FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 51 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
royal 2
Dobbersky 2
MattJ 2
UKfightfreak 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10 11 >
Topic Options
#155602 - 06/15/05 04:31 PM Re: What is the most effective kick for the streets? [Re: MAGr]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
I would never say i got it sussed it has worked for me, it does hurt and i havent fallen/been grabbed trying it. If it misses you can still use the momentum to get in grabbing/clinch range, but like anything it can go tits up very easily

#155603 - 06/16/05 12:30 AM Re: What is the most effective kick for the streets? [Re: Neko456]
Leo_E_49 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: California
Quote:

Leo_49 wrote - Probably best to leave out kicks alltogether.

Why leave the shotgun in the squad car? Kicking is an art just like anyother part, if the chance to end a situation comes up you should be able to take advantage. Kicking at a distance is risky but powerful, when a guy thinks he gonna catch your leg and you change up, you can score a KO. I've ended multiple attacks by side kicking their leader into a ground fetal position. They usually dragged him away and leave.

I also find it instinctive to chop kick a guy after punching his nose or eye, or staggering him anykind of way. Its just so hard to defend and its unexpected that while recovering from a stunning eye watering strike that their legs are chopped out from under them, they are limping or they crumble to the ground holding their knee. Its really better for their legs that the kick upends them, so the knees or thigh don't take the full force of the kick.

More realistic then the Hollywood Gun blowing people through doors r windows the kick can do it.

I also have KO'd guys that, bent over WAITING for a groin kick, only to be flipped or dropped by shin kick to the head, over his shoulder or heel kick to the temple. I won't do it unless its just right, you know it. When you raise the front leg and their hands reach for it and they kind of close their eyes or their wide eyed & tunnel visioned. BINGO!! Lights out.

Using your entire arsenal makes you doubling effective.

I said "probably". Kicks are risky, like you said. If you aren't really good at them and haven't already stunned your assailant then it's easy to miss and the recovery time could be the end of you. Besides, if you've already stunned the opponent, why the hell are you still there? Finishing moves are for comic books and video games, escape should be the aim of any SD routine.

#155604 - 06/16/05 08:23 AM Re: What is the most effective kick for the streets? [Re: Leo_E_49]
madfrank Offline

Loc: UK
Hi all

Kicks, especially head kicks, are for competitions and the movies.

Anyone who says otherwise has never been in a fight.

95% of fights happen at bad breath distance.

Get real guys

MF

#155605 - 06/16/05 09:12 AM Re: What is the most effective kick for the streets? [Re: madfrank]
globetrotter Offline
does unto others before they do unto him

Loc: ny usa
I am the first to agree that fancy and high kicks have no place in a fight, but low kicks, to the knees, shins, ankles, can be very effective. aside from inflicting damage, they can help you regulate the range (be in control of the distance between yourself and the other guy) and they can throw him off balance if he is worried about your legs.

#155606 - 06/16/05 10:59 AM Re: What is the most effective kick for the stree [Re: globetrotter]
Pess Offline

I mainly use three, depending on the situation:

Kick to the groin
Kick to the knee
Scrape kick along the shin down on the foot

Don't really need much else ^_^

#155607 - 06/16/05 11:40 AM Re: What is the most effective kick for the streets? [Re: Leo_E_49]
Neko456 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Midwest City, Ok, USA
Being a MA you train to have great control but few of us can stop in the mist of battle to remember or Question "Am I my brothers keeper". If you are such a person I bow to your great control. But if attack and I hurt him I won't quit until he is in the fetus postion. Then the worst part happens the lecture, they hate that. "What were you trying to do, What If I was as terrible a person as you". Imagine what else I could do to you. Then I turn and run away. But I don't have your control he punches I counter with a deflecting returning leapord paw to his throat, he staggers back and I don't kick him in the balls or elbow him in the face and take down.

We fight the way we train, I can't imagine you easy up after U stagger an attacker either. But as mentioned if you got that kind of control I am envious.

#155608 - 06/16/05 11:46 AM Re: What is the most effective kick for the streets? [Re: madfrank]
Neko456 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Midwest City, Ok, USA
You guys are right but if he's really open for it and it will end the fight, Why not? If you really know how to kick its just a quick flick of the hip to KO him. I agreed that this tactic shouldn't be your main plan of defense or counter, but fighting statistics are hindsights. If the situation can be resolved by a surprise attack use it.

It all goes back to the appropiate tool at the appropiate time/range. The element of surprise works better then statistics, in real fights.

Edited by Neko456 (06/16/05 11:47 AM)

#155609 - 06/16/05 09:02 PM Re: What is the most effective kick for the streets? [Re: Neko456]
BulldogTKD Offline

Quote:

You guys are right but if he's really open for it and it will end the fight, Why not? If you really know how to kick its just a quick flick of the hip to KO him. I agreed that this tactic shouldn't be your main plan of defense or counter, but fighting statistics are hindsights. If the situation can be resolved by a surprise attack use it.

It all goes back to the appropiate tool at the appropiate time/range. The element of surprise works better then statistics, in real fights.

Well said. I still don't understand why some people say high kicks have no place for the street. Does grappeling have a place in the street? Do I take down my attacker and grapple with him not knowing if he has friends around? Point is use the tool you have for the situation! If you think that doing a high kick to the chest or haed will not work in the street then you have never been in a real street fight! If you engauge in street combat, that is what it is you know, then you better be ready to follow through with your defence. Fighting on the street is no game and I don't think some people here realize that. It's not play fighting, it's for real and you fight for real. If you are not ready to do that then you better run, or defuse the situation, that is self defense too you know.

#155610 - 06/17/05 06:14 AM Re: What is the most effective kick for the streets? [Re: BulldogTKD]
Bushi_no_ki Offline
Veteran

Loc: POM, Monterey CA
BulldogTKD, mostly it has to do with the legal issues involved, regardless of whether you have the opening for a high kick. You hit the person in the wrong spot with a kick, you need to be able to justify risking permanent injury/death to the person. A kick to the groin is debilitating for a short while, but is not likely to kill most people. A kick to the head, especially when you need to get out of an area quickly, can be lethal if the guy gets a concussion and no medical treatment. Try convincing a jury that you were only defending yourself against a punch and you killed the guy because you kicked him in the head and then left him for dead.

#155611 - 06/17/05 07:02 AM Re: What is the most effective kick for the stree [Re: Bushi_no_ki]
Gavin Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Southend, Essex, UK
In a real fight, I don't really feel that you have a lot of choice as to what you do it just kinda happens. Your body, with the right training ofcourse, just does the most appropriate thing. My body has done some stuff in the past, that I didn't I'd could do. Think we've all had this experience when sparring. You'll be going about your business trying to land a shot and doing a bit of dodging, them bam, you land a peach of a shot. You can usually tell these sort of shots, coz your partner looks at you as to say "Where the hell did that come from?", and you reply "Dunno, but it was cool though!"

Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10 11 >

Moderator:  Cord, Dedicated1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga