FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 55 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
Galen 2
MattJ 2
Dobbersky 2
royal 2
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
General perspective on training
by Galen
Yesterday at 04:05 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
I am not often inspired
by Galen
01/13/14 07:28 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
General perspective on training
by Galen
Yesterday at 04:05 PM
I am not often inspired
by Galen
Yesterday at 04:03 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
Yesterday at 06:52 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35547 Topics
432379 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#153948 - 07/27/05 06:37 PM Re: Krav Vs. Systema [Re: fattts14]
Kaver Offline

I've heard that back before or after WW1 (I really can't remember) the Isreali army was having problems with some rebels (or something like that) and they contacted the Russian (Soviet back then) army to help them learn an effective way of fighting. So the soviet Army contracted out the Spetznas to teach the Isreali army the Systema.

I don't know if you guys have noticed Krav Maga is the true Systema HARD CORE, what I mean is all the movements are the same, the emphasis on well like Bruce Lee put it "...be like water..." move lossely but hit as hard as you can, and there are so many more comparissions gun disarming, knife fighting, knife disarming, evading stikes, giving and taking strikes, and so forth.

I'm a huge fan of the Systema but I give credit where credit is due. Krav Maga is what you'd be learning if you were trainning for the Spetz.

#153949 - 07/27/05 08:37 PM Re: Krav Vs. Systema [Re: Kaver]
Fletch1 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Florida
Well, there you have it.

Israeli forces contracted Russians to teach them how to fight better. The result is that KM = Systema. The old "if it's good or popular, then they got it from us" argument.

That should irritate some people.

#153950 - 07/27/05 09:05 PM Re: Krav Vs. Systema [Re: Kaver]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Quote by Kaver -

Quote:

I've heard that back before or after WW1 (I really can't remember) the Isreali army was having problems with some rebels (or something like that) and they contacted the Russian (Soviet back then) army to help them learn an effective way of fighting. So the soviet Army contracted out the Spetznas to teach the Isreali army the Systema

Holy crap. I am far from a history buff, but even I know that statement is so full of historical inaccuracies as to be completely worthless.

Google some history, kids....that is just....oy.

#153951 - 07/29/05 09:36 AM Re: Krav Vs. Systema [Re: MattJ]
csinca Offline
former moderator

Loc: Southern California
MattJ,

Not everyone feels bound and restricted by facts and actual history!

It's possible that the Soviets would teach the Israelis how to fight at the same time they were arming the rest of the middle east to "drive them into the sea". Of course they should have taught some form of iron shirt or trained them to shoot with their eyes closed and "using the force".

As for the timeline, I can't even come up with anything entertaining or speculative

Chris

#153952 - 07/29/05 09:47 AM Re: Krav Vs. Systema [Re: csinca]
globetrotter Offline
does unto others before they do unto him

Loc: ny usa
this is pretty much full of crap, with some possible grains of truth burried inside.

1. the time line is pretty screwed up - krav was developed in the 40's with a lot of what is being used now developed in the 60's and 70's.

2. the leadership of the israeli military, in the begining, came from the british and the russian armies. several well known founders were assosiated with britsh camandos. it is possible, but not documented, that there were russian camandos who came to israel after wwii, joined the israeli army and incorporated parts of the system into krav maga

3. what is more likly is that since the 80's a few hundred ex soviet spetz guys have immigrated to israel, some of them have gotten involved in krav, and this could have been responsible for the cross "contamination"

#153953 - 07/31/05 02:03 PM Re: Krav Vs. Systema [Re: globetrotter]
Boomer Offline

Loc: York, Pa
Quote:

In August 1986, the Soviet Union renewed contacts with Israel for the first time since severing diplomatic relations immediately following the June 1967 War.

It seems that though the Soviets and Israelis were talking again, everything, shall we say, was not "kosher"

Quote:

Despite its renewed contacts with Israel, the Soviet Union continued to support the PLO and the Palestinian cause through military training and arms shipments. Moscow also used various front organizations, such as the World Peace Council, to wage propaganda campaigns against the Israeli regime in international forums.

This is straight from the US Library of Congress, and here's a link to aid your timeline.

http://countrystudies.us/israel/109.htm

History is a curious thing, and it's good to know your roots. Also remember though, that history is written by the victors.

#153954 - 08/01/05 04:16 PM Re: Krav Vs. Systema [Re: Boomer]
Mtripp Offline

Well, I have siad this before, and it always brings me a great deal of heat. But, once more unto the breech,

I was in the Army, my job was to understand what the Soviets were going to do to us, or at least try. I can show you lots of stuff about Sambo, but this "systema" thing I never heard of in any context.

The first I heard of it was in the comic's. Batman had an opponent called "The KGBeast" who used "The system" to defeat his opponents.

I have seen their tapes, including the VERY silly "troopa", and seen the demo live in Toronto at the LeBell Grapling event.

I thinkj I can safely say there is no connection to Krav Maga.

#153955 - 08/01/05 06:20 PM Re: Krav Vs. Systema [Re: Mtripp]
RangerG Offline
Former Moderator

Loc: Chester County, Pennsylvania
I have done some digging and have not found a connection either.

#153956 - 08/13/05 08:49 AM Re: Krav Vs. Systema [Re: modernwarrior]
Armed_Man_Piker Offline

Loc: East Coast U.S.A.
Quote:

I have watched and practiced a little bit of both styles and all it seemed was like glorified street fighting very practical if i might add. But what is the difference between the Russian Martial Arts(Systema) and Krav Maga? They bolth are very practical and usefull.

Aside from the fact that they are both taught to their respective militaries, there's no connection.

Systema or "Russian Martial Art" (note how "art" is singular--a Russian phenomenon) has all kinds of whacky stuff in it, that supposedly dates back to earlier periods in Russian history. If I recall correctly, the entire sambo (the Russian synthesis of judo and various indigenous Eurasian wrestling styles) syllabus is also a part of Systema.

Krav Maga, on the other hand, looks pretty much like most other conventional modern military combatives, like Fairbairn's defendu, etc (and hence one wonders why there's even a need for a separate forum on this stuff).

#153957 - 08/13/05 08:55 AM Re: Krav Vs. Systema [Re: fattts14]
Armed_Man_Piker Offline

Loc: East Coast U.S.A.
Quote:

It does take it's routes from ancient Russia and basicly took the best of all the fighting styles they encountered through all of history (like when the mongols envaded, ancient battles with the turks and persians, etc.) and narrowed it down to the most effective and deadly moves.

Prove it.

I suspect that the Systema claim you mention above is pure nonsense (Moderators edit for language).

And, if it isn't, then all I can say is that the Mongol Conquest and Occupation of Mother Russia must have been the all-time low point for Systema development.

Certainly, Systema didn't help the local boyars against the Mongol Horde one bit.

Edited by RangerG (08/16/05 02:13 PM)

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Cord, Dedicated1, JasonM, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga