FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 48 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn, Ron_Cooley, businns
22902 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 12
cxt 7
trevek 6
JKogas 5
TaekwonDoFan 2
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Iaido movements speed
by TooNice
04/14/14 01:47 PM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Recent Posts
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
Yesterday at 11:35 AM
centerline concepts
by Dobbersky
07/18/14 06:14 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:38 AM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Forget all that health stuff
by TaekwonDoFan
06/29/14 03:18 AM
Forum Stats
22902 Members
36 Forums
35563 Topics
432450 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 14 of 16 < 1 2 ... 12 13 14 15 16 >
Topic Options
#153508 - 06/03/06 12:32 AM Re: Dim-Mak and other related stuff [Re: wristtwister]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

just to clarify what I was 'marching towards'....because if there is anything that is more annoying to me, it's when the intent of my words get retranslated.

specific example: hitting the side of a neck at a downward angle is the most I can hope for when in the position to do so. my 30 years of part-time training allows me that much accuracy at least. aiming for the throbbing vein or hidden from sight nerve on that side of the neck and training my angle to be as close to the prescription for disaster is, TO ME, not productive given the reliability of it's outcome when compared to my 'general' strike. As Victor alluded - If anything, I might want to learn Dim Mak, so I specifically DON'T kill someone by accident.

you'd have cause to say my way sucks (you didn't say that, but youd have cause to) since you are more accurate with strikes, but I'd be willing to bet either one of us could deliver a hit to any part of a neck with decent effect. also, one more point...sometimes we don't have the luxury of scoping our target visually, it becomes a feel. If someone can locate and strike a specific surface target (put a dot on someones neck) as oppossed to 'just somewhere on the neck' on an unfamiliar opponent without looking, they have my respect...that would simply be amazing and is way above my ability. I wouldn't respect it as more effective, but I'd respect the control and accuracy for it's own sake.

I'm not looking for you to agree or disagree, just acknowledge you understand what I'm saying and at least see the logic, flawed or solid.

but in both of our cases, hitting an area somewhere within 5 inches or within 1 inch - the bad guy goes down...so what is there to argue about.

#153509 - 06/03/06 05:36 AM Re: Dim-Mak and other related stuff [Re: eyrie]
Victor Smith Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Derry, NH
Eyrie,

You are right, 'BTW, it's maggots that eat dead flesh... not leeches.', which is only proof why i'm not authorized to speak long on medical matters, though i think the principle i was talking about still applies.

#153510 - 06/03/06 07:30 AM Re: Dim-Mak and other related stuff [Re: Ed_Morris]
wristtwister Offline
like a chiropractor, only evil

Loc: South Carolina
Quote:

I'm not looking for you to agree or disagree, just acknowledge you understand what I'm saying and at least see the logic, flawed or solid.

Okay... there is logic on both sides of the argument.

Quote:

but in both of our cases, hitting an area somewhere within 5 inches or within 1 inch - the bad guy goes down...so what is there to argue about.

I don't know, but I'm sure it'll come up...

#153511 - 06/03/06 07:43 AM Re: Dim-Mak and other related stuff [Re: wristtwister]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

eyrie, 'oops I did it again'.

here is where you left off:
Quote:

Otherwise, we could talk about hitting nerve or "pressure" (as used in modern medicine) points and discuss the short, medium and long term effect of hitting such points or why it creates specific and predictable physiological responses.

one question to start it off: describe the usefulness in tactic for striking with 'medium and long term effect'.

#153512 - 06/03/06 12:07 PM Re: Dim-Mak and other related stuff [Re: Ed_Morris]
wristtwister Offline

Quote:

describe the usefulness in tactic for striking with 'medium and long term effect'

Ed, the purpose of this genre of technique was to cause "later death" and was part of the assasination techniques of Dim Mak. If you read about the interaction of clans and between emissaries of the different countries in the area, Japan, China, and Okinawa, there was tremendous political intrique that went on, and "slow kill" strikes were used to disguise assassinations.

In a time where "road bandits" were common, an assasination could be disguised as an attempted robbery or "bandit attack" and carried out without divulging the identies of the political figures involved in ordering them. While there might be conjecture about who ordered it, usually the assasins were more than willing to take their own lives than to be captured and face their captors as prisoners.

Did it work??? who knows???

#153513 - 06/03/06 04:35 PM Re: Dim-Mak and other related stuff [Re: wristtwister]
Kosh Offline

Loc: Novo mesto, Slovenia
WOW, this thread has grown 10 pages in 5 days. Ed if nothing else, you certainly now how to stimulate discussion (whichever direction it goes).

Gavin, you mentioned extended meridians. Could you describe them? Is there any useful info on it on the net?

As for the usefulness of striking for long term effect, today it`s probably not so useful, especially for "normal" people (in contrast with WTs assasins). What use it is if my attacker gets sick or something hours after he already attacked me. I need an effect now, not later, which I think Underdog already said.

#153514 - 06/03/06 05:41 PM Re: Dim-Mak and other related stuff [Re: Kosh]
wristtwister Offline

Kosh,
hitting any of the lung points can cause immediate problems AND long term ones. The lung meridian is one of the shortest in the body and one of the most potent... plus it's pretty accessible.

If you're looking for immediate results, try punching spleen 21 or liver 14. Both places will cause problems later as well, but if you want "access" to immediate downtime for your opponent, that's a good start.

Hit'em and hit'em hard...

#153515 - 06/03/06 07:44 PM Re: Dim-Mak and other related stuff [Re: Ed_Morris]
eyrie Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: QLD, Australia
Quote:

one question to start it off: describe the usefulness in tactic for striking with 'medium and long term effect'.

I don't think it's intended primarily as a tactic, perhaps more like a side effect.

What we do in a martial context is simple: disrupt the person's ability to use power or generate power, remove their capacity to ambulate or stand up, or in the extreme, induce unconsciousness or cardiac arrest.

If you accept the TCM view that the body has an "energy" state that is in some sort of equilibrium, disrupting the energy state can cause problems down the track, if not addressed immediately.

From a medical perspective, blunt force trauma, nerve damage, internal haemorrhage, organ damage, arterial or veinous collapse, shock, etc. are likely scenarios.

However, Victor's point is particularly appropriate, since none of us here are suitably qualified to discuss this in any meaningful context without making suppositions and conjecture. Perhaps a medico (where's BuDoc?!) could suggest what the mid-long term effects might be...

#153516 - 06/03/06 11:37 PM Re: Dim-Mak and other related stuff [Re: eyrie]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

Is there currently a standard reference for indetifying all points and their short,medium,long term effects and side effects?

#153517 - 06/04/06 03:06 PM Re: Dim-Mak and other related stuff [Re: Ed_Morris]
Victor Smith Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Derry, NH
Ed,

There are various references, some costing literally hundreds of dollars. The question is are they accurate or reasonable. I have Montague's encyclopedia of Dim Mak, which cost a few, it looks very reasonable, but it took Doc almost not time at all to find medical inaccuracies in the descriptions.

And that's always the rub, if there is even one inaccuracy, how can you begin to trust any of the rest.

How can you prove such and such will do long term liver damage, or death 100% of the time as long as you're using reverse breathing, etc.

The medical profession is not in the business of verifying that technique guides/encyclopedia's are correct how to damage someone anyways.. The physicans oath first is 'Do No Harm'.

Which leave us what, personal testimony that such and such is true, or the right to conduce unethical experiments to determine how much damage occurs?

By modern definition the study of dim mak is non-ethical.

Of course you can always justify it by claiming the need for defensive purposes.

But you don't need that. The underlying principle is any body striking into any aspect of your body, is very much a bad idea, anytime, anyplace.

If you undestand that you don't need the book.

Page 14 of 16 < 1 2 ... 12 13 14 15 16 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga