FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 37 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LeroyCFischer, JadeKing, Beefcake, WesJones, simonajones111
22933 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
charlie 2
futsaowingchun 2
Matakiant 1
William_Bent 1
simonajones111 1
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
New Topics
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
MA style video library
by
03/22/06 03:18 PM
Recent Posts
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
MA style video library
by charlie
11/11/14 04:05 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/29/14 10:01 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Forum Stats
22933 Members
36 Forums
35589 Topics
432521 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#154867 - 06/11/05 10:20 PM Re: Oldman at Borders. [Re: Hedgehogey]
oldman Offline
Professional Poster

Hedge,
once again you state the obvious as though it was a hard won insight. I will say thanks though I finally realized that the only reason I'm involved in the arts at all is to take advantage of the gullible and make a fast buck. Oh and I forgot, I also want people to have a false sense of security and foster their illusions. I'm so ashamed.

#154868 - 06/12/05 12:22 AM Re: Oldman at Borders. [Re: oldman]
KiDoHae Offline
Former Moderator

Oldman, as I would tell you no differently publicly than privately here goes. Since you already have some insight into getting published and no illussions about getting rich if you are successful what's left?

Like you, I have a bookcase full of MA books. They range greatly in both content and quality. Some are techniqcal, some are philosophical - some a bit of both. I have read everyone. Several did not live up to the promise conveyed on the bookcover and were disappointing.

Of all that seemed to interest me enough to make it to my bookcase, only a few are reserved for the "top shelf". These are dog eared, highlighted and read many times over. They are treasures. The final leg of my martial arts journey is to put them all in a box and lug them down to the basement or give them all to someone who seems deserving of such a great gift.

You asked us all "why" should you go through the trouble? There is my answer. Not one of the authors of the books in my bookcase (not just those on the top shelf) could possibly have imagined how much they might have influenced my training, my own humble understanding of the martial arts or my life - one way or another.

If you believe that you, in your own way , can offer an insight or shine a light on someone's else's path to help them find their way - just do it. The truth is, is that when that happens you will never know it. However, like me and my dog eared treasures, they will be profoundly grateful for your efforts.

#154869 - 06/12/05 12:27 AM Re: Oldman at Borders. [Re: oldman]
nekogami13 V2.0 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Texas, USA
Oldman, you have the ability and the knowledge. You have a gift for communicating with people visually.
Do you have a love for the martial arts?
Do you want to share any of the above with others?

#154870 - 06/12/05 12:41 AM Re: Oldman at Borders. [Re: oldman]
eyrie Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: QLD, Australia
Why bother with words? A picture is worth a 1000 words. In your case, it would be priceless!

I can just see it... a Dilbertesque compilation of The Daily Oldman, replete with Oldman's inimitable wisdom, liberally peppered with loquacious verbosity, haikus and Zen quips.

Can I put a preorder in for a dozen signed copies?

#154871 - 06/12/05 12:55 AM Re: Oldman at Borders. [Re: oldman]
hedkikr Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Southern California, USA
The unanimous response so far is tribute to the talents you possess that we wished we possessed. I know how difficult it is to get published (I'm not); writing & re-writing & re-writing again, "them" messing w/ your "baby", etc.

One thing keeps coming back re: showing bunkai to irresponsible people/kids... It's worthless unless you practice the skill over & over. A person trying to apply techniques they learned from a book or video gets bored & discouraged very quickly. It's the interaction in a good school that brings MA alive.

Also, think IKEA... Your work could easily go international. It transcends the written/spoken word.

Just my $1.50 (inflation)

#154872 - 06/12/05 02:58 AM Re: Oldman at Borders. [Re: hedkikr]
Leo_E_49 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: California
Go for it.

You won't know whether it was all worth it until you finish anyway so I think the question is not "why?", the question is "why not?".

Good luck, whatever you decide.

#154873 - 06/12/05 04:25 AM Re: Oldman at Borders. [Re: oldman]
Bossman Offline
Veteran

Loc: Chatham Kent UK
Oldman - I understand your quandry. I have written continuously in martial art mags for well over 20 years in the UK, have worked on joint books and have a developed a training system that 2 publishers want to publish and make dvd's of BUT... I feel that whatever I publish about my system will make it smaller, I teach all over europe and everyone wants a book and dvd. All the younger guys are out there on the 'seminar circuit' with a book and dvd and I don't want to be a part of that either. I feel that 'keys' or 'pinciples' can be written on an A4 sheet of paper - it's the personal instruction and discovery that really counts and I've passed that on over 35 years to a handful of students and therefore done my job. I feel that a book and dvd's will make it less and therefore be doing a disservice.

A book of Oldman cartoons and humour would be great.

#154874 - 06/12/05 09:36 AM Re: Oldman at Borders. [Re: oldman]
RangerG Offline
Former Moderator

Loc: Chester County, Pennsylvania
To an oldman, from another old man...

Creating the cartoon characters in itself may be the answer to your question. The ideas and the characters spring from your mind. They are your creations, and like all artists, your create because it is your nature to do so.

In my culture, not to live your vision, is to live death. Everyone in their life has an epiphany where their true meaning in life is reveiled to them, whether they chose to live it is their choice. The world is either richer or poorer for their decision.

As the elders in our cultures, we also have an obligation to pass on what wisdom we have aquired in our lives to the younger generations, your medium for this is your art.

I would humbly submit that you search your heart to discover the true meaning of your art. Is it only for you, or is it ment to be shared with others regardless of the financial gain..or lack thereof?

Neither I nor anyone else here can answer your question my friend, only your can.

I happen to think the world would be richer for sharing your art.

RG

#154875 - 06/12/05 02:50 PM Re: Oldman at Borders. [Re: oldman]
bo-ken Offline
Veteran

Loc: beaver falls, PA, beaver
Oldman I can't talk you into anything (do it, do it, do it) but I would really like for you to do this book. Your wife could help you write it if you had any problems. I think that your book would be a great teaching aid for students of all ages. I know I would buy a copy and tell everyone one I know to buy one. The best thing I could hope for is if you came out with a series of them. But, please if you don't come out with a book maybe you could start a website where we could download kata drawn by you.

#154876 - 06/12/05 02:56 PM Re: Oldman at Borders. [Re: Leo_E_49]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Amherst, MA
Well, I would buy a copy. But I would buy anything put out by any of the 'fighting farts' here. Especially if it included a hairy harlan with nunchuks.

Seriously, I like the humor. Sometimes I find it a little crass, or lowbrow, but like a pinch from an old aunt...it loosens me up.

Suggestion: skip hard-copy and book store distribution. Target your audience..sell it as an e-book, right here at fightingarts.com, and use PayPal.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga