FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 48 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn, Ron_Cooley, businns
22902 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 12
cxt 7
trevek 6
JKogas 5
futsaowingchun 2
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Iaido movements speed
by TooNice
04/14/14 01:47 PM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Recent Posts
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
07/24/14 11:35 AM
centerline concepts
by Dobbersky
07/18/14 06:14 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:38 AM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Forget all that health stuff
by TaekwonDoFan
06/29/14 03:18 AM
Forum Stats
22902 Members
36 Forums
35563 Topics
432450 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#154151 - 06/10/05 04:14 AM Re: Self defense scenario [Re: globetrotter]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
The bottles could put you at an advantage. If someone is openly holding a weapon as a threat, they a)have no confidence in their abilities without it (are scared of confrontation), and b) will always strike with the weapon first. This means they have cut their opening attack possibilities from four (all limbs) to one (the hand holding the bottle) Much more predictable.
Admitedly, two on one is never good odds (notice fighting them was never in my initial answer) but the bottles dont make me more worried.
As a door supervisor it is often the case that people you ask or persuade to leave a premises are holding a glass or bottle. I have been hit with two bottles in these scenarios, neither of them broke (maybe I have a soft head?) and I was able to grab the problem arm and control the danger. A pint glass is more of a threat than a bottle in my experience, but I have been fortunate in avoiding injury from those.

#154152 - 06/10/05 04:49 AM Re: Self defense scenario [Re: Cord]
SANCHIN31 Offline
Former Moderator

Loc: Arkansas, U.S.
Quote:

As a door supervisor it is often the case that people you ask or persuade to leave a premises are holding a glass or bottle. I have been hit with two bottles in these scenarios, neither of them broke (maybe I have a soft head?) and I was able to grab the problem arm and control the danger. A pint glass is more of a threat than a bottle in my experience, but I have been fortunate in avoiding injury from those.

One quick point here. Most untrained people do not know how to hit.They usally just strike the surface without the follow through. That may be why the bottles didn't break.I fought a jock in H.S. who was bigger than me,he didn't know how to punch though.He only hit the surface on me while I had a follow through.I had quite a rep for about two weeks.

I see your point about the bottles showing their weakness,plus the fact that they had to do it together.They also had to "drink" their way up to confronting people.I doubt you would see either one of them alone,sober,and unarmed attempting the same thing.

#154153 - 06/10/05 06:44 AM Re: Self defense scenario [Re: SANCHIN31]
Belnick Offline
Veteran

Loc: SWEDEN
Quote:

You are out of town and pull into a gas station at night.After filling up you walk to the store to pay.?You are approached by two slightly drunk guys holding bottles.(you weren't aware until they were close) One asks you for change while the other nervously looks around.You don't know what their intentions are,but several things are running through your mind.What would you say or do?
This happened to me,I'll tell you the rest later.

I would slide my right hand into my pocket and slid on my spiked brass knuckle and tell them to get out of my face loud, if they had not stepped back I would have brought my hand out to show the spikes on my hand, if they had not backed off then I would have shuved the guy infront with left hand while "aiming" the spikes, from there I don't know, if I felt they threaten my life I would have made the strike or fold and throw the elbow instead of the spikes

then again I doubt I would stop and gas at night, u got the extra in the trunk so if u need gas in the night use that...

#154154 - 06/10/05 09:50 AM Re: Self defense scenario [Re: Belnick]
MAGr Offline
Veteran

Loc: London, home: Athens
sounds like fun man!

#154155 - 06/10/05 12:08 PM Re: Self defense scenario [Re: SANCHIN31]
Neko456 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Midwest City, Ok, USA
In a situation like that I usually will give them a dollar or change, sometimes. I usually will say that I'll catch them after I pay for my gas. On the way out I'll let them approach me again, usually I'll tell them, "hold it right there. Let me get some money out"., While I get off the phone, but mostly controlling there distance. I'll pull my coat or jacket back exposing my conceal carry 40 s&w or 9mm, hand extended again controlling there distance and they are now stepping back eye wide. I'll hand them a $ and changes. The predator look fades to graditude and "Thank you sir". Once a cop you always think control distance and the situation though its two them with a bottle and drunk. Mentally change their mind without becoming aggressive but stay in control. It can take the play away from them, they don'tfeel in control and alot time won't get aggressive even if they wanted to initally.

Even in the rare situation without my carry weapon, I control the distance and the situation. I usally will ask them to stay a certain distance away, by saying "Hold it right there until I get my whatever out". Hand jestures to position them. If they don't comply, you know their coming at you, so there is no real surprises.

Sanchin321 U handled the sitation well or you got lucky.

#154156 - 06/10/05 06:22 PM Re: Self defense scenario [Re: Belnick]
JoelM Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Georgia, USA
Quote:

I would slide my right hand into my pocket and slid on my spiked brass knuckle

You carry spiked brass knuckles with you all of the time? Is your area that bad?

Quote:

then again I doubt I would stop and gas at night, u got the extra in the trunk so if u need gas in the night use that...

Am I the only one who thinks carrying a can full of gas in your trunk is a bad idea? That's what I've always been told.

#154157 - 06/10/05 06:47 PM Re: Self defense scenario [Re: JoelM]
SANCHIN31 Offline
Former Moderator

Loc: Arkansas, U.S.
I had a 3inch lockblade in my pocket,but I think pulling any weapon would escalate the situation which obviously could have been avoided.

#154158 - 06/11/05 02:28 AM Re: Self defense scenario [Re: SANCHIN31]
BulldogTKD Offline

Lets see, drunk guys at night with bottles in hand asking for money to get drunker. I would have noticed them before I finished filling up and if they approched me as I was walking to pay I would have keep walking and as I passed I would have said no! nice and loud and kept walking as I stayed a tuned to there movement. Then watched them as I paid and walked with confidence to my car.
Drunk people are unpredictable and should be watched but they are still drunk and are easy to handle most of the time.

#154159 - 06/11/05 02:39 AM Re: Self defense scenario [Re: SANCHIN31]
nekogami13 V2.0 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Texas, USA
I generally tell the truth,"Sorry, I don't carry cash"
Which is true, I never have cash on me-just my trusty Visa checkcard.

Averting an attempted mugging, priceless!
Visa, everywhere you want to be.

#154160 - 06/11/05 05:05 AM Re: Self defense scenario [Re: globetrotter]
Rumble Offline

Quote:

the bottles worry me.... in the couple of times that unarmed people have approached me like this, I have found that a direct confrontation, in a not too agressive manner, seems to work. they expect you to be scared, and they aren't really muggers, or they would have real arms. so they are looking for an easy mark. I would politly say that I can't help them, and ask the store manager to call the cops, if I think that they are threatening enough. I would do what I could to make them feel that I am not at all intimidated by them.

I agree with globetrotter I would do the same thing most times they are testing you or feeling you out if you are scared or intimidated they are looking for a target with the less possible threat or resistance that will easily comply with what they want. But you also have to smart too because if they dont back down there must be a reason meaning they might have a knife or gun then I would advise you to just avoid them as much as possible and get the heck out of there. One situation happened to me was one time late at night I was in my car at a stop light behind another car. The light turned green and he didnt move so I waited for awhile then I honked my horn then all of a sudden he opens his door and comes half way out of his car cussing and swearing at me and wanting to fight me I looked at his arm and he has a huge cast around his arm and a ankle brace on his leg instantly I knew that this guy must be packing some kind of weapon cause theres no way in hell that he would challenge me and beat me up with a cast on his hand and a ankle brace on his leg. So I did the smart thing and just drove off. Later I found out who that guy was and they said I did the right thing because he was packing a 38 special close call. Thats why you gotta know when to fight and when not too cause you can be the best martail arts fighter in the world but you cant beat no gun. Also one time my friend told me that he practices the ultimate martial art style that no one can beat and I was very excited to hear what this ultimate style this was and he said its called GUN FU lol we had a good laugh but realized that its true.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Cord, Dedicated1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga