FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 36 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LeroyCFischer, JadeKing, Beefcake, WesJones, simonajones111
22933 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
charlie 2
futsaowingchun 2
Matakiant 1
William_Bent 1
simonajones111 1
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
New Topics
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
MA style video library
by
03/22/06 03:18 PM
Recent Posts
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
MA style video library
by charlie
11/11/14 04:05 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/29/14 10:01 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Forum Stats
22933 Members
36 Forums
35589 Topics
432521 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#152273 - 01/15/06 12:57 PM Re: The Green Dragon Society Website [Re: Tienying]
JCM Offline

Hi Tienying,

I have a few questions for you.

1) What motivates you to train in said fashion?
2) Why doesnt anyone from your school come and fight in the UFC or Pride? I mean you guys are already doing blood matches why not do UFC? You guys can prove yourselves plus put yourselves on the map... like the Gracies did. Be great for recruitment plus the money , fame and the ladies are a nice fringe benefit:)
3) Is there any focus on the betterment of one self or your community or is the focus just to be a accomplished fighter?

Edited by JCM (01/15/06 12:58 PM)

#152274 - 01/15/06 04:11 PM Re: The Green Dragon Society Website [Re: JCM]
ShikataGaNai Offline
Veteran

Loc: Bellingham, WA
This kind of sounds like a troll trolling a troll.

#152275 - 01/15/06 06:45 PM Re: The Green Dragon Society Website [Re: ShikataGaNai]
JCM Offline

Quote:

This kind of sounds like a troll trolling a troll.

Sry to give you that impression but I am not trolling. I am asking valid and logical questions. Least to my mind.

The question pertain to the schools veiw points and mind frame. Also by my logic if I was willing to participate in blood matches (which I am not) I would take it a step further and get fame and fortune. So I wouldnt have to do a 9 to 5 er all week.

Sry about the confusion but clarity always falls on the hand of the poster. Myself in this case. Peace.

#152276 - 01/16/06 07:52 PM Re: The Green Dragon Society Website [Re: JCM]
ShikataGaNai Offline
Veteran

No worries. Sorry for being rude, I should have put a because I was half-joking anyway. Sarcasm doesn't translate well in posts either. I'm also leery of a lot of posts that tout one organization as the standard of all MA. I think it's cool when people give props to their schools, instructors or anyone they've had experience with, but when I see UFC I sometimes wonder if there's an agenda. I'm also honestly really burned out on the UFC's reputation as the holy sacrament of MA in the US - and I go to a school where one of their top fighters trains. I find the matches interesting, although I thought it was better back in the day, but it is essentially a meat trade and a mass-marketed commercial product. There are some incredible fighters (St. Pierre!!!), but I think alot of the fighters that go the distance are just pugilists that do well only in that particular environment. Not to dis anyone or the fans or the organization itself of course, I just think it's presence is a little over-saturating these days.
Yes, it was a good question, and I apologize for being a rude d!ck about it.

#152277 - 02/05/06 11:58 PM Re: The Green Dragon Society Website [Re: ShikataGaNai]
Savate Offline

Loc: New Jersey
You are correct about Count Dante and the crazy martial art's community in Chicago during the late 60s and 70s, because I talked to some Chicago Gaylords (a large street during that time period), and when gangs were busting out for turf on the streets, some martial art schools (Like Count Dantes, and a few others) were attacking each other's schools to prove who was the toughest in Chicago.

I know that this breaks all rules in the martial arts, but it was going on in Chicago during that time period, as it was common knowledge that Count Dante's students were willing to challenge other schools.

#152278 - 02/07/06 07:22 PM Re: The Green Dragon Society Website [Re: Savate]
ShikataGaNai Offline
Veteran

You know, I'm currently trying to gather as much information on this subject as I can. I'm thinking about doing a documentary project on it and there's only so much info on the web. if anyone reading this knows anything about it or could point me in the direction of who does (esp. if they were there) please PM me.
Dave.

#152279 - 02/12/06 03:30 PM Re: The Green Dragon Society Website [Re: ShikataGaNai]
Savate Offline

What information - Count Dante? I have information from retired gang members who state what you said about Count Dante was true, and added that come of the martial art schools in Chicago were challenging each other's schools like gang verses gang.

#152280 - 02/13/06 04:21 PM Re: The Green Dragon Society Website [Re: Savate]
ShikataGaNai Offline
Veteran

Yeah, that's pretty much what i was getting at. It's interesting to me to explore all the dark and negative channels martial arts have followed as well as the positive (which are the majority IMO). Count Dante was incredibly anomolous in MA philosophy and I feel compelled to know more.
Thanks.

#152281 - 02/14/06 01:54 AM Re: The Green Dragon Society Website [Re: ShikataGaNai]
Savate Offline

There are so many stories involving Chicago and the martial arts. There was a gang that was robbing people on the EL, so Chicago Police put an uncover Officer on the EL to catch the gang, only have him get beaten up by a gang of trained martial artists who were doing the robbing.

It got so bad in Chicago, that a gang member that I know (who was also a practicing martial artist) had to lie to his instructor about being in a gang. Some martial art instructors even had Chicago Police do background checks before they accepted some new students.

There was a martial arts instructor who taught Tae Kwon Do, and used his classes as place to recruit new talent for his gang.

The Green Dragon story that was known among the gang members was that Green Dragon was a "Closed Door" school that had a hardcore reputation, and the count Dante decided to challenge the school. So like the article said, they posed as police to gain entry to the school. What happened is sketchy, but I heard the version of the story that one of Count Dante's blackbelts was killed by a Green Dragon student without a weapon, in a pure barehanded fight.

It was common knowledge back in the 1970s that when you opened up a school in Chicago that you could be challenged, and closed door matches were held before full contact was even a sport. Chicago is a beautiful city, but the tough areas of the city are extremely tough, and you never knew how much knowledge the guy you were fighting had to offer.

#152282 - 02/14/06 09:05 AM Re: The Green Dragon Society Website [Re: Savate]
Fisherman Offline
Veteran

Loc: Colorado, USA
This thread has me interested in finding more information on Count Dante. I did a quick search and this is some of the information that I came up with.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Count_Dante

In this information about Count Dante I see no mention of a Green Dragon Society. Is this conflicting info? I do see mention of a Green Cobra Hall. Was the Count's Black Dragon Society at war with the Green Dragon Society? Was the Green Dragon Society around at the same time as the Count's society?
Pretty interesting stuff. It seems reminicent of some of the plots and story lines in kung fu movies!

Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Cord, Gavin, JasonM, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga