FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 39 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn, Ron_Cooley, businns
22902 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 12
cxt 7
trevek 6
JKogas 5
TaekwonDoFan 2
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Iaido movements speed
by TooNice
04/14/14 01:47 PM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Recent Posts
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
Yesterday at 11:35 AM
centerline concepts
by Dobbersky
07/18/14 06:14 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:38 AM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Forget all that health stuff
by TaekwonDoFan
06/29/14 03:18 AM
Forum Stats
22902 Members
36 Forums
35563 Topics
432450 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#153914 - 06/08/05 05:40 PM How do non-profit dojos attract members?
Foolsgold Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Lyon, MI, USA
I'm speaking specifically about schools that don't charge at all, as opposed to schools that charge to cover rent/equipment/etc. Do these schools show up in the yellow pages? I doubt that they advertise much

How many people here attend or run schools without dues, and how would a person find said school?

Per usual, I'm just curious.

#153915 - 06/08/05 08:54 PM Re: How do non-profit dojos attract members? [Re: Foolsgold]
Kintama Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Massachusetts
I'm surprized no one has answered this thread yet

The quick and easy answer is, I don't 100% know. But not knowing for sure doesn't mean I can't have an opinion.

I have to generalize to answer...
First, it's usually individuals not 'schools' who teach for no money. minimum-profit schools charging operating costs are all over, some advertise, some only have a website, many just have a sign outside. word of mouth gets you to the teachers who teach privately. many have their own policies -a typical one being, if you don't like their policy, then leave. lol Most private teachers don't accept kids (less than 17). some have a pre-shodan requirement. (ie won't teach beginners). some only teach weapons, some never.

specific case:
The current school I'm at is a first I've seen that is operated by 2 equal skilled sensei which work full time elsewhere and alternate teaching...it's a great setup and allows them to have the dojo open every day of the week. The rates per month (not per class), no contract policy, and giving keys at green belt level tells me it is non-profit and as enjoyment. very practicle solution, but most teachers are so independant on how to run things, that the differences would end up as arguement. They allow each other to teach as individuls, while keeping to the style's framework and spirit. Their personality and easy going way are the main reason for attracting and keeping members. word of mouth gets them about 1 new student every 3-6 months or so. with a total class size of about 25... and an average class size on any particular night of about 10.

There are Sensei that can give more solid reasoning without guess or generalizing like I have...also ther are some members here that have done quite a bit of homework to find what they were looking for. hope they answer your thread

#153916 - 06/08/05 09:16 PM Re: How do non-profit dojos attract members? [Re: Foolsgold]
guitarguy420 Offline

Well when i lived in Arizona the person that taught me taekwondo didnt teach in a school he taught by himself for free in a church.It was a big church though so you wouldnt bother the other people.The only thing i could say is ask your parents if they know anybody or if there friends know anyone.Thats how i got into tkd for a while.

#153917 - 06/08/05 09:49 PM Re: How do non-profit dojos attract members? [Re: Foolsgold]
KiDoHae Offline
Former Moderator

Quote:

I'm speaking specifically about schools that don't charge at all, as opposed to schools that charge to cover rent/equipment/etc. Do these schools show up in the yellow pages? I doubt that they advertise much

How many people here attend or run schools without dues, and how would a person find said school?

Per usual, I'm just curious.

I'm proud to say I've been associated with such a school for several years.

The web site is self-explanatory. (for what it's worth I wrote most of the verbiage that is on the site several years ago - though it originally appeared in newsletters, pamphlets, etc.)

In a nut shell, everyone assocaited with running the school is a volunteer. Classes are "free" as you cannot pay for them with money. Every student must complete verfiable community service in exchnage for the instruction they receive. This results in a few thousand hours of comunity service each year. There is no overhead as the local school provides free use of a gym 2 nights a week. There are a few modest fund raising events to cover insurance costs. On occassion the dojo has also recieved some grant funding (I wrote a few grant proposals myself). It is a very admirable undertaking. If that isn't enough the instruction is quite good.

Check out the "Service" and "About us" sections.

Try this:

http://www.flanaganj.com/teryudojo/te_ryu_dojo_home.php

(best I can do)

Edited by KiDoHae (06/08/05 10:26 PM)

#153918 - 06/08/05 10:50 PM Re: How do non-profit dojos attract members? [Re: KiDoHae]
BuDoc Offline
The doctor will see you now

Loc: USA and Abroad
One thing to remember is that non-profit does not necessarily mean that practioners don't pay dues.

I currently teach in my own dojo completely free of any money exchange. I foot any bill that incurs.

I am looking to start a large dojo with a group. This will also be non-profit, however there will be student costs.

Non-profit simply means that after the expenses are paid, there is no money left over.

We as owners will take no money. However there is still a light bill, H2o,trash pick up, paying a secretary,phone bills,advertising,etc.

Once all the bills are paid any residual(doubtful) either goes directly into improvement,add on service or some type of charitable contribution.

So you can see that a dojo can be non-profit and still charge fees. The difference is no individual is making the extra money.

Page

#153919 - 06/08/05 11:22 PM Re: How do non-profit dojos attract members? [Re: BuDoc]
Kintama Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Massachusetts
correct BuDoc, thats how I think of it too. I have to remember to be clear about that.
I like round number examples:
A dojo with op costs (rent&utils) of $1000 per month, with a reasonable per student rate of $50/mo, needs 20 students to operate at cost.

p.s. (a dig to another thread) It's not like teachers need a whole software package to figure that out.

#153920 - 06/09/05 12:08 AM Re: How do non-profit dojos attract members? [Re: Foolsgold]
SANCHIN31 Offline
Former Moderator

Loc: Arkansas, U.S.
Our school doesn't charge,but it's geared towards adults and is physically demanding.Alot of full contact etc...
We've never had to advertise,word of mouth seems to work pretty good.
How would someone find it? I really don't know,you'd just have to know someone in the school.

#153921 - 06/09/05 11:44 AM Re: How do non-profit dojos attract members? [Re: SANCHIN31]
QuietGal Offline

Loc: Missouri
Our school is non-profit, but yes, we pay dues ($55 for adults per month). The money colleted helps to play the rent/water/electricty. Most of the people there joined because of family ties, church ties, or they were in another school or art together at some point. A few (including me) just somehow wandered in. Word of mouth seems to bring people in.

#153922 - 06/09/05 11:59 AM Re: How do non-profit dojos attract members? [Re: QuietGal]
Pess Offline

I just sort of found my school. It is for profit, but not much. On Saturday, there are two classes, 12 dollars each. Thankfully, we don't have to pay for rent, water or electricity. We have class in a parking lot ^_^

#153923 - 06/09/05 01:25 PM Re: How do non-profit dojos attract members? [Re: Pess]
Victor Smith Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Derry, NH
How do non-profit dojo's attract members? Mostly through word of mouth. Assuming the school want's to attract members.

Teaching for free at the Boys and Girls Club for 26 years, and keeping to an older small group tradition, I only allow 25 members in the youth program, and unless class size dwindles don't take non new students. For the past 10 or so years we average taking on new students once a year. In fact I took on 9 new kids last September and they're all still with us.

The adult program (21 yrs old now) is even smaller. Havn't had a new member for 6 years, everyone's been training 15+ years. Not looking for or discouraging anyone, just almost nobody knows we exist. Almost all the adult members came from parents who were interested, or a few outside dan's looking for the training we offer.

Again keeping to older standards, we normally have 2 or 3 instructors on the floor covering 50 to 70 years experience in the arts.

Non-profit schools I've seen drawn members from 1) location such as being held in a church basement 2) word of mouth, friends telling friends.

Non-profit schools must still be fiscially prudent. The owner should not be paying for the training of others. In my case the program sustains itself by association.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga