FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 32 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ronin1966 3
futsaowingchun 3
GojuRyuboy13 2
swordy 1
AndyLA 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
10/22/14 07:20 AM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35582 Topics
432510 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#209548 - 11/30/05 12:06 AM Ohan, paiku and pachu kata (ryuei-ryu) video clips
phatkata Offline

hi everyone...

does anyone have those video clips available???.

pls pvt message me.

thank you.

phatkata.

#209549 - 02/13/06 02:03 PM Re: Ohan, paiku and pachu kata (ryuei-ryu) video clips [Re: phatkata]
gojumaster Offline

Scot Mertz, over at http://www.katamasters.com/ has a video posted claiming to be Ryuei-Ryu's Ohan kata.

I'm hoping to hear back from him as to where he learned this form, as I understand it's considered one of the most advanced kata of the system.

#209550 - 02/13/06 03:06 PM Re: Ohan, paiku and pachu kata (ryuei-ryu) video clips [Re: gojumaster]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/15814140/an/0/page/0

...he might make you buy the videos first.

he admittedly only 'dabbled' in Ryuei Ryu...yet he knows the most advanced kata of the system?

also he claims that he had to use his MA in combat in Iraq. He blended Shotokan and Judo.

Quote:

I also have dabbled in Ryuei Ryu, Shorin Ryu, Judo and Genkukan Jujitsu. Every system has positive points, and I really like some of the training aspects of systems like Judo (I actually hold a Yondan in Kodokan Judo).

So that is kind of what started it. The next big thing was my time in Iraq. I was in a situation where I actually had to defend myself unarmed. That really changed my outlook on everything. That is when I decided that straight punching and kicking systems aren't really effective in close combat. Don't get me wrong, I've spent over 20 years doing Shotokan, and I love it, but it's not practical. Judo isn't much better. What I was forced to do was more inbetween the two. That is the basis for Saishu Ryu.

If you e-mail me on the side I'll send you the whole Saishu Ryu course. It's not a bad set up. Lots and lots of escapes, and breaking kata down into one-two type combinations. I teach on base here at Fort Meade, and I'd really like to give something to the guys who are going over to the war zones to prepair them for what they might encounter. I dont want anyone to have to do what I have done, and I'd rather them be prepaired.

oh yeah and he's a 27 year old, 9th dan, style inventor. So he's teaching young adults on base the 200 kata he knows plus Shotokan and Judo ...and this makes them prepared how exactly? The military probably don't care...as long as he's giving the soldiers a workout and can still pull a trigger after class...

http://www.karatethejapaneseway.com/kara...b9063a2b675d1ac

#209551 - 02/13/06 03:53 PM Re: Ohan, paiku and pachu kata (ryuei-ryu) video clips [Re: phatkata]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

original question: no clips...but this:
http://www.kamikazeusa.com/webstore/cate...38A91069D56D32B

#209552 - 02/13/06 11:57 PM Re: Ohan, paiku and pachu kata (ryuei-ryu) video clips [Re: Ed_Morris]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
Oooooooohhhh...

I'm not buying it either. It's the old I have the most combat effective system ever con.

#209553 - 03/20/06 02:10 PM Re: Ohan, paiku and pachu kata (ryuei-ryu) video clips [Re: phatkata]
SaishuRyu Offline
Banned Member

most of these katas are at www.katamasters.com. I know Mr. Mertz is working on getting up all of these videos for members of his site.

For all you guys who raise the flag so much, maybe you should go train with the guy sometime. He is really freaking good at what he does and very down to earth, that is why the military has him teaching people.

Mr. Mertz has recently rejected the 9th dan given to him by the USMA and has dropped down to a 6th dan which was given to him by Masayuki Azato. He's really trying to be on the up and up, but for some reason jerks on these forums don't seem to see that.

I trained with Mr. Mertz for over 2 years, and I have to say in that time I learned more that I ever thought was possible. I was taught and worked on over 70 different kata in his karate class. When I was a student of his for the military class it wasn't karate as much. More escapes and how and where to strike people. It was highly educational and I picked up a lot from it.

Tomo

#209554 - 03/20/06 03:47 PM Re: Ohan, paiku and pachu kata (ryuei-ryu) video clips [Re: SaishuRyu]
cxt Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: USA
SaishuRyu

Without putting words into other peoples mouths, I think what folks are getting at is that kata are pretty specifc as to "how" they are done in given style.

I could learn the sequence of say Shotokan's version of Bassi-dai in a couple of hours, but being a Goju person all my techniques/stances/movement etc would be driven by the methodolgy of goju--not shotokan.

If I then taught you the kata I learned, you would be getting a goju persons version of a Shotokan kata, which means that you will be missing stuff, maybe a little maybe a lot.

Another thing to consider is the level of the person that teachs you, I can learn the gross movements and kata from tapes, BUT, I miss A LOT of the important stuff that way.

Which is a long way of asking just how much training the person in question has had with a given kata and under whose instruction to learn them.

I don't think people are questioning his skills--just where, when and how he learned the kata and how long he practiced them under whose watchful eye?

That kind of thing.

Edited by cxt (03/20/06 04:41 PM)

#209555 - 03/22/06 11:05 AM Re: Ohan, paiku and pachu kata (ryuei-ryu) video clips [Re: Ed_Morris]
SaishuRyu Offline
Banned Member

Quote:

he admittedly only 'dabbled' in Ryuei Ryu...yet he knows the most advanced kata of the system?

also he claims that he had to use his MA in combat in Iraq. He blended Shotokan and Judo.

Ed, you know he's going to be in Boston on the 1st of April. Maybe if you think he is so full of BS you should go check out his seminar. You seem to be all talk, so how about you go and put your money where your mouth is. BTW, his seminar is free.

Tomo

#209556 - 03/22/06 11:23 AM Re: Ohan, paiku and pachu kata (ryuei-ryu) video clips [Re: SaishuRyu]
cxt Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: USA
Sai

Ok, since you decided to vent your spleen at Ed rather than address my post--which I know you saw and I know you read.

And seeing as how you have appointed yourself the "answer man" for the person in question.

Why don't you provide the answers to the direct questions I asked???

Don't know the answers?

Then please do some basic reseach prior to getting nasty.

If you don't know the answers, you should not be posting such "nasty grams."

Legit questions have been asked, legit points have been raised.

Neither can be delt with by having an e-fit.

Edited by cxt (03/22/06 03:58 PM)

#209557 - 03/22/06 02:21 PM Re: Ohan, paiku and pachu kata (ryuei-ryu) video clips [Re: SaishuRyu]
Victor Smith Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Derry, NH
Saishiryu,

I understand you believe in your friend/instructor/mentor and his history. I think you have to take it another step and look at why other opinions question his choices.

First all systems and groups are not created equal. It is unfair if you join a group and don't find what you're looking for. But after a few bad choices, there is the potential that the problem may be in the manner of choice and not just the groups in question.

The question of course is does those experiences justify creating another system?

Or one was in Iraq. Well I have had students I've trained in both Iraq wars. Their experiences didn't lead them to create a new system. Sounds like your friend had a horrible time that he had to find something new by joining a few sorts of training. I hope it's working for him, truly.

But many of us have trained in multiple systems (including multiple ranks on occassion) and didn't find a need to create a new system in the process.

The truth is in a minute I can find hundreds of created systems, all with similar histories. I've seen the products of many of them, and I truly hope your friends system is as good as you suggest. Most I've seen were rather a waste of time, from my persepective.

Understand our exasperation with continuing similar stories.

One of my instructors, whose father trained with Funakoshi in Japan in the 1930's, teaches a blend of Shotokan, Siliat/Tjimande, Aikdio and Kobudo, but they didn't create a new system. Their Shotokan is just Shotokan, just from their family perspective. And his father fought against the Japanese in Indonesia through WWII, often using the arts he studied in Japan.

If your freind's style has merit let's discuss it in say 50 or 60 years when the real proof exists. That future generations find a reason to keep it going and not mutate it into something else.

I wish you friends clinic a success in Boston on 04/01, but teaching my own classes in NH takes precedence.

BTW his site isn't working either.

Pleasantly,

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga