FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 37 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
mohdnabeel, sunny, swordy, jerrybarry24, SenseiGregT
22915 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ed_Morris 4
AndyLA 3
Zombie Zero 2
Matakiant 2
futsaowingchun 2
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
mindfullness meditation
by
01/06/09 11:27 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Eugue Ryu
by
03/27/07 12:06 AM
Recent Posts
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
09/19/14 09:05 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Matakiant
09/18/14 07:11 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
09/18/14 06:07 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
09/16/14 04:43 PM
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/31/14 09:43 PM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Forum Stats
22915 Members
36 Forums
35575 Topics
432495 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#154857 - 06/11/05 03:54 PM Oldman at Borders.
oldman Offline
Professional Poster

Members,
I've just gotten back from Borders where I treated myself to a browse and a pricey cup of coffee, and I have a question for you or may be a series of questions. I find that often just the act of writing or talking things out helps me come to a better understanding of what I'm thinking. I'm a self described ponderer. So much so that just thinking about doing something can be as satisfying as actually doing it.
As there are 24 hours in everyones day we have to decide how to spend our time. Work, play, eat, sleep, relate, serve, we all decide how we will divide up our days and what we would like to accomplish. So here's my question.

I have had a few people urge me to consider writing a book. The whole idea to me sounds a bit, well, crazy. The only way I got through English in school was by getting extra credit points by adding illustrations to any report to distract my teachers from my grammatical errors and lack of content.
My wife has been published and I have seen first hand what goes in to even a small book. People say to her "It must be really fun to be a writer". My wife says to me later " They must have never written anything". I can see it would be a difficult task. I have illustrated books but never wourds and text together. It would be a challenge and could be kind of a cool project similar to the appilcation and bunkai threads I have shared with you. I also have a cd collection of all the martial arts cartoons. The cartoons are easy. A bunkai collection would be like climbing Everest. I mean people do it but why,"because it's there?" So I guess the question would be "Why". I don't really need any additional income which would most likley be modest anyway. I've got more than enough headaches and things to do to keep myself busy. So, help a brother out...."Why".

One the other hand it could be cool to see someone at Borders sitting at a table enjoying a latte a their brand new copy of "The Boobishi" by Oldman.

#154858 - 06/11/05 04:44 PM Re: Oldman at Borders. [Re: oldman]
JoelM Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Georgia, USA
I think that with a bunkai book out there done with cartoons it will appeal to the younger generations more. If a student at the local McDojo sees this book and asks their instructor, "Why don't we practice bunkai, like in here?" and then the instructor says "we don't do that," the kid may have second thoughts about staying at their McDojo and seeking out a real school that teaches these things.

Now I know that teaching bunkai (including locks and throws) to children is sometimes debated as appropriate or not. But if they at least have this in mind for their future learning in a school, I think that they would be more prone to stay and learn.
-That is, for kids who really want to learn the MA, if not they can stay in their McDojos.

Do it for the kids, oldman, think of the kids!!

Plus, it'd be really cool, I know I'd buy a few copies!!!

#154859 - 06/11/05 05:20 PM Re: Oldman at Borders. [Re: JoelM]
oldman Offline
Professional Poster

Joel,
I do have concerns about the kids and quite honestly the adults. Maybe it's just best to let people figure things out themselves. On the other hand there are so many more efficient ways to harm someone. Maybe I could start the first chapter with how to hit people with a baseball bat. After that everything would seem responsible and sensible by comparison and too much work to bother with.

#154860 - 06/11/05 05:47 PM Re: Oldman at Borders. [Re: oldman]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Oldman, you like a project (hoodat, bunk-ai etc) and i think this book idea is itching the back of your brain, you mentioned it in the bunk-ai thread, and now have started a thread on it.
I think you may be asking 'why?', but I say 'why not?'.
Dont know if you are familiar with the graphic novels in 'The Sandman' series by Neil Gaiman, but in the world of Dreams there is a library full of the unwritten books left unrealised by everyone.This always struck me as sad. I think if you have the ability (which you do) and the inclination(?), it could be a great source of joy and satisfaction. Also, as you point out, financial factors are not a concern so you dont have to work to a deadline, little and often. What was your point about saving a dollar a day?(sticky bun financial advice) 1 page a day and in 3 years you got a nice big hardback.

#154861 - 06/11/05 07:15 PM Re: Oldman at Borders. [Re: JoelM]
Hedgehogey Offline

Quote:

I think that with a bunkai book out there done with cartoons it will appeal to the younger generations more. If a student at the local McDojo sees this book and asks their instructor, "Why don't we practice bunkai, like in here?" and then the instructor says "we don't do that," the kid may have second thoughts about staying at their McDojo and seeking out a real school that teaches these things.

Since Dr. Jung has told me that I can either take the role of the shadow or find a new job, I am forced to remind everyone that:

It is entirely possible...

...for a school to do bunkai...

...and still teach...

...bullshido.

[edited]
Hedgehogey, if you can somehow prove to me, in private (ie. not on the forum) how the rest of your post was even remotely relevant to the discussion, then I may let you re-post it.
Otherwise, stay on topic.
-Joel

Edited by JoelM (06/11/05 07:39 PM)

#154862 - 06/11/05 07:29 PM Re: Oldman at Borders. [Re: oldman]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Do it, Oldman. Do it for me. I have a small collection of technically oreinted articles that I envisioned submitting to Black Belt magazine, but for one reason or another they manage to stay just this side of complete.

So if I am doomed to stay in the twilight of half-acheived dreams, at least you can follow through.

Cord also has a very good point in that the "graphic novel" is a well accepted form nowadays, so you need not aim it towards children unless you are so inclined. (This from a long time comic book reader who remembers when "Michael" killed almost all the Avengers! )

I think it would be great, and don't worry about people not using their imaginations. Many won't anyway. Some people will find a spark in the things you might show. I am one of them. Hell, the whole concept of different applications for kata moves is alien to my AKK sensibilities.

So right there the book could be beneficial to some - no matter what you show.

Go ahead.....do it. You have several guaranteed sales, anyway!

#154863 - 06/11/05 07:54 PM Re: Oldman at Borders. [Re: MattJ]
SANCHIN31 Offline
Former Moderator

Loc: Arkansas, U.S.
oldman, I am inspired by many of your posts.I think an entire book would be awesome. Do it! Do it for us,but mostly do it for you!

#154864 - 06/11/05 08:01 PM Re: Oldman at Borders. [Re: oldman]
MAGr Offline
Veteran

Loc: London, home: Athens
If someone's book is going to end up being read by people, and if those people gain something from reading it then I think it is your obligation to write it. It would be a travesty for knowledge not to be passed on.

Did you know that we, in the year 2005, have the same mental capacity as cavemen had?
This means, that the only difference between us and the cave men is our ability to store knowledge. Not only store it but transfer it and communicate it from generation to generation. I think it would be a crying shame if someone such as yourself, who obviously has something to contribute (otherwise it would not have been suggested to you and all the replies you are getting would have come to be), does not add to the pool of knowledge that differentiates us from animals.

This may seem a bit idealistic and pretentious, but I truly believe in the notion that knowledge is for sharing, and above anything else rewarding!

If you need more reasons, then tell me and I will list them alphabetically!

Its meant to be!

#154865 - 06/11/05 08:10 PM Re: Oldman at Borders. [Re: MAGr]
yamig Offline

Loc: Conyers, GA
Do it. You know you wanna.

Seriously, if you have knowledge you want to share, I think it would be a waste not to.

#154866 - 06/11/05 10:15 PM Re: Oldman at Borders. [Re: yamig]
Kintama Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Massachusetts
The decision to write something is easy...the answer is yes, absolutely do it.
The decision to publish it is a much more serious commitment.
If you can write something that you think you will still be proud of in 25 years...publish it.

I have no doubt you have the ability to do both. Put me in for a pre-order.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga