recent Posts
Forum Stats
23231 Members
36 Forums
35699 Topics
432766 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#237642 - 08/02/06 03:51 PM Re: ATA #2 [Re: MLA]
bluemesa159 Offline
Stranger

Loc: Centennial, CO
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I thought I'd make some clarifications to what has been posted...

Quote:

Quote:

About the 4 front kicks #1 is right leg in front left leg in back front kick with right leg, #2 right leg in back left leg in front front kick with right leg, #3 left leg in front right left in back front kick with left leg, #4 left in back right in front kick with left leg.

Thank you for the explanation. So, it's one front kick from two positions on each side...not really four different kicks. Or, am I missing something (again)?

Close. The #1, #2, #3, #4 is not foot-directional dependant, rather, it's foot-positional dependant.

In ATA, the front kick is performed from the front stance.
#1 is the front foot w/ the rear foot planted. Rock the body back onto the back leg, lift the front leg up, knee high into chamber, snap the foot forward.
#2 is the rear foot, don't move the front foot.
#3 is the front foot... slide the rear foot up even with the front foot, then kick with the front foot. Used to kick and move in on your attacker.
#4 is the rear foot... slide the front back to the rear and then kick with the rear. Used to kick & evade the attacker.

Not sure if the stripe on the belt issue was ever fully explained, so I'll give you the answer straight out of the Instructor book, page 210.
Color Belt Knowledge Stripes:
"The first stripe is earned for memorizing all stances, blocks, strikes, and kicks for that belt level. The second is for memorizing the form for that belt level. The third is for memoizing all sparring segments or one-steps."
The knowledge stripe(s) are placed on the wearers left side of the belt.

Color Belt Rank Stripe:
"This black stripe is worn on the right side of the belt and does indicate rank. It shows that the student is a decided rank for that belt level rather than a recommended."

#237643 - 08/03/06 09:13 AM Re: ATA #2 [Re: bluemesa159]
MLA Offline

Loc: IN
Well, I quit going to ATA a while back.

Got tired of classes in which I was the only one over 13 (and *most* classmates were *much* younger than 13), and reciting stuff during one-steps like, "Manners. I'm proud to use them. Manners." (Oops, forgot: That's probably copyrighted.)

Instead, I registered for the TKD course at the university, but now the section has been cancelled, and the other sections don't fit my schedule. Too bad, because that would have been less than $100 for two 90-minute classes per week, September-December. (I work at the university, and get fee remission as a perk.)

Looks like no more TKD for me...for a while.

=MLA

#237644 - 08/09/06 12:31 AM Re: ATA #2 [Re: MLA]
Fletch1 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Florida
Sounds like a reasonable decision.

I never post here but caught this thread as I remember my experience with the ATA. Nice people. Not much martial arts...but they were nice. Very business oriented and they have a very organized program that grooms and drives their Black Belts to carry on the organization and generate money and open new schools...infinitely much more so than ITF or WTF schools.

I remember my Camo belt as well and the belt tests every few weeks leading up to it and the understanding that I would have my Black Belt in less than two years if I kept coming and didn't miss a test.

I am thankful for the experience but would not go back or advise anyone looking for martial arts to follow the same path.

#237645 - 08/09/06 04:33 AM Re: ATA #2 [Re: TeK9]
Derik Offline
Cruisin' for a bruisin'

Front kick #1= Right leg in back kick with right, #2=right leg in front kick with right, #3=left in back kick with left,#4=left in front kick with left

oops just read your last post, I am probally quitting mine once I turn 16 but until then its better then nothing

Edited by Derik (08/09/06 04:34 AM)

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga