FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 30 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LeroyCFischer, JadeKing, Beefcake, WesJones, simonajones111
22933 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
charlie 2
futsaowingchun 2
GojuRyuboy13 1
Zombie Zero 1
harlan 1
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
New Topics
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
MA style video library
by
03/22/06 03:18 PM
Recent Posts
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
MA style video library
by charlie
11/11/14 04:05 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/29/14 10:01 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
Forum Stats
22933 Members
36 Forums
35589 Topics
432521 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#138752 - 05/05/05 03:10 PM How many techniques do you KNOW?
SANCHIN31 Offline
Former Moderator

Loc: Arkansas, U.S.
After years of martial arts soon we will find out that the techniques we're shown can be overwhelming, as in too many.Most people I know even after 20-30 years only KNOW a handful. They can show you how to do several hundred no doubt,but how many can they actually apply against a resisting opponent? I've been doing Goju for close to 15yrs now and I've never fought with anyone,no matter how experienced,who doesn't just do the same techniques over and again and make them work.Anyone have another take on this?

#138753 - 05/05/05 03:23 PM Re: How many techniques do you KNOW? [Re: SANCHIN31]
Xibalba Offline

Loc: Lansing, MI, USA
Sanchin31, I would have to completely agree.

After 19yrs of MA, I can count on one hand the techniques you will most likely see out of me in a sparring match (even including grappling):

1. backfist
2. sidekick and/or roundkick
3. reverse punch
4. rear naked choke
5. gi choke from the guard

Granted, I kind of cheated and combined two kicks in number 2 , but to the point, I think your observation is right on the money. I also think that experienced MAists not only tend to use the same techniques repeatedly when fighting, but when they do add some variety, it is most often merely a subtle variation of their favorite basic techniques.

This reminds me about a recent thread by MAGr (I believe) re: practicing basics. I think this is why most smart MAists practice LOTS of basics - not only are they the building blocks for other techniques, but because of their simplicity they tend to be the most effective.

Thanks for sharing this - like usual with your threads, this is a thought-provoker.

Mike

#138754 - 05/05/05 03:32 PM Re: How many techniques do you KNOW? [Re: Xibalba]
Mu Ryuk Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: California, U.S.A.
Hands:

Jab
Cross
Hook (mainly lead)
Overhand
Elbows

Feet:
Roundhouse Kick (legs or ribs, usually won't go to the head in a real situaion)
Front Kick
Knees (in the Clinch)

Grappling:
Guillotine Choke
Rear Naked Choke
Transitions to Mount
Transitions to Knee Ride

#138755 - 05/05/05 03:45 PM Re: How many techniques do you KNOW? [Re: SANCHIN31]
butterfly Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Torrance, CA
Sanchin,
I agree too. The things that I think many people forget, especially if they try to fold other techniques or martial arts into their experience, is that conceptually they will have to fit with models of movement that they know and understand. A huge number of techniques that do not flow from a conceptual model that the individual is familiar with will be a disservice to the individual. So, choosing what fits limits techniques...however, if you have the conceptual models to work from, then techniques spring from them and there are many that are variations on basic movements. But all are foundationally built out of a particular system's basics and an idea how to move that is presented to the martial artist within his or her style.

The second thing to remember, that the martial artist's physical makeup also pushes the performance of techniques. The techniques have their own validity within themselves, the performer, however, may not be able to utilize certain things becuase of lack of flexibility or other physical constraints. This again doesn't make the technique bad, but does limit the use of certain techniques to a particular person. This also constrains the technical diversity per individual.

So you have basics and a few tried and true weapons and variations of these.

-B

#138756 - 05/05/05 05:14 PM Re: How many techniques do you KNOW? [Re: SANCHIN31]
DullBlade42 Offline
Uber-Cool Shindig Host

Loc: Long York, New Island
To really know a technique takes a lot of practice. You have to be able to do it in your sleep. Most people, sadly, don't take enough time out to practice the techniques they've been shown. Their instructor shows them one thing and they say, "Alright, I did that three times, what's next?" They end up leaving class learning nothing.

Good post Sanchin.

#138757 - 05/05/05 05:35 PM Re: How many techniques do you KNOW? [Re: DullBlade42]
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

Loc: Salem, OR
To REALLY be effective you cant have hundreds of techniques. Your techniques have to be instinct, part of muscle memory so you dont waste time thinking about them in a fight(I know because I do that all the time), it has be instantaneous and for that each technique must be trained literally thousands of times, and also if you do that for example, several defenses for a punch their all going to interphere with each other and you'll get fuddled up, that also happens to me alot. This is why military systems have so few and so simple of techniques.
Member of DaJoGen MMA school under Dave Hagen and Team Chaos fight team under Denver Mangiyatan and Chris Toquero, ran out of Zanshin Martial Arts in Salem Oregon: http://www.zanshinarts.org/Home.aspx,

#138758 - 05/05/05 05:44 PM Re: How many techniques do you KNOW? [Re: Xibalba]
Leo_E_49 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: California
I know the following pretty well:

Jab
Side kick
Back kick
Inward crescent elbow strike

That's about it, I've been told that my straight-arm-lock is good but I've not tried it against a resisting opponent and it's easy to counter (just starting grappling).

#138759 - 05/05/05 05:51 PM Re: How many techniques do you KNOW? [Re: butterfly]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
I....but...techniques.....

*cold stare at butterfly*

Curses, man. You said what I was going to say.

I think that most MA folk over time tend to whittle down their technique list to the few reliable moves that they know. You make up for it by being able to use them from different angles or different situations entirely.

While I have increased my technical repetoire some in the last 10 years, my list is still pretty short.

#138760 - 05/05/05 05:57 PM Re: How many techniques do you KNOW? [Re: SANCHIN31]
Leo_E_49 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: California
In terms of striking here's the list I'd like to know:

Jab
Cross
Hook
Knee (MT Style)
Inward crescent elbow
Side kick

I don't know enough about grappling yet to be able to make a list for it but I'd love to be good at hip-throw (O-Goshi Nage?).

#138761 - 05/05/05 06:24 PM Re: How many techniques do you KNOW? [Re: SANCHIN31]
Diga Offline

Loc: Hoodsport, Washington
Everyone so far has said it pretty well.
Over the years I have been taught so many techniques I can't even name them all now.
In the end it is not how many you learn it is how many you can use.
One technique - if it is truely ingrained in your body and mind can be used in many ways.
If you learn a few very well it is better than knowing hundreds just a little bit.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga