FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 44 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jwwmantis 2
William_Bent 1
simonajones111 1
futsaowingchun 1
Zombie Zero 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35591 Topics
432526 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Topic Options
#255579 - 05/18/06 05:45 PM Thoughts on Taika Oyata and RyuTe Kempo
RyuTeStudent Offline
Stranger

I am about to complete my first year of training in RyuTe and so far I have really enjoyed the experience. I have barely scratched the surface of learning this martial art but am very excited to continue training. This past weekend I had the privilege of seeing Taika Oyata in action at a seminar.

As a relatively new student of martial arts and new poster on this board, I am curious to see if any of you might be willing to share your thoughts about Taika Oyata and the RyuTe system. I can see that there are many knowledgeable posters here and I appreciate any feedback you might have to offer.

#255580 - 05/18/06 05:50 PM Re: Thoughts on Taika Oyata and RyuTe Kempo [Re: RyuTeStudent]
shoshinkan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: UK
I have been told by several Senior karateka that Taika Oyata Sensei groups karate is of the highest order, your a lucky person!

www.shoshinkanuk.blogspot.com

#255581 - 05/18/06 06:29 PM Re: Thoughts on Taika Oyata and RyuTe Kempo [Re: shoshinkan]
wristtwister Offline
like a chiropractor, only evil

Loc: South Carolina
Shoshin,
I trained at several seminars with some of Oyata's top students. They were quite capable and excellent in weapons.

That was back in the 1980's, before I was "an old man", and could stay with most anybody. As in most of the "old" Okinawan styles at that time, we kicked the crap out of each other's legs when sparring, and those guys could make you know where the nerves were.

You haven't lived until somebody blasts your sciatic nerve with a good, hard shin kick... it makes your legs wobble...

#255582 - 05/18/06 06:36 PM Re: Thoughts on Taika Oyata and RyuTe Kempo [Re: wristtwister]
shoshinkan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: UK
LOL, hard shin kick... it makes your legs wobble...

That it does, oh that lovely 'sick' feeling..........

www.shoshinkanuk.blogspot.com

#255583 - 05/18/06 06:50 PM Re: Thoughts on Taika Oyata and RyuTe Kempo [Re: RyuTeStudent]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

what are the major influences in RyuTe Kempo? shuri-te or tomari-te ? or both? thanks. sounds like a good style.

#255584 - 05/18/06 08:42 PM Re: Thoughts on Taika Oyata and RyuTe Kempo [Re: RyuTeStudent]
Empishu Offline

Loc: Everyones hometown, pa
Its a pretty solid system, Taika Oyata is one of the few remaining okinawan karate masters. He seems to be an amazing person and I hope to attend a seminar of his. Hes had alot of political drama, but hes still a good teacher.

#255585 - 05/18/06 09:01 PM Re: Thoughts on Taika Oyata and RyuTe Kempo [Re: RyuTeStudent]
Sensei Paul Hart Offline
Banned Member

Loc: Lehigh Acres, Florida
Taika Seiyu Oyata is one of the best. I have had the opportunity to study what he does, and have went to a few of his get togethers. His Te is top of the line. He does it in the Old Way that I am partial to. He is one of the few Modern Karateka that has the Old knowledge, IMHO. I first met with him about 14 years ago in Kansas City, Mo at one of his birthday celebrations. If there was one place that I would go to learn Karate, this would be the place. I don't give compliments loosely, but Oyata is deserving of them.

Most certainly lots of Shuri influence, Ed.

#255586 - 05/21/06 09:17 PM Re: Thoughts on Taika Oyata and RyuTe Kempo [Re: Ed_Morris]
Raul Perez Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Lake Ronkonkoma, NY, USA
Taika Oyata's katas are more from Naha and Shuri. There is a kata called Tomari Seisan kata but I traced that Kusanku who I belive is in the Naha area. One of Oyata's senior students stated that it was called Seisan when he taught in Okinawa but changed it to Tomari Seisan when he taught in the US. I'm not sure if that is true but all I know is that I cant trace any of the 12 empty handed kata to Tomari based on my research.

As far as Oyata himself... basically a bad mamma jamma. One of Shigeru Nakamura's top guys, All Okinawan full contact fighting champion and was awarded a red belt with gold stripe to signify he was the best fighter (which is why his system has the silver and gold stripes for Yudansha), one of the pioneers in revitalizing Okinawan kara-te's lost "secrets" aka Tuite Jitsu and Kyusho Jitsu.

Regards,

Raul
Nidan - Ryukyu Kempo
Albert Geraldi's Association

#255587 - 05/24/06 12:51 PM Re: Thoughts on Taika Oyata and RyuTe Kempo [Re: Raul Perez]
Victor Smith Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Derry, NH
Paul,

I do believe you're right, I have friends who trained with Oyata Sensei years ago, in the Mid-West, back when George Dillman first showed up.

But always the skeptic, as much of Oyata's work is kept closed system, one can't do more than accept another opinion.

We can't really evaluate what we can't see.

And it's an issue many places, times and individuals.

#255588 - 05/24/06 01:23 PM Re: Thoughts on Taika Oyata and RyuTe Kempo [Re: Victor Smith]
PaulHart Offline
banned member

Loc: The Real
If you ever get the chance, he is worth visiting, and will share knowledge with you. He is a good person, and a true Karateka, IMHO.

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Ronin1966 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga