FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 31 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jwwmantis 2
Beefcake 1
LeroyCFischer 1
futsaowingchun 1
Zombie Zero 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35591 Topics
432526 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#198940 - 10/30/05 10:05 AM How is judo effective? Serious question.
moosulman Offline

I've heard many things like "judo is just sport".

But I've also heard that it's effective in a fight. How so? How would judo serve you well in a fight? Would throwing someone actually hurt them?

Is it really effective?

#198941 - 10/30/05 10:16 AM Re: How is judo effective? Serious question. [Re: moosulman]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Judo can be very effective. It is trained in an enviroment where the opponents are constantly trying to resist your techniques, so Judo folks have a very good idea how to apply the techniques for real.

Do you think being thrown on your head on a sidewalk or a street would hurt? Or even just slammed down on your back?

#198942 - 10/30/05 10:57 AM Re: How is judo effective? Serious question. [Re: MattJ]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
Matt is right! Being thrown can suck. If the guy understands joint locks, he can throw you and catch you in a submission VERY quickly. Many times after being thrown, you have about a second and a half to two seconds where the guy is stunned after being thrown where you can quickly catch him in a submission if you are good.

Like anything else, it depends on how skilled the judoka is and how he has trained. Not all judo guys train for "sport". Knowing the differences between "art" and "sport" will serve you well.

So to answer your question, yes, judo "can" be very effective if YOU are effective at judo!

-John

#198943 - 10/30/05 11:07 AM Re: How is judo effective? Serious question. [Re: moosulman]
butterfly Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Torrance, CA
Moosulman,

I remember years ago watching CNN where a small group (2-3 individuals) attacked a former Olympic Team Judoka in a small convenience store he owned in New York.

The funniest thing that I remember is that the owner of the store refused an interview, but they did show one of the attackers on an ambulance gurny being shoved in the back of the ambulance.

I still smile at that.

And, OK, my experience: I was instructed by a fourth dan BB in judo. He won a BJJ tournament, heavy weight BB division in Dominguez Hills, CA. I believe it was 2002.

I have seen him manhandle purple belts and brown belts in BJJ. I have also known him to loose by points in another BJJ tournament at BB level. But no one is perfect.

All, I am saying is that the guy was good. Doesn't mean every Judoka is going to be that good, but that to dismiss outright all of Judo is foolish.

Judo can be phenomenal. I like it, don't practice it now, but I try not underestimate it....and never dismiss it for real, self-defense use.

-B

#198944 - 10/30/05 11:32 AM Re: How is judo effective? Serious question. [Re: butterfly]
moosulman Offline

Is sport judo effective too?

#198945 - 10/30/05 12:02 PM Re: How is judo effective? Serious question. [Re: moosulman]
butterfly Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Torrance, CA
Moosulman,

I think you are misconstruing application here. There is no difference, for instance, between a sport over-the-shoulder-throw or a defensive over-the-shoulder-throw (ipon sei-o-nage). They are the same.

The difference in training would lie in focus of techniques and ultimately of intent for those techniques. Not in the format in which it is shown or how it is trained.

I would say that if you have some competitive background using these techniques, you would have a better chance of applying these techniques.

This, BTW, would be very different that a sporting environment for a striking art where only controlled techniques and points are alloted and thus the complete utility of a technique comes into question. That, you have to make qualifications for.

A judo throw done well on a resisting opponentn is a judo throw done well, regardless.

-B

#198946 - 10/30/05 03:56 PM Re: How is judo effective? Serious question. [Re: moosulman]
h2whoa Offline

Loc: Fiji
Quote:

I've heard many things like "judo is just sport".

But I've also heard that it's effective in a fight. How so? How would judo serve you well in a fight? Would throwing someone actually hurt them?

Is it really effective?

If you cosider bouncing someones head off the concrete effective, than it is !

*bows repectfully*

#198947 - 10/30/05 05:21 PM Re: How is judo effective? Serious question. [Re: butterfly]
RobNus Offline

Loc: Dublin, Ireland
Quote:

The difference in training would lie in focus of techniques and ultimately of intent for those techniques.

Intent. thats the key. perfect word for it!

#198948 - 10/30/05 05:44 PM Re: How is judo effective? Serious question. [Re: moosulman]
NEAS Offline
Banned Member

Huhmmm,,, Judo could be effective? Poss in some scenarios depending on the ability of the user and the aggressor.
Judo could give a person more experience in the rough and tumble of a street fights if they have little experience. The down fall of judo and some clinching methods is if a person comes up against some one who is sly fast and has high striking ability, head butts fists etc and if only judo has been trained by the defender then judo men can and are wide open. Other problem is that most things in Judo etc are based on the old method of how the Japanese use to dress eg the GI. I also think it depends on a persons ability.

#198949 - 10/30/05 05:53 PM Re: How is judo effective? Serious question. [Re: NEAS]
RobNus Offline

Loc: Dublin, Ireland
Quote:

Other problem is that most things in Judo etc are based on the old method of how the Japanese use to dress eg the GI.

well hopefully if the judo is being taught for self defense, it wont rely on clothes. See here

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, Fletch1, MattJ, Reiki, Taison 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga