FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 40 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn, Ron_Cooley, businns
22902 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 12
cxt 7
trevek 6
JKogas 5
TaekwonDoFan 2
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Iaido movements speed
by TooNice
04/14/14 01:47 PM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Recent Posts
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
Yesterday at 11:35 AM
centerline concepts
by Dobbersky
07/18/14 06:14 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:38 AM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Forget all that health stuff
by TaekwonDoFan
06/29/14 03:18 AM
Forum Stats
22902 Members
36 Forums
35563 Topics
432450 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#154745 - 07/07/05 03:34 PM Re: Streetfighting trend [Re: slash89]
Spin_Hook Offline

I love the offhand "what I would do in a street fight" advice. I know if my instructor found out that I was out starting fights in the street over something stupid (which is almost invariably what street fights are about) then I would be summarily kicked out of my school with a full refund the next day.

Here's a tip for "street fighters": try using your brain and diffusing the situation before worrying about which window you should throw a guy through. I'm not saying sit the guy down and discuss his childhood but 90% of the time apologizing (even if I wasn't wrong to begin with) and offering to buy a round of beer saved me the trouble of having to spend half the night getting stitches.

Whatever happened to the philosophical aspect of martial arts? The aim of self improvement over the aim of "kicking ass"?

#154746 - 07/08/05 12:14 AM Re: Streetfighting trend [Re: SANCHIN31]
Ubermint Offline

From the problem with the streetfighting mindset.

Quote:

One would think that by training in "street" orientated martial arts, or combatives that emphasize the self defense aspects of martial arts, to the exclusion of what they deem to be "sports" training, that these types of individuals would gain more confidence, more peace, more happiness, and become more comfortable within them as their skills at 'self-defense' grew. Unfortunately, it has been my experience that the opposite seems to be true. Individuals that come to strictly "street" orientated martial arts, that were already prone to feelings of inadequacy, shame, physiological fear, and paranoia tend to have those qualities magnified by such training, rather then eased.

I wouldn't ask anyone to take my word for it with that assessment. Instead I would suggest one visit the nearest "mercenary" convention, combatives or "street" martial arts forums, or speak with these individuals in person. This sadness, anger, and immense fear is palpable when you are forced to spend anytime around these types of individuals. Try reading the posts at the "street" forums. Many tend to read like angry notes from disgruntled 13-year-old boys. There is talk of "tearing out the mo-fo's eyes", biting, and various vicious things that can be done to the attackers. The posts speak to an intense anger and fear in the writers, and sadly, the Instructors of such curriculums cater to this need by exploiting their target audiences obvious weakness, and emotional frailty.

#154747 - 07/08/05 03:56 PM Re: Streetfighting trend [Re: Ubermint]
MG26 Offline

I've read the full version of this article and it appears to consist of nothing more than uncorroborated personal opinions and bland assertions. There is not an iota of evidence to back up any of the author's claims, which furthermore appear to be unqualified. I find that this extract in particular:

"Regards the stick fighting, to actually be able to fight with a stick one would have to start by throwing out the majority of the "Kali" that is typically taught, and almost all the 'drills', which are little more then two man Kata which teach one what not to do."

detracts from much of the author's credibility. He does not understand what the kali drills are supposed to teach. Anyone who has spent even a couple of hours on kali knows what the 2-man drills are meant to teach.

There are a myriad reasons to doubt all of the author's claims, but I can't be bothered to waste any more time on this piece of rubbish, which appears to be a hapless but bold piece of magazine "filler".

#154748 - 07/27/05 01:07 PM Re: Streetfighting trend [Re: MG26]
WanderingMonk Offline
Stranger

Loc: germany
Sir
Let us not forget that this topic has had a life of its own scince and before the dynastys, and like every combative study it is born out of fear, and most people do the arts to better themselfs and gain a higher learning to become fitter, what we miss is the mental development, we can not teach a destructrive disipline, throw them in a ring a say fight see whos better. it is just not right, sculpt their minds as well. if it means a serious discusion about brawls then so be it. By the way nobady wins in a fight real or fake.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga