FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 44 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 2
jwwmantis 2
Beefcake 1
LeroyCFischer 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Chum Kiu's double Tan Sau motion
by futsaowingchun
12/22/14 10:08 AM
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Chum Kiu's double Tan Sau motion
by futsaowingchun
12/22/14 10:08 AM
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35592 Topics
432527 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 12 of 16 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 >
Topic Options
#153488 - 06/02/06 11:26 AM Re: Dim-Mak and other related stuff [Re: Gavin]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

where is the source of your anger, I wonder?

#153489 - 06/02/06 11:27 AM Re: Dim-Mak and other related stuff [Re: Gavin]
Victor Smith Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Derry, NH
Gavin,

I wish you luck with your quest and truly hope you find the value you seek.

One of my acquaintences from a Kempo background took a similar trip 20 years ago by studying with a Korean Shiatsu practionier for years, and was extremely disappointed at his journeys end.

I would only suggest several observations from my short years.

First, the Okinawan's themselves don't seem to have a group interest in this, nor am I aware that they feel it adds to their journey, and I respect the karate path began with them.

Second, it is far from universal that Chinese systems of martial study utilize the traditional chinese medical arts in their studies. Some do, but other major systems don't, which I've seen reported from several sources, not just my friends study. So it's obvious the Chinese have different minds on the issue too.

Last, my humble belief that only the correct study of karate will make karate stronger, and that adjunct training is likely to remain just that.

Of course I await demonstratable and transmittable proof that there are other answers, beyond antidotal discussion.

I'm not a skeptic, just a realist who, speaking for myself, will stay the course I follow.

But the years are yet young, and perhaps...

#153490 - 06/02/06 11:46 AM Re: Dim-Mak and other related stuff [Re: Victor Smith]
Gavin Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Southend, Essex, UK
Victor, my Shiatsu isn't really for martial purposes. There is a distinct crossover, but aim with the shiatsu is to become a good therapist, not martial artist.

My eventual choice to pursue a shiatsu path was after having a treatment and feeling the benefit it has given me in reliving some long term injuries. I've practiced on numerous people over the past year, most of whom aren't even aware of TCM, yet all without fail have gone away feeling better. Looser, better sleep patterns, more energy and a general better sense of well being. I've also helped people out with some injuries. For these benefits alone I think it's been time well spent.

Ed - You mistake tedium for anger.

#153491 - 06/02/06 12:11 PM Re: Dim-Mak and other related stuff [Re: Gavin]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

I'm in the wrong conversation. you are talking about feeling good using TCM after western medical treatment. and I don't have issue with 'whatever works' to feel good.

now....time for anyone not agreeing with you to 'get off our butts' and practice what you preach.

TCM rules! ...am I a 'hard worker' now?

seriously, good luck on your path.

#153492 - 06/02/06 12:14 PM Re: Dim-Mak and other related stuff [Re: Ed_Morris]
Gavin Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Southend, Essex, UK
Whacking stick is ready Ed, the stick is ready!!!!

#153493 - 06/02/06 01:00 PM Re: Dim-Mak and other related stuff [Re: Gavin]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

Thank-You Sir, may I have another!

{man, did this thread spin to unexpected places...I'll know better next time not to mess with people's belief systems.}

on original topic:
I recommend this book to learn what it's all about:
http://www.ashidakim.com/dojopress/catalogbk30.html

#153494 - 06/02/06 01:15 PM Re: Dim-Mak and other related stuff [Re: Ed_Morris]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Quote by Ed Morris -

Quote:

on original topic:
I recommend this book to learn what it's all about:
http://www.ashidakim.com/dojopress/catalogbk30.html<br

OH NO HE DIDN'T!!

#153495 - 06/02/06 06:18 PM Re: Dim-Mak and other related stuff [Re: Ed_Morris]
eyrie Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: QLD, Australia
Methinks you have been reading the Skeptics Dictionary....

BUT.... shifting the burden of proof on the TCM side does not make your argument stronger.

I suggest you do your research first into the history of modern medicine, and reformulate your argument. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by what you find...

This thread is fast going downhill on a slippery slope...

Otherwise, we could talk about hitting nerve or "pressure" (as used in modern medicine) points and discuss the short, medium and long term effect of hitting such points or why it creates specific and predictable physiological responses.

#153496 - 06/02/06 07:49 PM Re: Dim-Mak and other related stuff [Re: Ed_Morris]
wristtwister Offline
like a chiropractor, only evil

Loc: South Carolina
Quote:

and is very telling as to your gullability

Sorry Ed, but that's a saying I've heard since childhood, and it's just to show how stubborn some people can be... nothing to do with gullibility at all.

#153497 - 06/02/06 08:00 PM Re: Dim-Mak and other related stuff [Re: Ed_Morris]
wristtwister Offline
like a chiropractor, only evil

Loc: South Carolina
Quote:

research who the originator of Shiatsu is and what he did to develop this method. 'trial and error'. raw data

Ed, I have bad news for you... a lot of western medicine was developed by trial and error as well. Read a book called "The Century of the Surgeon"... it's a historical novel that chronicles the development of "modern surgery"... and unless you think killing patients by nicotine poisoning from shoving strong cigars up their rectum as anesthesia isn't "trial and error", you've got some crow to eat...

Most medical research is trial and error, and they keep cutting down on the error rate until they have a "predictable outcome". That is how every vaccine that's ever been developed has occured. That's why lots of them have ended up being recalled... they didn't work "as advertised" or began developing "unintended consequences".

Think about all the modern medicines that have been recalled... do you want that stuff running around your system, or would you rather have someone massaging spots that cause relief for your particular problem...

Let me see... what spot do we rub to aleviate stubborn???

Page 12 of 16 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga