FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 48 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
royal 2
Dobbersky 2
MattJ 2
UKfightfreak 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Topic Options
#149888 - 05/27/05 02:31 AM Wushu and Northern Shaolin and Long Fist
18lohans Offline

Anyone knows the difference between all the above? So far I gather that some of them are branches of the others... but I'm not sure how

#149889 - 05/27/05 05:50 AM Re: Wushu and Northern Shaolin and Long Fist [Re: 18lohans]
Bushi_no_ki Offline
Veteran

Loc: POM, Monterey CA
lohans, I couldn't even begin to tell you the difference. According to the article on the home page, apparently Long Fist is a Communist name for Northern style empty handed techniques, but that's the best I can give.

#149890 - 05/27/05 09:54 AM Re: Wushu and Northern Shaolin and Long Fist [Re: Bushi_no_ki]
Victor Smith Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Derry, NH
Wushu originally meant War Arts. It was used in different time periods as a reference for what we think of as Kung Fu. Since the 1950's the Chinese have taken the name and used it for their contemporary competitive arts, combining traditional technique and gymnastics. It also contains sparring divisions.

Northern Shaolin, references the Northern Shaolin Temple as being a source for many northern Chinese traditions. Apparently the 'temple' tuaght hundreds of forms, nobody learned but a fraction of what they studied. Northern Shaolin technique has low stances and often uses long range technique.

Long Fist is a generic style and a general reference for a Northern system. It seems to be interlinked to Northern Shaolin. It is also a modern WuShu group of instruction.

All these terms may be used in different ways, from generic descriptions to specific style names.

#149891 - 05/27/05 06:03 PM Re: Wushu and Northern Shaolin and Long Fist [Re: 18lohans]
BaguaMonk Offline

Loc: DALLAS TX BABY
In contrast to the souther styles, northern (and long) fists are usually also a bit more flashy. Not in a bad way, there are many theories as to why, such as the weather (warm), the height of northeners, the open space etc. But usually Northern forms have more kicks (more high kicks), and move in much larger spaces, maybe thats why you get the impression of Wushu.

#149892 - 06/04/05 03:50 PM Re: Wushu and Northern Shaolin and Long Fist [Re: 18lohans]
Tk.09 Offline

wushu is basically a general term of the many many diff styles and forms of chinese martial arts. long fist(chang quan) is one of the most representative form of northern shaolin. it is very popular among people. there's a chinese saying "south fist, north kick", indicating that southern shaolin focus more on fist style which is forceful and tough, whereas northern shaolin focus more on variety of kicks which is more swift and less forceful.

#149893 - 06/06/05 02:03 PM Re: Wushu and Northern Shaolin and Long Fist [Re: Tk.09]
18lohans Offline

What are forms within Northern Shaolin again? I remember LongFist, Cha Chuan, BaJi...

#149894 - 06/16/09 05:55 PM Re: Wushu and Northern Shaolin and Long Fist [Re: 18lohans]
Chin_Da01 Offline

Loc: Mid west
I would say the big difference between Wushu (PRC Wushu) and Beifang Chang Quan Shu (i.e. Northern Long Fist techniques ) or Shaolin Quan Shu is INTENT!

Wushu is more focused on art than prowess. But.... BUT! this depends on the school. Some Wushu schools also focus on the prowess side too. Yet Most of the PRC Wushu I've seen is a modified version of the original...stressing acrobatics artistry similar to gymnastics.

I practice a Beifang Chang Quan called Pigua Quan. All Chang Quan (long fist) have large and small movements (large and small circles) most if not all stress moving footwork. yet, not all long fist styles have a huge Tuifa (kicking methods)as believed or posses a long range strategy. They do for the most part have similar tactics and strategies in common. (very broad repertoire ... Long fist is seen as the father of all Chinese martial arts)

Some long fist styles I know of:

Chang Quan (i.e. Long Fist)
Cha Quan
Hua Quan i.e. Mountain fist
Hua Quan i.e. Flower fist
Hong Quan I.e Red fist... ala Yang Lu Chan first art
Liuhe Quan i.e six harmony fist
Pao Quan i.e cannon fist
Pigua Quan
Fanzi Quan
Nan Quan (this is the southern classification of many long fist that exists in the south)

Shaolin Fa (shaolin methods) are different than long fists... yet have many similarities (Again....probably because Long Fist is said to be the father of Chinese Quan fa, being older than Shaolin) Like long fist, they tend to have similar technics and strategies dependent on there origins (i.e. being from Northern temple or Southern temple(s)

Edited by Chin_Da01 (06/16/09 06:00 PM)

Moderator:  Cord, Gavin, JasonM, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga