FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 51 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
Dobbersky 3
MattJ 2
royal 2
ergees 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
Yesterday at 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
Yesterday at 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#152352 - 04/11/06 06:37 PM Re: 14 keys to understanding kata [Re: founderofryoute1]
oldman Offline
Professional Poster

Martin,
It is not a disappointment at all. I was cincerely interested to see if that was a factor in your process of developing of you art.

#152353 - 04/11/06 08:31 PM Re: 14 keys to understanding kata [Re: oldman]
founderofryoute1 Offline

Loc: Birmingham, UK
Ed

My objective is to understand kata. Framework, pigeon hole, call it what you will, but what makes any one set of constraints superior to any other set of constraints? I suppose if you remove all constrains then it is not possible analyse kata. However having too many makes your analyse bias. Therefore you should strip away as many constraints as possible until you have the bare minimum that allow you to analyse the kata, and that is best you can do. I guess my point is that the constraint that assumes that kata must be describing self defence could be stripped away without affecting ones ability of successfully analyse kata.

Mark

My old sensei Nathan Johnson certainly felt that Zen Buddhism was a factor in understanding kata. I felt that it clouds the issue because almost anything can be made to work in a ďZenĒ way. As far as I know he invented the idea that kata could contain double hand grappling techniques and since he influenced me, and I in turn influenced the other founders of Ryoute, I guess you could argue that Zen was a factor in the development of Ryoute.

I donít see any reason why a kata could not contain violence but I think its style would differ substantially from that of karate kata (generally speaking).

Martin

#152354 - 04/11/06 09:26 PM Re: 14 keys to understanding kata [Re: founderofryoute1]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

thats correct. as far as you know. Some seek out a knowledgable instructor...some take the path of creating a style based on what they don't know.

#152355 - 04/12/06 01:30 PM Re: 14 keys to understanding kata [Re: Ed_Morris]
founderofryoute1 Offline

The best instructor for me, is me.

Martin

#152356 - 04/12/06 03:34 PM Re: 14 keys to understanding kata [Re: founderofryoute1]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

If nobody can teach you anything that you can't teach to yourself, then why are you here on this site? surely there is nothing anyone can offer to you.
All of your arguments have been from the viewpoint that you are correct....that tells me you are not so good of a teacher for yourself yet.

#152357 - 04/14/06 09:30 AM Re: 14 keys to understanding kata [Re: Ed_Morris]
founderofryoute1 Offline

I didnít say that nobody can teach me anything that I can't teach to myself. This site has provided me with useful information. You yourself successful change my mind about taking a direction when it comes to analysis of kata. Of course Iím going to argue from the viewpoint that I am correct. As do you. I argue with myself on my own time and just because you donít get to see it doesnít mean I donít do it.

Martin

#152358 - 04/14/06 10:13 AM Re: 14 keys to understanding kata [Re: founderofryoute1]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

Fair enough. you did say 'best teacher' not 'only teacher'.

#152359 - 04/14/06 10:52 AM Re: 14 keys to understanding kata [Re: founderofryoute1]
Joss Offline
Dragon

"The best instructor for me, is me."

Learning by one's self means learning from experience. The process of doing so is limited to trial and error. Try something, decide it's a mistake, adjust, repeat, adjust, repeat, on and on. You are the mouse, in the maze, looking for the cheese.

In some endeavors this is workable. Not so much in others. In some it is quite painful and, in others, lethal. Perhaps learning to make music with a guitar, in comparison to EOD (disarming bombs), would illustrate this.

The alternative is to pursue shortcuts by using the already existing experience of others and building on it. A teacher is simply a short cut to the trial and error method. Granting a sufficiently long and healthy life span, though, a person can reach knowledge either way.

To claim that the best instructor for one's self IS one's self, however, presents a problem of logic. The existance of an instructor presupposes the presence of the student... since there really can't be an instructor without a student. To be a student is to be ignorant. To be an instructor is to have knowledge to share. How can one person be both?

#152360 - 04/14/06 09:05 PM Re: 14 keys to understanding kata [Re: Joss]
wristtwister Offline
like a chiropractor, only evil

Loc: South Carolina
Quote:

To be a student is to be ignorant.

That must be why Professor Kano began wearing a "double wide" white belt when he was promoted. We are all "ignorant" at some level, no matter how long we train. Professor Kano knew that he was a beginner on another level no matter how far he progressed.

To consider yourself as having "mastered" an art is only arrogance, for there is always another level to be developed. That is why traditional arts have such a diversity in applications, while having such similarity in technique "at some level".

If the best teacher for me is me, then there is a fool for the teacher and a fool for the student, for MA skills are developed between combatants. Unless you're schizophrenic, you're going to have trouble being all things to yourself.

I used to be schizophrenic, but now, I'm okay... and so am I...

edited to fix quote

Edited by MattJ (04/18/06 05:31 PM)

#152361 - 04/14/06 10:13 PM Re: 14 keys to understanding kata [Re: wristtwister]
Joss Offline
Dragon

We are all...students.

Some have just studied longer than others.

"...MA skills are developed between combatants."

Well. Yeah. There is that too.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga