FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 19 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LeroyCFischer, JadeKing, Beefcake, WesJones, simonajones111
22933 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 2
charlie 2
William_Bent 1
simonajones111 1
GojuRyuboy13 1
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
New Topics
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
MA style video library
by
03/22/06 03:18 PM
Recent Posts
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
MA style video library
by charlie
11/11/14 04:05 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/29/14 10:01 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Forum Stats
22933 Members
36 Forums
35589 Topics
432521 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 6 of 12 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11 12 >
Topic Options
#156880 - 06/29/05 08:28 PM Re: Does age matter [Re: MN JC]
Bushi_no_ki Offline
Veteran

Loc: POM, Monterey CA
There is actually quite a bit of difference between tutoring and teaching. It's the same as having a 19 year old BB who helps instruct classes, but is under supervision. The university level tutor is required to maintain a minimum GPA (usually 3.0+), is not imparting new information, is only covering information already covered in a class by a professor/teacher, and is dealing with people on a more personal level, which a teenager would have an adavantage with in this situation, being better able to communicate the information to their peers.

#156881 - 06/29/05 08:44 PM Re: Does age matter [Re: Bushi_no_ki]
Bullfrog Offline

Loc: Wellington, New Zealand
I totally agree. I was just defending the claim made my magr that I shouldn't be doing it.

However you han become a highschool teacher if you have done a teaching degree. There are no age restrictions on how old you must be when you graduate.

#156882 - 06/30/05 05:44 AM Re: Does age matter [Re: Bullfrog]
MAGr Offline
Veteran

Loc: London, home: Athens
Experience comes with age and maturity comes with age. Time IS a factor when it comes to experience, usually the older you are the more experienced your are. And the older you are the more mature you are.
There is no point in arguing would I choose someone older with less experience. My arguement is that someone older will have USUALLY more experience. And certainly in the world of MA age matters!

Quote:

I never claimed to know to know more than an older tutor. (Many of the tutors at my uni are amazing, I have a whole lot to learn from them). I was simply saying that if he had the option to pick a tutor I am saddeded that had he the choice between me and one less qualified but older he would pick the older one.

Why? You just said that they are amazing, why would I choose to do lessons with you if I had the option of someone "amazing". And you said you have a lot to learn from them, well then why would I choose you? Get my point? You are saying if this, if that.
In the real world, older people in ANY profession are more experienced and more mature and just plain better.

#156883 - 06/30/05 06:05 AM Re: Does age matter [Re: Bullfrog]
still wadowoman Offline
Improved beefier techno-prat

Loc: Residence:UK- Heart:Md, USA
Quote:

I totally agree. I was just defending the claim made my magr that I shouldn't be doing it.

However you han become a highschool teacher if you have done a teaching degree. There are no age restrictions on how old you must be when you graduate.

True. But it is unlikely that someone would finish their degree as a teenager. In the UK, to teach primary (grade school) you have to do A levels which you finish at 18, then you go to uni for 3 years to get a BA, then you do a post grad course for a year or two. This means you would be at least 22 or 23 before you begin teaching. I think to teach secondary (high school) you study even longer. So technicaly, there is a minimum age.

To be head of a department (English for example) you have to be teaching for many years.
Sharon

#156884 - 06/30/05 01:11 PM Re: Does age matter [Re: Bushi_no_ki]
knightcommander Offline

Loc: Australia
I agree. To become a teacher, you should have experience. Which comes with age.

#156885 - 06/30/05 04:19 PM Re: Does age matter [Re: knightcommander]
MN JC Offline

Loc: Coon Rapids, MN USA
Amen to that!

#156886 - 06/30/05 06:38 PM Re: Does age matter [Re: MN JC]
Bushi_no_ki Offline
Veteran

Loc: POM, Monterey CA
So we've resolved that the question isn't so much "how old you have to be to start teaching", but is more "what kind of teaching can someone do at a certain age".

#156887 - 07/01/05 05:10 AM Re: Does age matter [Re: MAGr]
Bullfrog Offline

Loc: Wellington, New Zealand
Quote:

Why? You just said that they are amazing, why would I choose to do lessons with you if I had the option of someone "amazing". And you said you have a lot to learn from them, well then why would I choose you? Get my point? You are saying if this, if that.
In the real world, older people in ANY profession are more experienced and more mature and just plain better.

Many of them are amazing, yes. They know things I don't, and I know things they don't, but we are all good at teaching specifically what we where hired to teach. The reason I am saddened, as I will claim, as I have before over and over, that you would pick one on them JUST because of them being older.

Again, you claim that the older that you are, the more mature you are. It has NOTHING to do with age. A 12 year old in Afganistan who has been forced into the military and forced to make heavy decisions about life and death will be a lot more mature than a 16 year old who had been chilling along in high school.

Sharon, you are right and I agree it is unlikely, but the jist of my argument is not really to debate the age of standard high school teachers. It is to claim that it is experience and maturity which are important with teaching, not age. Surely you must agree with that right? I'll admit that often the two go hand in hand but that does not make them the same thing, right?

Does everyone who's posting on this topic agree with magr's claim that

Quote:

REALLY curious about the answer to that one.

Edited by Bullfrog (07/01/05 05:15 AM)

#156888 - 07/01/05 05:33 AM Re: Does age matter [Re: Bullfrog]
still wadowoman Offline
Improved beefier techno-prat

Loc: Residence:UK- Heart:Md, USA
Bullfrog,

I agree that age is not the same thing as experience. A 25 year old with 8 years MA training will have more experience than a 50 year old who has had two lessons. I can see what you are getting at.

However, most usually the older instructor would be the most experienced and that would be why I would pick him.
Sharon

#156889 - 07/01/05 07:44 AM Re: Does age matter [Re: MAGr]
glad2bhere Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Lindenhurst, Illinois USA
Dear MA Gr:

If you are viewing MA as nothing more than Phys Ed than it won't matter how old the person doing the instructing or coaching is. If you want to talk about "teaching" you step into a completely different area.

Westerners have typically viewed teaching as a kind of second-class career whose routes have historically started at mothers' knee with the family Bible or with the loccal old-maid who needed income. I remember kids at the University where I attended saying that if they couldn't get a "real" job they could "always teach". In Asian cultures the position of teacher carries considerable value both for the person as an individual and in the community. Quite recently I was in Korea for an intensive and the deportment of my training partners changed noticeably when they learned that I had a Masters'. Certainly here in the States that would probably mean little, but there is was regarded as VERY meaningful.

I share all of this because for many of we traditionalist a "teacher" is not just a coach or an instructor. A teacher is a person who is capable of mentoring and demonstrating by their deportment how the values of the kwan or art are expressed in the community experience and not just in the dochang. Until most people are well into their 30-s there is not a whole lot to recommend them as teachers regarding modeling how the principles of the art they purport to teach can be applied in problem-solving of daily life. A young instructor who is very "brave" on the school floor sparring may quake at the very thought of standing up for a principle that is right, but not popular with his friends. A person who is very careful about details of his hyung may be very sloppy and neglectful when he is at work. How can these people truely be called "teachers"? Age does not NEED to be a factor, but all too often it is. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Page 6 of 12 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11 12 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, tkd_high_green 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga