FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 33 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bartfast, ZapEm, AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc
22906 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 6
AndyLA 5
Ed_Morris 4
futsaowingchun 3
VDJ 2
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
New Topics
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Recent Posts
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:58 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Dobbersky
08/11/14 05:03 AM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Forum Stats
22906 Members
36 Forums
35572 Topics
432478 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#149925 - 05/28/05 09:48 PM Re: A philosophical question for those who teach [Re: Victor Smith]
kenposan Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
Great post Victor, you summarized how I feel about testing very well.

My Sensei didn't test. At the end of class, it someone was being promoted, he simply annouced it. The black belt test was more of a formality. Not that it was easy, but you didn't "test" unless you were ready to pass.

#149926 - 05/28/05 10:08 PM Re: A philosophical question for those who teach [Re: Bushi_no_ki]
Victor Smith Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Derry, NH
I grant you there can be positive experiences in testing.

But in our case, the class size has always been about 25 students and it averages 15 or so show up for a given class. There are currently 2 or 3 of us conducting the class with between 50 to 70 years training between us.

We've very closly watching and directing everyones training. Our students are neither better or worse than others are, its just when I decided I would share my own studies I decided to pick an older model, one going back pre 1900, and class size has always been very small.

Having additional testing would be redundant, every class is a test in that sense, and the students are receiving constant re-inforcement.

Class is not simply training in a group. It's a full experience beginners to advanced, working together and singularily. Actually one of my students is now the instructor, and he's been with me 20 years, and I concentrate on constant re-inforcement of the smaller details.

Of course there is no right answer for everyone.

In our case all classes are unique experiences, never to be repeated. Part of the reason behind long term qualification of an instructor. Each class is a chance to explore a new facet of the art.

#149927 - 05/28/05 11:53 PM Re: A philosophical question for those who teach [Re: Victor Smith]
Bushi_no_ki Offline
Veteran

Loc: POM, Monterey CA
Victor, we've hit upon one of those many facets that aren't set in stone. Here's a related question. Since you don't test, do you have stages to a belt? If so, would you be a little more giving with a stage if you knew the student was putting forth the effort, even if that student had plateaued and wasn't really making progress?

#149928 - 05/29/05 06:22 AM Re: A philosophical question for those who teach [Re: Bushi_no_ki]
Victor Smith Offline
Professional Poster

Not teaching to the belt, you teach to the student.

All learning progresses in layers. Sometimes rising, sometimes plateauing, sometime falling. It's not linked to a belt, or to how many years you study. It's linked to our individual potentials and efforts.

I've trained with kyu testing every 3 months. People often burned the midnight oil before a test, to coast afterwards once they were promoted. That is one of the things to realize my original instructors approach had more merit.

When the belt 'promotion' signifies that the student is now ready for the next level of study, that's all it means, not that they've accomplished something that they can set aside, or slow down. Rather each promotion for the rest of their life means more work, more advanced work, more effort, etc.

A student who is stalled isn't not moving forward, they're progressing on their current level at a pace apopropriate for them.

The only purpose of a program is to teach and work. The only promise to a student is training. If someone reaches a level that they cannot progress beyond, and are not ready for more advanced study, why is it wrong for them to work on their art there.

There is nothing written that anyone must advance. And in my experience, the most long term students all reach their own level. For example most have no interest in being an instructor, and in turn ought not be an instructor.

The over all problem with rank, that has always existed, is the 'belief' is everyone will move forward.

If you closely look at how society was structured in Japan, everyone did not move forward, ever. There were many layers to ranking. For chess or flower arranging, you might progress to higher levels if your ability manifested itself.

But for societial rank, if you weren't born Samauri there was no chance to become Samauri (except perhaps hundreds of years before during the warring days, and then only by hurculean efforts).

And karate rank developed as a combination. You would rise through kyu ranks, but then at dan ranking, eventually you would find your place, and unless you were blessed, there was no place to move forward.

Which is why from the beginning rank in karate broke down and people moved on and created new Japanese systems. Later to follow in Okinawa and the rest of the world.

Studying karate is about studying karate, not acquiring rank. Rank is a minor useful tool for newbies, and irrelevenat within the dojo for the long training. All know what they know and don't know and how good they are and how good others are. Rank is meaningless in truth within the school when you're no longer new.

It's just in most places, most don't realize they're looking at the shell game, and not the hands moving the shells.

Looking at the rank and not the goal, what's underneath.

#149929 - 05/29/05 04:16 PM Re: A philosophical question for those who teach [Re: Victor Smith]
Bushi_no_ki Offline
Veteran

Loc: POM, Monterey CA
Therein lies my problem. AKK is very clear about rank. Very much an American Ideal, hence the American being part of the style name. The problem is, while it's ok to teach a snippet of information here or there (ie a brown belt technique to a purple belt) I couldn't just get my instructor to teach me Short Form three if I was still just a purple belt. That's why this is a philosophical question, because Isshin ryu Karate does have some different philosophies. AKK philosophy does make some allowances, but for the most part, you aren't supposed to just go on and learn the next set of techniques without testing on the current set first. It is, with some variance from school to school, a set curriculum. It is alot like being in school and having to fulfill the prerequisites before you can take the next course. You don't take English 3b before you can pass 2a.

#149930 - 06/01/05 03:08 AM Re: A philosophical question for those who teach [Re: Kintama]
Foolsgold Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Lyon, MI, USA
Quote:

5) you seem to be trying too hard on this forum. (I did the same thing for the first week- get it out of your system quick and then just relax)

Actually, I was on the verge of mentioning this, myself. You are averaging over ten posts a day since you started. The problem isn't in the number, it's that they are all long and thought-out (which, don't get me wrong, I appreciate).

Everybody goes through a phase like this. What I chose to do was take a week off and forget that the forum existed, and when I got back I couldn't believe how much of my life I had been investing.

Meanwhile, it's 3 in the A.M. and I'm lecturing you on forum-addiction . Seriously though, take some time off, it's good for you.

#149931 - 06/01/05 03:02 PM Re: A philosophical question for those who teach [Re: Bushi_no_ki]
BulldogTKD Offline

This is great question and something that my Sah-Bum-Nim just brought up yesterday at a meeting, and something that I had reservations about too. I think the reason that my Sah-Bum-Nim has for having the student ask permission to test is a formality and a form of respect since we have testing every two months our students know when testing is. I don’t agree with this entirely since the instructor of a class knows who is ready and who is not.

The school where I train is a Mc Do jang and I have done my best to change things. Some things have changed and some have not, but this is the only place I can train so I make the best of it. I have been in MA for a long time and I have been at a school that did not test at a regular schedule but tested when the student was ready. I also trained under an instructor and I was his only student and I never received a promotion. I think that testing at a specific time has good points and some not so good, asking to test is something that I would not have my students do if I had my own Do jang. If a student was ready to test early I would test him or her early as I would not test someone that was not ready either. If I had a student that I felt needed to test that was ready in my mind but was unsure in their mind I would test them as a way to help build their self esteem, character, and confidence.

Mr. Smith brings up a good point about teaching and testing but unfortunately too many schools are in existence only to make a buck. Testing students makes the school money and an income at a steady rate.

#149932 - 06/01/05 10:18 PM Re: A philosophical question for those who teach [Re: BulldogTKD]
Victor Smith Offline
Professional Poster

Bulldog and everyone,

The name's Victor. Mr. Smith is my father (to borrow a great line).

As for what I believe, it's just what I do. I don't worry to comment on what others do. I've observed and/or participated enough in them over the years to know it cannot be my way.

One serious thought. While I love the arts, if I couldn't practice them the way I believe in (and/or study them in the way I believe too), I would stop my participation in the arts and do something else of merit.

Life is far to short to make accomodations to lesser training, IMVHO.

The arts are but one path, and I'm often troubled by so many who are less than satisfied with their own way.

Doc says if something is causing you pain/problems, the answer is to stop doing what is hurting you.

Something else to chew on.

#149933 - 06/01/05 10:41 PM Re: A philosophical question for those who teach [Re: Victor Smith]
BulldogTKD Offline

My apologies if I offended you Victor. As for your comments:

Victor said:

“One serious thought. While I love the arts, if I couldn't practice them the way I believe in (and/or study them in the way I believe too), I would stop my participation in the arts and do something else of merit.”

“Life is far to short to make accomodations to lesser training, IMVHO.”

I love the arts and have an opportunity to change some things, and I have. I have no where else to train and every day I train and teach I get better, therefore my students get better.

Victor said:

“The arts are but one path, and I'm often troubled by so many who are less than satisfied with their own way.”

Well put.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, tkd_high_green 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga