FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 34 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bartfast, ZapEm, AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc
22906 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 8
AndyLA 5
Ed_Morris 4
ergees 2
VDJ 2
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
New Topics
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Recent Posts
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ed_Morris
Yesterday at 09:58 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
Yesterday at 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Dobbersky
08/11/14 05:03 AM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
Forum Stats
22906 Members
36 Forums
35571 Topics
432477 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#152293 - 03/29/06 03:22 PM Re: The Green Dragon Society Website [Re: JCM]
Tienying Offline

Quote:

Hi Tienying,

I have a few questions for you.

1) What motivates you to train in said fashion?
2) Why doesnt anyone from your school come and fight in the UFC or Pride? I mean you guys are already doing blood matches why not do UFC? You guys can prove yourselves plus put yourselves on the map... like the Gracies did. Be great for recruitment plus the money , fame and the ladies are a nice fringe benefit:)
3) Is there any focus on the betterment of one self or your community or is the focus just to be a accomplished fighter?

Ni hao ma Brother.

I am sorry i haven't been here in awhile.

To answer question number one: Well it has always been this way and while that isnt a good reason in itself, I can say that after i had fought this way to earn my 1st instructor title, I began to work in a max prison and trust me, having to do battle full contact came in handy i can say there is a certain level of respect you learn to have for your temple brothers & sisters and what can happen in such an uncertain environment such as our matches they may allow you not to be shocked when it happens on the streets.

Question 2:Well this one is simple. As a Taoist minded master, I have little use for fame for my ability (not that I am anymore exceptional than a beginner). I realized long ago that, while i can show multitudes of students the door, when i pass this world my particular method of combat will be done with...sure I will be survived by my students but even my son wont share the same experiences that i did to develop the skills I value. he will that the formula and develop his own method and pass that on. With that said, i require no fame. Besides with the exception of the some particpants, I think that the UFC did nearly irreparable harm to the vision of martial arts here in the US. There are fighting masters and teaching masters...or both. Those that are both...dont bother with such things becuase they became fighters by accident or thru need of survival.

Question 3: My path is simple. Now that I have been at this for long, I realize that I have only learned to hold a Horse stance and make a great cup of tea for my friends. Ohh and to dance

Zai Jian.

#152294 - 05/13/07 12:05 AM Re: The Green Dragon Society Website [Re: Kempoman]
hochigen3 Offline
Stranger

I was a ho chi gen at the green dragon. I started when I WAS 12. All I can say was I am glad I was not there when Jim koncevic was killed, I had acedemic issues and my mother told me to hold off until my grades went up. I was at the Fullerton school when Riverview roller rink burnt to the ground. I was a third instructor for one of the baddest schools there was. We finally lost are license rights when aree school was busted for weapons violations @ our Sheriden school.

#152295 - 05/13/07 12:19 AM Re: The Green Dragon Society Website [Re: Kempoman]
hochigen3 Offline
Stranger

No you are dead wrong! It was the cobra hall of the Green Dragon Society which was later moved to Montrose and Cicero Which I was second instrucor to ,and one of 4 Black cobras. Allmost ten years of my life. Loved every second except learning through pain!

#152296 - 05/13/07 12:39 AM Re: The Green Dragon Society Website [Re: Tienying]
hochigen3 Offline
Stranger

How do you grade! How deep you fingers went into there eyes!How many balls in your hand! This is a street fighting art.

#152297 - 05/13/07 01:00 AM Re: The Green Dragon Society Website [Re: Kempoman]
hochigen3 Offline
Stranger

How about fighting with a master who breaks up the fight with a bo if it gets out of hand.You would have to be there!
Trust me you wouldn't.

#152298 - 05/14/07 07:16 AM Re: The Green Dragon Society Website [Re: hochigen3]
Fisherman Offline
Veteran

Loc: Colorado, USA
How about quoting what you are referring to so it makes a bit more sense?

#152299 - 05/16/07 04:42 AM Re: The Green Dragon Society Website [Re: Fisherman]
JimmySmith Offline

Loc: Australia
Wow this has gotten out of hand... a lot of unqualified MA style bashing (no supporting evidence)... Firstly from the site itself "...he receives the first rank. He is trusted as a loyal, hardworking student, though he may be the equivalent of a Black Belt in Karate!!!!!!!" Apparantly you can be awesome after 1-3 years of study (while I tend to actually agree at times, 1-3 years is nothing compared to 10+ years under good instruction, I don't care what MA you study). Exactly which green dragon did quantitative studies and bothered to fight a test group of great enough size to statistically say after 1-3 years you could be as good as a Black belt?... weird. And it gets worse, Kempoman... "lthough I think I understand what you are saying, I am not sure I understand the term 'cover' art. Does it mean a crude or rudimentary style like TKD?" I'm pretty sure you've just insulted about a million practitioners of TKD. TKD is based strongly on physics, while I don't agree with a lot of what they do, preferring to focus strongly on upper body rather than legs, TKD is far from "Crude" and has paid an aweful lot of attention to body mechanics. How about everyone has a try at not generalising for two seconds? Cheers

Edited by JimmySmith (05/16/07 04:44 AM)

#152300 - 05/16/07 10:11 AM Re: The Green Dragon Society Website [Re: JimmySmith]
pepto_bismol Offline
infinite kudos

Quote:

Wow this has gotten out of hand... a lot of unqualified MA style bashing (no supporting evidence)... Firstly from the site itself "...he receives the first rank. He is trusted as a loyal, hardworking student, though he may be the equivalent of a Black Belt in Karate!!!!!!!" Apparantly you can be awesome after 1-3 years of study (while I tend to actually agree at times, 1-3 years is nothing compared to 10+ years under good instruction, I don't care what MA you study). Exactly which green dragon did quantitative studies and bothered to fight a test group of great enough size to statistically say after 1-3 years you could be as good as a Black belt?... weird. And it gets worse, Kempoman... "lthough I think I understand what you are saying, I am not sure I understand the term 'cover' art. Does it mean a crude or rudimentary style like TKD?" I'm pretty sure you've just insulted about a million practitioners of TKD. TKD is based strongly on physics, while I don't agree with a lot of what they do, preferring to focus strongly on upper body rather than legs, TKD is far from "Crude" and has paid an aweful lot of attention to body mechanics. How about everyone has a try at not generalising for two seconds? Cheers

wow, I actually have some tapes from a green dragon school, my uncle has all sorts of ma tapes... I used the tapes for power development and still use some of the movements today. I actually enjoyed the exercises, but they were strikingly similar to hung gar, if anybody is interested I can try to convert the tapes to dvd, then put them on youtube for you to analyze.

and I think the cover arts would be like learning pak mei then moving on to the SECRET TIGER CLAW style... or something like that.

it's just that TKD is so main stream... that I can see how it could be considered a rudimentary style.

#152301 - 05/24/07 03:43 PM Re: The Green Dragon Society Website [Re: pepto_bismol]
Tienying Offline

Quote:

Quote:

wow, I actually have some tapes from a green dragon school, my uncle has all sorts of ma tapes... I used the tapes for power development and still use some of the movements today. I actually enjoyed the exercises, but they were strikingly similar to hung gar, if anybody is interested I can try to convert the tapes to dvd, then put them on youtube for you to analyze.

and I think the cover arts would be like learning pak mei then moving on to the SECRET TIGER CLAW style... or something like that.

it's just that TKD is so main stream... that I can see how it could be considered a rudimentary style.

Ni hao all! I hope that all of you are doing well and are following your path to the best of your ability.

Now, I think that the tapes you are referring to from your Uncle are from the Green Dragon Studios in Ohio. The Green Dragon Society of Chicago was not affiliated with them. As an aside, please remember this...there are no truly superior arts...just superior practioners. Yes...some arts contain deeper lessons and training...but that really doesn't matter. I have been blessed to bask in the wisdom of many great teachers of the WAY...including Tae Kwon Do Masters. Never get in the act of dishonoring yourself or your art...by saying any art is lesser.

Ho Chi Jen...well met. You can find my school site at www.chitaogungfu.org. I will only say this: My school and path is built upon a promise to a great lady and teacher, that left us. We teach from the path of truth and without smoke and mirrors. The path is hard...but I can honestly say that it is true and rewarding. ANY past honorably 'dispensed 'proponents of Chi Tao Gung Fu are most welcome to contact and visit us there. WE JUST ASK THAT EGOS AND POSTERING BE LEFT AT THE DOOR. Walk in Peace...and remember that if we fail to selfless share and impart the traditions of the arts, it can be said that we wasted every moment of our training..just my few coins. Take care.

Edited by Tienying (05/24/07 04:03 PM)

#152302 - 05/24/07 04:21 PM Re: The Green Dragon Society Website [Re: Tienying]
Prizewriter Offline
Professional Poster

Just a brief point: The link at the very start of this thread for the Green Dragon Society no longer works.

Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Cord, Gavin, JasonM, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga