FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 47 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 4
Ronin1966 3
GojuRyuboy13 2
Matakiant 1
cxt 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
Recent Posts
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
Today at 07:20 AM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35582 Topics
432510 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#150826 - 06/01/05 12:17 AM Re: defense against jabs [Re: SeiserL]
eyrie Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: QLD, Australia
Hi Lynn,

For the benefit of those that didn't (like myself, being so far removed down the arse end of the earth), would it be possible to impose on some of your time to share your thoughts and perspectives from the seminar, regarding this subject?

Thanks in advance,

Ignatius

#150827 - 06/01/05 02:01 PM Re: defense against jabs [Re: butterfly]
BulldogTKD Offline

Well said butterfly. I teach a lot of self-defense against a jab, but the intent of this practice is to get my students use to anticipating, timing, understanding the movement and judging distance. Catching a jab is a hard thing, but blocking, countering or defeating one is not that difficult if you understand the movement of you attacker.

#150828 - 06/01/05 04:12 PM Re: defense against jabs [Re: BulldogTKD]
Subedei Offline

I would simply deflect, evade and counterattack against a jab.

If you're intent on not hurting them then I'd suggest not attempting to grab it head on. Evade in a circular pattern, rotating your back foot around the front. It does not matter how fast the attack is. When it comes you will not be there. Attempt to grab the punch on the same line that it approaches you. Catching something as it's traveling away from you is vastly easier than catching it as it travels towards you. At this point, however, I'm not sure why you'd attempt to grab their hand when there are much better ways to throw, lock, and pin them.

#150829 - 06/02/05 10:34 AM Re: defense against jabs [Re: eyrie]
SeiserL Offline

Loc: Marietta, GA
Quote:

would it be possible to impose on some of your time to share your thoughts and perspectives from the seminar, regarding this subject?Thanks in advance, Ignatius

Todd James had us focus on maia (distance) and irimi (entering) to the inside and outside, alwasy taking kuzushi (balance). One exercise we were proactive, taking ikkyu before a punch was thrown. Very well done seminar and thought provoking about why we don't train more against common strikes. Was one of my highlights of the Expo. A good man too.

#150830 - 06/02/05 09:17 PM Re: defense against jabs [Re: SeiserL]
eyrie Offline
Professional Poster

Thank you for the insight Lynn. Good stuff! It's reassuring to note that one should not discard the basic principles on which the art is based.

As to why we don't train more against common strikes? I think it's because aikido is a "principle-based hierarchy" as opposed to a "technical hierarchy".

Therefore the technical forms that are practised in [most] aikido, are merely vehicles for movement exploration, as opposed to learning a bunch of "canned" responses to standard attacks.

PS: On Aikiweb, you mentioned that you were in the process of putting together some notes and thoughts on your experience of Aiki Expo 05. Grateful if you could cross post it here at some stage. Thanks in advance.

#150831 - 06/03/05 04:00 PM Re: defense against jabs [Re: CdkwaN]
schanne Offline
breaks things

Loc: Woodbury NJ
Not much Aikido training but just the good old parry works well, HANDS UP! parry spining back fist is nice too. The jab is super quick and I can't picture many Aikido move to counter the jab. Although, I can picture the Aikido guys moving from side to side or circling around the uke while he is trying to jab. If there are some nice Aikido counters to the jab i hope some one will post them.

#150832 - 06/05/05 06:12 PM Re: defense against jabs [Re: butterfly]
KiDoHae Offline
Former Moderator

Butterfly,

I must say that your comments were both temperate and reasonable. Based on my experience I believe I would concur with your assessment.

As a mere mortal, I find "catching" fast straight punches such as a jab, well, rather difficult. I have trained it for years and only on the occassional (translates to rare ) instances can I actually do it against someone while sparring. In those instances I believe it was because the punch was slow, telegraphed or just the wrong thing for my opponent to do at the time. I would not look to employ it as a technique outside of the dojo unless any of these things happen to occur.

So..., like Schanne, I rely primarily on parrying/deflecting or evasion with some one who is reasonably good with their hands. That's most people .

The essense of "aiki" (IMHO) is to capitalize on an opponents extended energy. It looks pretty in the movies and in the dojo but I'll take mine ugly , which is how it usually works out.

Nice topic.

#150833 - 06/05/05 08:46 PM Re: defense against jabs [Re: KiDoHae]
eyrie Offline
Professional Poster

Most aikido waza is practised at a fraction of "normal" speed. (Whatever "normal" means...)

Think of it as "slow motion replay", if you like. In any case, what "looks" like a "grab", usually isn't. "Good aikido" (again, whatever that means), aims to come off the line, parry/deflect, and redirect. This grossly translates to irimi-tenkan - enter and pivot. Not "twirl" the person around - that's, well, kinda like *dancing*....

So no matter how fast the jab is coming at you, if you can read the body language (like butterfly previously mentioned), you should already be "inside the movement" and controlling the *whole body*, not just the hand/arm.

If you put this in context of a sword movement (i.e. you are armed with the sword), it becomes even clearer.

FWIW, my insignificant $0.025

Ignatius

#150834 - 06/06/05 09:26 AM Re: defense against jabs [Re: eyrie]
KiDoHae Offline
Former Moderator

eyrie,

Perhaps the use of the words "catching" or "grabbing" do not accuartely reflect the nature of the movement. We all seem to fall victim the shortcomings of the written word. I guess more accurately it is simply a point where you take control of the attacker and continue on with the technique to achieve a desired result which is all part of a fluid movement. Maybe ?

It is after all, a matter of percieving a persons intnetions and reacting - moving your body or parts thereof, to react to whats coming at you. Understanding the broad concept of "ma" (again my writing skills fall short here) is the cornerstone of it.

The angle, speed, distance and height dictate what you will do. Again, I may be reading something in to this that I should not but my conception of a "jab" is a fast, head level shot - western boxing style. I find these extremely difficult to apply anything other than a parry/deflection and slip against.

A similar punch aimed at the torso is altogether different which lends itself to other opportunties. That was essentially the basis for my previous comments. Even the most skilled practitioners would find applying these techniques quite difficult to apply at anyhting beyond the slow-motion "replay" that is used to train the tehcnique in the dojo. As I mentioned before I do not discount anyone's ability to actually do it, I just find it quite difficult. That may be more of a comment on my own skill and where I'm at more than anyhting else.

At any rate, the topic and discussion is good one!

#150835 - 06/06/05 10:12 AM Re: defense against jabs [Re: KiDoHae]
eyrie Offline
Professional Poster

Did you watch the Tszyu/Hatton fight?
I only saw snippets of it, but there were several occasions where Tszyu does a duck and weave under the jab and comes in close. Occasionally he would miss the entry in and cop the cross. So no matter how much you practice, at whatever speed, it can still happen. Granted, Tszyu was probably feeling the effects of trying to lose kilos in the week before the fight, but nonetheless....

Having boxed b4, I can say unequivocally that it is virtually impossible to catch/grab a jab. All you can do is exactly what you say...or take the hit (not a good idea).

I agree, understanding the concept of "ma" is definitely one of the cornerstones. A typical jujitsu response would be to maintain ma-ai and attempt to jam/stop the knee of the lead foot - possibly "un-aiki", but effective nonetheless. It's the follow thru technique that's the tricky part, as you now have to come off the line, enter and attempt to apply a technique, perhaps a rear takedown. Timing obviously is of the essence.

As to whether this can be considered an "aiki" response. I don't see why not. Bear in mind, the way I was taught "aiki" is not predicated on applying a set response to a set attack. The technique is dictated by circumstances. Of course this raises the question as to whether such a response can be consistently reliable.

Short answer is "I don't know". All I can rely upon is my training.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga