FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 35 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 3
Ronin1966 3
AndyLA 1
Victor Smith 1
GojuRyuboy13 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
10/22/14 07:20 AM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35582 Topics
432510 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#155524 - 06/14/05 11:10 AM Instructors sparring
schanne Offline
breaks things

Loc: Woodbury NJ
My Shihan told me the other day that it is time that I stop sparring with the class and lower black belts. He said there is a point in your life and training that an instructor must seperate himself from the students. He said that it creates more of a mistique about yourself and if I needed to spare that he and I or the other higher ranking BB could get together and work out on our own. New it was coming so it really wasn't a suprise. Question for instructors above fourth dan, how do you guys deal with sparring with your students? Do you spar or just teach?

#155525 - 06/14/05 11:34 AM Re: Instructors sparring [Re: schanne]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
While I am not a 4th degree, I have to say that is about the dumbest thing I have ever heard. There is a 7th degree American kenpo BB on Bullshido that regularly spars people in his school and other schools.

"Mystique"? Is he worried about maintaining the "unbeatable sensei" ideal? Ridiculous. Fanning ego is the beginning of the downfall. Anyone can be beat, anytime.

If you want to spar, go spar. Find a new instructor if he has a problem with it.

Sorry if that came out disrespectful, but that really pisses me off.

#155526 - 06/14/05 11:36 AM Re: Instructors sparring [Re: schanne]
BulldogTKD Offline

I spar to teach. We have have an obligation to teach our students and part of that teaching is to work with them in all aspects of their training. After reaching a certain rank of 5th Dan one should have a lower rank Blackbelts spar with the students and then you still can teach both students.

#155527 - 06/14/05 12:08 PM Re: Instructors sparring [Re: BulldogTKD]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Sorry Bulldog, I disagree completely. Why should you not spar?

#155528 - 06/14/05 12:26 PM Re: Instructors sparring [Re: MattJ]
MAGr Offline
Veteran

Loc: London, home: Athens
I am not an instructor, but my instructor spars with us, he does the push ups with us and he sweats with us. We are not kids to have some mystical impression of him, we know he is human, and the fact that he doesnt tell us to do something that he would not do with us makes us respect him more than he can imagine.
I would actually lose respect if the instructor would not back up what he is saying.

Even when I was really young, and I did judo, my instructor back then still sparred with us (softly) and even then I appreciated his hands on approach.

The only reason an instructor would have for not sparring is because he would be afraid to lose! Only in MAs do people have that mentality. The measure of a teacher is not his a bility to whoop ass, its his ability to teach (fighting, and morals/ethics etc).

Take tennis for example, do you think the top players cant beat their coaches? Of course they can, they would wipe the floor with them, but that is not the point is it??

Of course after a certain age you cant spar for health reasons, but as far as I am concerned fear is a poor excuse.

edit: also I realise that i am not an instructor, and that its not really in my position to speak, but I hope one day to teach, even if its only my kids, but I hope to do it right.
I dont mean any disrespect to the other instructors here, but I though you might want a students opinion also

Edited by MAGr (06/14/05 12:33 PM)

#155529 - 06/14/05 12:33 PM Re: Instructors sparring [Re: schanne]
JoelM Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Georgia, USA
Sparring with the higher rank black belts is a great thing to do. You can learn a lot more sparring against a higher rank than you can a lower rank (IMO). That being said, why should that rule apply only to you as a higher rank and not to the lower ranks? (not an attack on you, just on the idea)
I would rather know that my instructor can hand my ass to me than think that he has mysterious fighting powers that can destroy me, and I do. When I spar him, I'll get some good shots in, but he lets me know that I have a lot to learn and a long way to go.

#155530 - 06/14/05 01:59 PM Re: Instructors sparring [Re: MattJ]
BulldogTKD Offline

Quote:

Sorry Bulldog, I disagree completely. Why should you not spar?

If you have a 5th Dan in class along with jr. Blackbelts then the high rank is best utilized observing and teaching. He or she has more experience and knowledge and can pass that on much easier if they can observe the class as opposed too participating in the sparring matches. 5th Dan sparring colored belts is a waist of valuable teaching time. That higher rank is very intimating to students and they will be hindered by their thinking. But the 5th Dan sparring other Blackbelts is great, but I still feel it is more detrimental to spar colored belts then helpful.

#155531 - 06/14/05 03:40 PM Re: Instructors sparring [Re: BulldogTKD]
MN JC Offline

Loc: Coon Rapids, MN USA
I think it is a good learning experiance, really good for the colored belts. They learn a multitude of things this way, not the least of which are, humility, not to be intimidated and should be able to pick up some good combos.

I understand what you are saying but I think that sparring with a much higher belt can teach you a lot.

I no longer spar with my 7th dan instructor but, that is only because he underwent hip replacement and is no longer able to move his hip that well, but until the surgery he sparred everyone and it really helped many of the lower belts to see that there is a progression and to get them over feeling intimidated.

#155532 - 06/14/05 04:23 PM Re: Instructors sparring [Re: BulldogTKD]
Gavin Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Southend, Essex, UK
Quote:

That higher rank is very intimating to students and they will be hindered by their thinking.

I actually think that the fact that sparring with higher grades is intimidating is a very good thing. Although its not real, sparring still gets students adernaline pumping, puts them under pressure, and they learn how to deal with it. They will have a better understanding of how they will operate once the aderline kicks. Personally, I'd want both myself and my students to experience the pressure and intimidation in the caring enviroment of the dojo, than at the hands of a thug on the street.

I also feel that new students are far better off being paired of against Black Belts when they first start sparring, than lower grades, because of the control aspects. Lower grades just don't simply know how to pull their blows, when higher grades *should*.

#155533 - 06/14/05 04:42 PM Re: Instructors sparring [Re: Gavin]
BulldogTKD Offline

Try looking at it from a teaching point of view. If I spar with my students I can only work with and coach one person at a time. If I observe there sparing then I can work with as many as I need. I can stop two people that might be having problems or just if one is having problems and, I can give better feedback and point them in the right direction. If I can say, Joe, throw that round kick again and Tom you counter. Ok Tom, that was a great block, but instead of blocking this time try to step parry and counter with a front kick or punch, like so. Joe, throw that round kick again, at me this time! Then I demonstrate, watch, Tom and work a bit with him on his timing. If I am sparring my student I can only teach and see so much.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, tkd_high_green 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga