FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 27 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn
22904 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 12
cxt 7
trevek 6
JKogas 5
futsaowingchun 4
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Recent Posts
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
Yesterday at 10:15 AM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 08:53 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
07/24/14 11:35 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Forum Stats
22904 Members
36 Forums
35564 Topics
432453 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Topic Options
#153646 - 07/01/05 12:59 PM Re: Funny video on Dillman student. [Re: Kosh]
Kempoman Offline
Veteran

Loc: Houston, TX
Quote:

GSD, I`ve never heard of James Lacy (I think). Who is he and can you reccomend some books?

Lacy is a person who studied for a while with GM Doo Wai (of White Tiger GungFu). He has some videos from Panther Prod. and on his own website. I've spoken to him on several occasions and he is very helpful. His life and lifestyle have been the subject of much controversy.

Just google for 'coconut break' and you'll find him.

Quote:

Kempoman have you ever read "The end of time" by Jiddu Krishnamurti and David Bohm? Hard book to read, but if I remember correctly, in it Krishnamurti says something about wanting to be greater, to be better, to be something else is the cause of suffering.

No I haven't, but I'll check it out. Love to read.

Quote:

Kempoman I think you`re talking about sound KOs? An interesting explanation, but what is an amygdala?

Yes, I think that you are correct. They are calling them sound KO's. The explanation is a very well documented natural physiological process and I feel that they either know that they are using it or have stumbled into using it...but they are using it.

The amygdala is a small almond-shaped area of the brain that is very heavily involved in the fear response mechnism. Call it fight-or-flight or Body Alarm Reaction it is regulated by this area of the brain. Scientists have been doing studies into this are for some time and are now beginning to understand what is happening. It is also believed to be involved with rapid-programming of human behaviour.

You can do some very cool things with it as far as making people miss you when they strike and other such things.

Quote:

I think the debate in this thread was pretty good and "civilized" in comparison to some other threads (here or on other forums).

I agree. These subjects usually go bad really fast. It speaks volumes for everyone posting here.

--KM

#153647 - 07/01/05 01:41 PM Re: Funny video on Dillman student. [Re: Kempoman]
laf7773 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Limbo
Quote:

You can do some very cool things with it as far as making people miss you when they strike and other such things.

It as a lot to do with deceptive movement, peripheral vision and it's link to the amygdale and how it's hard wired. There has been discussion here in a few different threads about this. It's referred to as choshi dori in some Japanese systems. Is there a "Chinese" version?

#153648 - 07/01/05 02:40 PM Re: Funny video on Dillman student. [Re: laf7773]
Kempoman Offline
Veteran

Quote:

It as a lot to do with deceptive movement, peripheral vision and it's link to the amygdale and how it's hard wired. There has been discussion here in a few different threads about this. It's referred to as choshi dori in some Japanese systems. Is there a "Chinese" version?

Not that I am immediately aware of. I have spoken with Dale Seago about the chosi dori stuff and he is who pointed me down the path of the studying the amygdala.

This area of the fear response mechinism, body alarm reaction and rapid behaviour programming is a gold-mine.

Scott

#153649 - 07/01/05 03:22 PM Re: Funny video on Dillman student. [Re: Kempoman]
BaguaMonk Offline

Loc: DALLAS TX BABY
I agree with you for the most part laff. These gimmicks are almost as bad as the iron body tricks. Even those aren't as bad, because they are just training tools to aid in controlling chi/blood flow. But alot of these supposed knock outs, and no touch knockouts, are heavily influenced by the power of suggestion, fear (of teacher), an idolization. I wes once a victim of this, and sometimes when he would do the pressure point presses/grabs, I would purposefully drop, or sometimes even feel pain just so he wouldn't get mad at me. I don't mean to generalize, but most kempo instructors, don't impress me in any way, shape, or form. Wether its their practicec (which usually is pretty lifeless), forms, techniques, ego trips, etc. I'm just not impressed, in particular with this "Dim Mak" stuff, it exists...but not the way I have seen Kempo instructors teach it.

#153650 - 07/02/05 02:38 AM Re: Funny video on Dillman student. [Re: Kempoman]
laf7773 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Limbo
I gathered a little info form him as well then went on to find out what i could. I came across a bit about "Hijacking the amygdala" that explains a bit as to why choshi dori works.

#153651 - 07/05/05 03:49 PM Re: Funny video on Dillman student. [Re: laf7773]
Kempoman Offline
Veteran

A little more on how this short-circuiting or 'hijacking' of the amygdala as Lane nicely put it works and how it is related to this new Sound NTKO demonstration.

Our eyes take in visual cues and stimulation which is passed to the thalamus. The thalamus kind of decides where the information should go, in this case the visual cortex. The visual cortex analyzes the input (impulse) and then decides where to send it. If it is decided that there is something to get excited about then the signal is sent to the amygdala, the hippocampus is consulted for the 'appropriate' reaction and cocktail. However if a potiential threat is realized it will bypass the visual cortex and send the signal straight to the amygdala. In this pattern the amygdala can only react based on previously stored patterns.

Now how this relates to the NTSKO.

If you notice the qi master will allow the subject to punch them in the stomach several times with success. This will establish a pattern of the normal path of eyes-thalamus-visual cortex with no need to send the signal to the amygdala. Then without any prior notification on the next attempted punch, the qi master makes a threatening motion toward coupled with a kiai.

This is perceived as a direct threat and causes the thalamus to route the input directly to the amygdala. The amygdala has no option to consult the hippocampus for the appropriate reaction and must react based on previous behaviour. This causes the subject to fall and cover, the shocked nature of the subject is a result of the nice 'cocktail' that has been released as a result.

Make any sense?

--KM

#153652 - 07/05/05 07:20 PM Re: Funny video on Dillman student. [Re: Kempoman]
Kosh Offline

Loc: Novo mesto, Slovenia
I think it makes sense. But what if the person doing the NTSKO tells the person being KOed what he will do. I`ve seen a clip of a sound KO and the master told when he was going to do it.

Now kiai and energy transfer aside, do you think that "hijacking" the amygdala is useful in reality?

#153653 - 07/16/05 12:53 PM Re: Funny video on Dillman student. [Re: Kosh]
BaguaMonk Offline

Loc: DALLAS TX BABY
I hate to say it, but "no." Just MO.

Its a cool gimmick, and party trick though. Maybe it will help in new student registrations.

#153654 - 07/18/05 08:24 PM Re: Funny video on Dillman student. [Re: BaguaMonk]
Savatuer Offline

This has probably been posted before, but I didn't bother to read every post. Now, the reason I believe that these pressure points work on students and not outside people like those reporters is that the students have had an extreme buildup of fear of the effects of these techniques before expierencing them done on themselves.

#153655 - 07/20/05 12:18 AM Re: Funny video on Dillman student. [Re: BaguaMonk]
Citrushead Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
By the way, not sure if anyone caught this, but one of the JJ guys he tries it on is Stephan Bonner from the UFC reality show that was on Spike TV.

Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga