FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 34 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn
22904 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 14
cxt 7
trevek 6
JKogas 5
futsaowingchun 4
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Recent Posts
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
Yesterday at 05:11 AM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:53 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
07/24/14 11:35 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Forum Stats
22904 Members
36 Forums
35564 Topics
432455 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#149768 - 05/26/05 07:17 PM Details on my most recent H.S. fight
SANCHIN31 Offline
Former Moderator

Loc: Arkansas, U.S.
Hi everyone! Just thought I'd share with you my experience in self-defense just shortly after I started karate.
It was 1991, I was in 11th grade at Northside H.S. in Ft.Smith AR.
It started with me walking down the hall and accidentally bumping into a known 'gang member'. I apologized,but he wanted to fight. I said sorry and walked off with him still talking tough.
The next day my locker door was broken off the hinges and my leather jacket and tape player/tapes were missing.The 'gang leader' moron stopped me in the hall later,told me heard what happened and wanted to know what I was going to do about it.I told him the principal knew about it and walked off.Then even later I was shoved under the back stairwell and again challenged by several of the 'gang'.Noone hit me,they just got in my face and talked trash.These intimidation tactics went on for the next week or so.Then I saw one of the gang members wearing my jacket!!
I followed him outside and helped him out of it with the use of a good privacy fence surrounding the heat/cool system.Suddenly I was yanked off him by our very large vice principal.I explained the situation,but the guy said his mom bought him the jacket for christmas.Somehow he couldn't explain why my initials were on the inside cuffs and inside pocket,so he changed his story to "I found it in the gym".
The next day I was at my locker when I was shoved from behind.I turned around to face about 6-8 of these idiots.Two of them showed me weapons (knives and small gun).
They tried to force me through the doors leading outside next to the lockers,but I broke free and ran to my car.I drove straight to my dad's job and told him what happened.
The 'gang leader' idiot was still in prison the last I heard for extra curricular activities after he dropped out.One ended up being a rapist and I don't know about the rest.Hopefully they straightened up.
I think this experience taught me avoidance and awareness.Looking back there's alot of things I would do different,but I did pretty good for a 17yr old.
Thanks for reading my boring story! You may now comment on what you would have done,how lame it is,or whatever!

p.s. These guys weren't actualy an organized gang,they just labeled themselves that to appear dangerous.

#149769 - 05/26/05 08:51 PM Re: Details on my most recent H.S. fight [Re: SANCHIN31]
Kintama Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Massachusetts
You made it out of H.S. alive and not in jail, so you did the right things at the right time.

#149770 - 05/26/05 10:00 PM Re: Details on my most recent H.S. fight [Re: SANCHIN31]
oldman Offline
Professional Poster

As they say, "living well is the best revenge". Sometimes just living is. Alot of guys I grew up with ended up in jail. One guy and two of his freinds put a good beat down on me. A few years later I'm out of school, making a fine living as an artist, beautiful wife, three great kids and a house with a Dojo.

The 3 ? two in prison, 1 bit off a guys ear, the third died on the floor of a PayLess shoe store after being shot by police while robbing it.

I would like to think that they could have made different choices.

#149771 - 05/27/05 12:33 AM Re: Details on my most recent H.S. fight [Re: oldman]
Strider_Hanzo Offline

Loc: Norwalk, CA 90650
Oh wow oldman i didn't know you went to high school with Mike Tyson

in regards to Sanchin31's post wow high school guys were tougher back then...I guess with the whole Columbine deal kids are afraid of messing with the wrong "outcast". I remember i had just started taking TKD in high school. You know i was feeling pretty arrogant and unstoppable(how dumb now that i think about it) but nonetheless still with a sound mind. Some guys in P.E. class approached me when i was getting a drink of water and wanted me to fight this little pug faced guy. I was sure i could beat his ass... and i'm still kinda sure now... he really was small.. However not wanting to gain any enemies or get in trouble i just walked away saying no thanks. Later on in the year i was playing dodgeball against a wall with some friends and that same group came up again and grabbed the ball and began trying to hit me with it( i was on the wall) however due to my aweosome dodging skills(does anyone smell VTG? ) i managed to not get hit. Anyway yeah after that they never really confronted me, but later from time to time tried to get me to flinch and other whatnot and it became a nuisance rather than a threat. I think one of them dropped out because they had impregnated some girl and the rest are either working in fast food places or maybe leading in some other types of illegal activity.

#149772 - 05/27/05 09:56 AM Re: Details on my most recent H.S. fight [Re: Strider_Hanzo]
Kintama Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Massachusetts
Thats a good observation Strider, There probably were more fights pre-90's when it was just hands and maybe pocket knives (remember 'jack knives')...once you bring WMDs into it - that changes perceptions on how far you are willing to push people....I think that had more of an effect than when the PC culture of suing started.

Think of what it meant when a kid said to another kid during the 70's and 80's "I'll kill you."

and think of a kid saying that now.

#149773 - 05/27/05 10:04 AM Re: Details on my most recent H.S. fight [Re: SANCHIN31]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Kudos to you, SANCHIN31, for trying to do the right thing. Good to hear those JA's got what they deserved as well.

#149774 - 05/31/05 02:02 AM Re: Details on my most recent H.S. fight [Re: SANCHIN31]
ButterflyPalm Offline
Enigma

Loc: Malaysia

I am a nick-picky person.

But you did say MOST RECENT H.S. fight.

This means, I think, there were fights before that, you are still in H.S. and plan on having more H.S. fights?

#149775 - 05/31/05 02:37 AM Re: Details on my most recent H.S. fight [Re: ButterflyPalm]
SANCHIN31 Offline
Former Moderator

Loc: Arkansas, U.S.
Most recent means the last H.S. fight I had,which was my most recent.Yes,there were fights before that in H.S. and a few since that weren't.
Is the only reason you posted was to comment on you not understanding the topic or do you actually have something to contribute?

#149776 - 06/01/05 09:01 AM Re: Details on my most recent H.S. fight [Re: SANCHIN31]
MAGr Offline
Veteran

Loc: London, home: Athens
I really have no idea what i would do being faced with a gun.
In retrospect, you obviously handled it well considering the result now. But do you think that they were prepared to use the gun?
If you wave a gun around you better be prepared to shoot it.
If i may comment, and i know its easy to do so as an outsider, but since we are throwing thoughts around.....I dont think you should have let it get to the stage were they threatened you with guns. The situation started in the hall a week before that incident and thats where it should have ended. Its better not to let things escalate.
With that i would like to add, that back in high school, i dont think i could have handled it as well as you did.

#149777 - 06/02/05 01:20 AM Re: Details on my most recent H.S. fight [Re: SANCHIN31]
BulldogTKD Offline

Hummm, my first high school fight wasn’t in High School at all, it was in Jr. High I hope it counts. I was at recess, recess? Well I guess it was grade school then, anyway, some kid was doing something he wasn’t suppose to do and I was a tattle and told the teacher on him. He wasn’t in my class but I saw him in line while we waited to go to the library and he pushed me and said he was going to be waiting after school for me to kick my butt. Well a teacher heard this and confronted the young lad and told him that mischief would not be tolerated. My teacher was informed of the situation and he kept me after school a bit just to make sure he was on his way home before me. My younger brother was going to the same school and he and I walked home together so nothing would happen. Well the kid was waiting for me and he jumped me while I was on the way home. It was kind of funny because I was not afraid of him and it seemed that everything was in slow motion. He started swing at me and I took him down to the ground, hay, I am a ground fighter, LOL, anyway I punched him a couple of times and we were pulled apart by someone’s dad. I turned out that this kid was the school bully and word got out that I kicked his butt and I was never bothered again by anybody. Funny, huh?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, McSensei, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga