FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 38 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn
22904 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 14
cxt 7
trevek 6
JKogas 5
futsaowingchun 4
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Recent Posts
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
Yesterday at 05:11 AM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:53 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
07/24/14 11:35 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Forum Stats
22904 Members
36 Forums
35564 Topics
432455 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Topic Options
#154344 - 06/09/05 07:01 PM time for cross training.
TKD-Skippi Offline

Loc: Scotland, Selkirk
so yeh, the title says it all. i just have few little questions about Kung fu (wing Tzun) my first question is how does one pronounce sifu. just as its spelled or is it like 'syfu'? also is tere any special practices i should observe when i enter the traing area? Also in what ways do you all think Kung fu and Taekwon-do would compliment each other? from what i've heard of kung fu, it woud sem both arts well work well together. thank you for your time.
Do not be overcome by evil , but overcome evil with good -Romans 13:21

#154345 - 06/09/05 07:40 PM Re: time for cross training. [Re: TKD-Skippi]
DefenselessChild Offline

Kung Fu and Tae Kwan Doe are very different in many ways. I personally wouldn't mix them since they have different emphasis. I prefer a mix of something like Kung fu (for striking) with something like BJJ. (for grappling)

Sifu in chinese is prenouned in a way difficult to explain in text. (I'm Chinese) Most Americans just pronounce it See-Foo.

#154346 - 06/10/05 12:33 AM Re: time for cross training. [Re: DefenselessChild]
imcrazy Offline
cereal killer

Loc: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Combining TKD and kung fu isn't any worse then combining BJJ and kung fu. However please keep in mind that the word kung fu incorporates many styles, and with that there is a varying degree upon which martial art will compliment it the best. If you are trying to combine a type of kung fu with a non-kung fu martial art, then yes they will be very different. But thatís a good thing. Just keep in mind that concepts in one may not be present in the other. Now BJJ can be a good a choice b/c it focuses on grappling and ground fighting (something few kung fu styles emphasize) however I have no idea what style of kung fu you are doing so it would be hard to know exactly where you are coming from.

But the main question is "why do you want to cross-train?" is it:
1)to fill a weakness in your current art?
or
2) because you like a certain attack or technique (eg. kicking) and you want an art with more emphasis on this.

If choice 1 then go for an art that well covers that weakness. If choice 2 go for an art that involves what you want (so if you like kicking then TKD is a good choice, not the only choice however).

Also it should be mentioned that I personally believe you should have a good grounding in your current art before cross training, otherwise your ability to learn may be hindered (jack of all trades, master of none syndrome).

Edited by imcrazy (06/10/05 12:35 AM)

#154347 - 06/10/05 07:17 AM Re: time for cross training. [Re: DefenselessChild]
MAGr Offline
Veteran

Loc: London, home: Athens
Defensless,
Please try to show me the correct pronunciation of sifu, I have the greatest respect for your culture and I hate pronouncing foreign words incorrectly, culture and language go together and I cant learn one without the other.

I would be wary of cross breeding wing chun with TWD, they have opposing principles behind them. In wing chun you never kick above the waist. There are kicks involved and a lot of applications with kicks, but like someone said before I would sooner mix BJJ with wing chun rather than TWD, becase you will besically have to unlearn most of what you have learnt. Of course, having siad that nothing can take the TWD experience away from you and you might be able to marry the two arts well, I cant say.

#154348 - 06/10/05 08:40 AM Re: time for cross training. [Re: MAGr]
TKD-Skippi Offline

These replys are very informative, thank you. Althoughe, In the sport TKD side of things kicking below the belt is not allowed, however TKD has a number kicks which can only used below the belt the rule of kicking only above the belt in sparing (imho)is to promote balance, leg streagh and flexibility. there is nothing i've read that says you MUST kick above the belt in a 'real' situation. Could someone explain the ideals of Wing Tzun?

#154349 - 06/10/05 03:55 PM Re: time for cross training. [Re: TKD-Skippi]
DefenselessChild Offline

Ideals of wing chun from what I understand are rigid stance work, lots of hand work, similar to boxing in some aspects... I understand they use the centerline principle or something... Sorry I can't be more help, haven't ever met a wing chun guy in my area...

To Magr, I'm sorry, but it's difficult to get a proper translation using english lettering. There are subtleties in tone for Chinese that give the word its meaning. Here's the best I could find. http://cgibin.erols.com/mandarintools/cgi-bin/charlook.pl
search for "teacher"
hope the links work...

Edited by DefenselessChild (06/10/05 03:56 PM)

#154350 - 06/10/05 05:33 PM Re: time for cross training. [Re: TKD-Skippi]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
WT and TKD can make a good combination. Both are fairly linear styles that emphasize striking. WT will teach you very good offensive and defensive hand technique, but not much in the way of kicks. TKD will teach you all manner of kicks, but tends to be limited in hand techniques in comparison.

I would personally look into a grappling style if you have not already.

#154351 - 06/10/05 06:14 PM Re: time for cross training. [Re: MattJ]
TKD-Skippi Offline

I wouldent say that 7 hand strkes is that limited...is it? I have loked into to a grapling style, theres a judo class it trains only once a week and its sport judo. i live in the scottish borders, theres very vey few MA classes here.

#154352 - 06/10/05 07:45 PM Re: time for cross training. [Re: TKD-Skippi]
MAGr Offline
Veteran

Loc: London, home: Athens
Which chung is linear but makes great use of angles. The stance is not rigid, its rooted, its also very mobile, find a school that does a lot of footwork. The handwork is superb, and great fun!. Wing chun has kicks, it even has sticky legs, but it has no kicks above the belt, it is not a point scoring MA, anything goes. Its hard to descrive an art, try looking for articles on the internet. there is a website called the wing chun archives, that has loads of useful stuff.

Defensless, thanks for the link, that is a really usefull site!, I ll try and find someone who speaks mandarin to teach me. (that ll take a while! )

Moderator:  Cord, Gavin, JasonM, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga