FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 27 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LeroyCFischer, JadeKing, Beefcake, WesJones, simonajones111
22933 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 2
charlie 2
Zombie Zero 1
harlan 1
Matakiant 1
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
New Topics
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
MA style video library
by
03/22/06 03:18 PM
Recent Posts
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
MA style video library
by charlie
11/11/14 04:05 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/29/14 10:01 PM
Forum Stats
22933 Members
36 Forums
35589 Topics
432521 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 5 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 12 >
Topic Options
#156870 - 06/28/05 02:50 AM Re: Does age matter [Re: SANCHIN31]
Bullfrog Offline

Loc: Wellington, New Zealand
Sanchin, if you assert that someone needs 10 years as a black belt before they teach then thats fine, its the way he came to the same conclusion that teenagers shouldn't teach which bugs me.

He implied that teenagers shouldn't teach because of a lack of maturity, not a lack of experience.

Edited by Bullfrog (06/28/05 03:16 AM)

#156871 - 06/28/05 03:22 AM Re: Does age matter [Re: Bullfrog]
SANCHIN31 Offline
Former Moderator

Loc: Arkansas, U.S.
Quote:

Sanchin, if you assert that someone needs 10 years as a black belt before they teach then thats fine, its the way he came to the same conclusion that teenagers shouldn't teach which bugs me.

He implied that teenagers shouldn't teach because of a lack of maturity, not a lack of experience.

Ahhhhhhh.You must be a teenager. It's definitely experience to me.A teenager can't possibly have enough IMHO.

#156872 - 06/28/05 03:50 AM Re: Does age matter [Re: Bullfrog]
Bushi_no_ki Offline
Veteran

Loc: POM, Monterey CA
Bullfrog, first off, I'm sorry about firing off an attack like that at you. You're not the first person I've had to apologize to like this in the last month, and I'm sure you won't be the last.

There are limits to the maturity that a teenager can have. The teenager forced to work a fulltime job while attending school full time will be more mature than other teachers, but there will be a limit to that maturity, as he/she will not be able to finish childhood. Also, that is the type of person who wouldn't have the time for MA training.

On the other hand, the teenager that gets to enjoy high school, and be a teenager, wouldn't be any where near as mature in the beginning, but would likely surpass the maturity level of the working teen after HS, and would have the time to train in MA. And, refer to my earlier post about who can handle what kind of teaching. A 19 year old girl running a day care center is quite common. So what if it's a glorified day care center that teaches something that looks martial. Different situations require different levels of maturity and experience.

#156873 - 06/28/05 05:19 AM Re: Does age matter [Re: Bushi_no_ki]
Bullfrog Offline

I'm guessing we will just have to stick with a difference of oppinions here, but thanks for the apology. I've stated my reasons, and I guess that will have to be where its left.

Actually, i'm not a teenager, but, like many I was one.

#156874 - 06/28/05 06:14 AM Re: Does age matter [Re: Bullfrog]
MAGr Offline
Veteran

Loc: London, home: Athens
Quote:

You are saying NO teenagers are mature. Not enough to teach? Then I guess I shouldn't have been running tutorials and marking at university for the last two years

Were you a teenager when you were running tutorials? I would not have attended a university where the teacher was a teenager thats for damn sure! And marking is slightly different isnt it?

I said that teenagers can be mature for their age, but that does not make them mature in a wholistic sense. Experienced is linked with maturity, you gain maturity through experience, that is a very well know and argued point of phsychology which however much you try will reamin true.

Quote:

If it is as you say a fact, then there will be no single instance where what you say is wrong

OK you got me mister there may be one excption to the rule! *roll eyes*

Quote:

So what you are saying if there where two identical instructors one who was 22 and one who was 55, both exactally the same skills and teaching ability at martial arts, you would pick the older one

Why are you not trying to understand what I am saying, and why are you reading what you want? Someone who is 22 is first of all not a teenager. Second of all, obviously they are not going to have the same teaching ability THATS MY POINT FOR GODS SAKE!! I am saying that the 55 year old will, by the time he reaches 55
1.be more mature and able to handle the intricasies of teaching but only because of number 2.
2. have more experience teaching and more experience in MAs

#156875 - 06/28/05 07:01 AM Re: Does age matter [Re: Bullfrog]
still wadowoman Offline
Improved beefier techno-prat

Loc: Residence:UK- Heart:Md, USA
Quote:

Onto your second point, So what you are saying if there where two identical instructors one who was 22 and one who was 55, both exactally the same skills and teaching ability at martial arts, you would pick the older one. Thats like saying there are a black and a white instructor and i would pick the black one. Or man and a woman and you would pick the man. It's crazy dude.

No it isn't. If the more experienced instructor were purple and a hermaphrodite they would still be the most experienced instructor. Of the two examples you gave, one was based on racism and the other on sexism.

I am quite happy to train under someone younger than me if they have more knowledge and experience than I do. However, given the choice of a good teacher with 10 years experience and a good teacher with 30 years experience, in my book it would make sense to choose the latter. Their colour and sex is wholly irrelevant, their experience and knowledge are not.
Sharon

#156876 - 06/28/05 11:34 AM Re: Does age matter [Re: SANCHIN31]
MN JC Offline

Loc: Coon Rapids, MN USA
Quote:

Bullfrog, You took that out of context.He said that there are teenagers that are mature for their age.How can a teenager that is mature for his age be as mature as a 40yr old who is mature for HIS age?He can't. I would choose the more experienced instructor and most likely find that he/she is older.I think you need a good 10yrs after blackbelt to be a head instructor,that would make someone much more than a teenager.

Sanchin- That is probally the best I have ever seen it put! I agree!

#156877 - 06/29/05 10:40 AM Re: Does age matter [Re: still wadowoman]
Bullfrog Offline

Quote:

However, given the choice of a good teacher with 10 years experience and a good teacher with 30 years experience, in my book it would make sense to choose the latter

In my example both had been learning martial arts for the same time. Magr would have to choose the older one because of what he has said. All im trying to say is that age does not equal experience. If the ONLY factor is age, then magr would pick the older one. I am trying to point out a difference between age and experience.

Quote:

Were you a teenager when you were running tutorials? I would not have attended a university where the teacher was a teenager thats for damn sure! And marking is slightly different isnt it

Yes, I was. This was last 2 years, (I was 18 and 19 in those) and I took classes of 20 people for an hour. I'm sorry that you would have not attended university if your tutor was a teenager. However i'm damn good at what I do, and if you would rather have an older tutor who knew less then thats your call I guess...

Edited by Bullfrog (06/29/05 10:45 AM)

#156878 - 06/29/05 02:06 PM Re: Does age matter [Re: Bullfrog]
MN JC Offline

Loc: Coon Rapids, MN USA
Quote:

Quote:

However, given the choice of a good teacher with 10 years experience and a good teacher with 30 years experience, in my book it would make sense to choose the latter

In my example both had been learning martial arts for the same time. Magr would have to choose the older one because of what he has said. All im trying to say is that age does not equal experience. If the ONLY factor is age, then magr would pick the older one. I am trying to point out a difference between age and experience.

You are forgetting about maturity. In many, not all cases age does correlate to maturity. An immature teacher is not one I would want.

Quote:

Were you a teenager when you were running tutorials? I would not have attended a university where the teacher was a teenager thats for damn sure! And marking is slightly different isnt it

Yes, I was. This was last 2 years, (I was 18 and 19 in those) and I took classes of 20 people for an hour. I'm sorry that you would have not attended university if your tutor was a teenager. However i'm damn good at what I do, and if you would rather have an older tutor who knew less then thats your call I guess...

You are making the assumption that an older tutor would know less than you. Making assumptions is not a good thing to do. I think this last statement of yours kind of helps with what Magr is saying. Older in many instatnces is better. Often a teenager does not have the knowledge needed to teach. Teaching is much more than just knowledge of the subject matter. You need to know how to get it across.

#156879 - 06/29/05 07:10 PM Re: Does age matter [Re: MN JC]
Bullfrog Offline

I never claimed to know to know more than an older tutor. (Many of the tutors at my uni are amazing, I have a whole lot to learn from them). I was simply saying that if he had the option to pick a tutor I am saddeded that had he the choice between me and one less qualified but older he would pick the older one.

Quote:

Often a teenager does not have the knowledge needed to teach. Teaching is much more than just knowledge of the subject matter. You need to know how to get it across.

If you read my previous posts this is the MAIN thing I have been stressing. Surely you can see that right?

I mean my posts must not be that convoluted that I havn't got that across are they? If so I guess I should understand the confusion. I will try say it again.

If you read my posts and understand what I have been trying to say, you will see I advocate that age does not matter, not that I am somehow better because I am younger.

Did you really think I meant to say I was better than any older tutor? I mean seriously? I'm not about to shoot myself in the foot by taking the opposide stance and start saying age DOES matter. I'm trying to claim it's experience of the subject and teaching which does, NOT age.

Edited by Bullfrog (06/29/05 07:19 PM)

Page 5 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 12 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, tkd_high_green 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga