FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 43 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
Dobbersky 2
MattJ 2
royal 2
TooNice 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#149181 - 05/25/05 10:16 PM List of Sword arts
robot Offline

Loc: NJ
I'm looking to do any kind of martial art with swords and i dont know any martial art names.So could you please list as many as you can think of so i get some options and maybe one of the arts is in my neghiborhood and i can train with them.

PEACE

Edited by robot (05/25/05 10:30 PM)

#149182 - 05/25/05 11:51 PM Re: List of Sword arts [Re: robot]
Charles Mahan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Denton, Tx, USA
You could start by heading over to http://www.koryu.com

If you want us to help you find training oppurtunities in your neck of the woods, you're gonna have to tell us where you are. You're profile says your in New Jersey. Head over to http://www.swordforum.com and http://www.e-budo.com and search for New Jersey. Look particularly for Iaido, Kenjutsu, Kendo, and Iaijutsu. There is stuff to be had, I just can't recall the details off the top of my head.

Edited by Charles Mahan (05/25/05 11:56 PM)

#149183 - 05/26/05 01:03 AM Re: List of Sword arts [Re: robot]
Benjamin1986 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Republic of Texas
Kung-Fu - Shaolin especially. They use both the Dao (a heavy saber) and Jian (double edged cut&thrust), as well as other weapons. Some schools teach some things and some don't.

Kenjitsu - Litterally, the art of the sword, includes all the katana arts, encompassing a broad range of styles. It focuses on drills, while some schools also have cutting exercises. Main weapon: bokken (wooden katana) and katana for cutting practice. Very few schools have two bladed arts (Unless you are in Seattle or Canada, forget it)

Iaido - Specific part of kenjitsu, the art of the katana draw. Also called Iaijitsu and Battojitsu. Uses mostly an iaito (unsharpened katana), with advanced students using sharpened blades.

Kendo - the sport version of Japanese swordplay. It consists mostly of armored duels with bamboo shinai.

Fencing - Moving westward, we get to a Franco-Italian style. It is armored combat along a strip with one of three weapons, foil, epee, and saber. Foil and epee are stabbing only, while saber is slashing. Electric scoring has moved things a bit far from their original intentions, especially in foil, but recent changes to timings should make things better.

The SCA - A group of people who teach various weapon arts including sword and shield, rapier and dagger, and broadsword. There is only one problem with them. I have been thoroughly unimpressed by any SCA group I have seen. The stretches are seconds long and useless, the techniques are showy, but ineffective, and their people were thoroughly slaughtered by two fencers that I know with minimal effort. I would suggest you avoid them and anyone else who teaches "Combat" swordsmanship.

There are other styles certainly, including Philipine swordmanship, but I'm not very familiar with them. The ones listed above are the big players on the field.

Kendo and Fencing are probably the most active and exciting of all of them, but are furthest removed from actual swordplay. Iaido, on the other hand, is very true to the katana, but many of its own masters has said that it should be like watching paint dry.

Good luck finding a school.

#149184 - 05/26/05 11:56 AM Re: List of Sword arts [Re: robot]
freakyfencer Offline

Loc: Washington DC, USA
Just my suggestion... seek out any Fencing Salles near you. It is quite a bit different from the Eastern sword arts, but it is a very fulfilling and challening art. If you do not enjoy the concept of electric scoring in modern fencing, there are classical fencing classes that teach weapons in the forms of dueling and combat, rather than with the FIE rules. My Salle in particular teaches many different types of classical weapons including the Rapier, The Longsword, and even the Katana.

#149185 - 05/26/05 10:23 PM Re: List of Sword arts [Re: robot]
tao_majick Offline

Loc: Bradenton, FL, USA
Krabi Krabong is the Thai weapons art. It teaches you how to use the Krabi (Thai sword), The Plong (Staff), Ngao (bladed staff), Daab Song Meu (Twin Swords), and Mae Sawk Sun (Twin Clubs). It also includes techniques from Muay Thai. There is also Kumdo which is the Korean version of Kendo...there are differences, but I wouldn't really know coz I don't take Kumdo.

#149186 - 05/26/05 10:47 PM Re: List of Sword arts [Re: robot]
FuzzyVikingBear Offline

Might wanna try doing some research at www.thearma.org, if you're interested in western swordfighting. I've read a book by the founder, and he knows his stuff. Then again, maybe you're part of the majority in here, and are interested in eastern swordfighting (can't us westerners get a fair shake? ).

Edited by FuzzyVikingBear (05/26/05 10:52 PM)

#149187 - 05/27/05 12:04 PM Re: List of Sword arts [Re: FuzzyVikingBear]
freakyfencer Offline

Quote:

(can't us westerners get a fair shake? ).

Amen to that, lol.

Edited by freakyfencer (05/27/05 12:05 PM)

#149188 - 05/28/05 12:04 AM Re: List of Sword arts [Re: freakyfencer]
tao_majick Offline

Loc: Bradenton, FL, USA
I would try western fencing...but I couldn't find any place in my neck of the woods...hell it took me forever to find the kendo dojo I'm at now. I think it's fair to say.. Anyone who can find a place that teaches any kind of sword art be it eastern or western...you're lucky! hehehehehe

PEACE!

#149189 - 05/28/05 12:47 AM Re: List of Sword arts [Re: robot]
FuzzyVikingBear Offline

well, if you're interested in learning the arts of the Viking longsword, there's a video by Hank Reinhardt on it. You check it out here: http://www.paladin-press.com/detail.aspx?ID=925
Enjoy!

#149190 - 05/28/05 02:31 AM Re: List of Sword arts [Re: robot]
Nagamaki Offline

Loc: Southeast Asia
Quote:

I'm looking to do any kind of martial art with swords and i dont know any martial art names.So could you please list as many as you can think of so i get some options and maybe one of the arts is in my neghiborhood and i can train with them.

PEACE

if it Japanese sword art try koryu.com as what was suggested by Charles Mahan. its loaded with useful infos

Filipino Martail Arts (eskrima-arnis) can also be a form of sword style.

If you could be more specific, it would help a lot

Edited by Nagamaki (05/28/05 02:33 AM)

#149191 - 05/28/05 09:42 AM Re: List of Sword arts [Re: Nagamaki]
Belnick Offline
Veteran

Loc: SWEDEN
what about medieval swordplay, if not The SCA , then what style train that ?

#149192 - 05/28/05 01:23 PM Re: List of Sword arts [Re: tao_majick]
freakyfencer Offline

Quote:

I would try western fencing...but I couldn't find any place in my neck of the woods...hell it took me forever to find the kendo dojo I'm at now. I think it's fair to say.. Anyone who can find a place that teaches any kind of sword art be it eastern or western...you're lucky! hehehehehe

PEACE!

Yes, that's true. I was very fortunate that one of the top Fencing schools in the country is 15 minutes away from my house. Most people really do have to search around.

#149193 - 05/28/05 01:29 PM Re: List of Sword arts [Re: Belnick]
freakyfencer Offline

Many Fencing Academies are starting to teach historical swordplay without being related to the SCA. The SCA is showy and is generally ineffective, but most of the academies that teach historical weapons teach Medieval battle weapons such as the Longsword.

#149194 - 05/28/05 03:12 PM Re: List of Sword arts [Re: freakyfencer]
FuzzyVikingBear Offline

The longsword, you say? I must ask, what type?

#149195 - 05/28/05 06:31 PM Re: List of Sword arts [Re: freakyfencer]
robot Offline

Loc: NJ
Fencing or Kenjitsu to be more specific.

#149196 - 05/28/05 07:46 PM Re: List of Sword arts [Re: FuzzyVikingBear]
freakyfencer Offline

I am think they teach in the French style, but since I do not actually take the historical class I'm not sure.

#149197 - 05/28/05 11:22 PM Re: List of Sword arts [Re: freakyfencer]
Nik_Miller Offline

As far as longsword fencing goes. The most commonly practiced Is the german style and the itialian style, I belive there are were some english masters who left books too(sliver to name one) Though some would argue(and I agree) that all of those "styles" are one masters take on one art. Afterall italy and germany were both the holy roman empire at the time when longsword was used the most. The major differance between italian and german is that the germans tend to stay at the sword, or in a bind more. That is useing techniques while the swords are touching. While italians tend to be much more Parry riposte oriented. But each style has elements of the other. I myself study the techniques described by Johannes Liechtenauer and his line of students which is the primary source for all of the "german" techniques. Books that i recomend on the subject can be found here: http://www.revival.us/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=216

They have the best books on both itialian and german styles as well as other arts besides the longsword.

As a side note A long sword is generally described as a sword that has a hilt anywhere from 7 inches to 11 inches and a blades rangeing from 34 inches to upwards of 40 inches. In the historical treatises the germans are illustrated useing swords on the longer end of the spectrum, while italians and english seem to prefer the shorter swords. which makes sense because a shorter lighter sword crosses and uncrosses quicker lending itself to the parry and riposte style better. while the longer swords are better to work from the bind or crossed swords.

To clarify a bit; working from the bind or Am Schwert(at the sword) consisted of moveing the sword to various postitions trying to get your point online for the thrust, or to cut them from their blade, or slice them from thier blade. And those types of techniques are called winding, which are almost exclusive to the german styles. Now I know it might seem stupid to say at the sword instead of disengaging and finding another oppening(which the germans did do if neccisary) but look at it this way: Its like the old conflict between grappler and striker. even if your a striker(parry and riposte) you still need to know how to effectivly counter a grappler(winden am schwert). Well enough rambling on my part. buy the books or go to www.swordforum.com to learn more from more knowledgable people.

#149198 - 05/29/05 03:14 AM Re: List of Sword arts [Re: robot]
Nagamaki Offline

Quote:

Fencing or Kenjitsu to be more specific.

although most listed here are koryuJSA
some like Tenshin Katori Shinto Ryu have a very wide curriculum

iai, naginata, taijutsu, ect.

similar to Hyoho Niten Ichiryu which includes jitte and bo, same goes to Daito Ryu Aikijujutsu which includes other weapons.

Asayama Ichiden-ryu heiho
Daito-ryu aikijujutsu
Hokushin Itto-ryu kenjutsu
Hyoho Niten Ichi-ryu kenjutsu
Kage-ryu battojutsu
Kashima Shinden Jikishinkage-ryu kenjutsu
Kashima Shinryu kenjutsu
Kashima Shinto-ryu kenjutsu
Katayama Hoki-ryu iaijutsu
Kogen Itto-ryu kenjutsu
Kurama-ryu kenjutsu
Maniwa Nen-ryu kenjutsu
Mizoguchi-ha Itto-ryu kenjutsu
Mugai-ryu iaijutsu
Muso Jikiden Eishin-ryu iaijutsu
Muso Shinden-ryu iaijutsu
Ono-ha Itto-ryu kenjutsu
Sekiguchi Shinshin-ryu jujutsu
Shingyoto-ryu kenjutsu
Shinmuso Hayashizaki-ryu battojutsu
Shinto Muso-ryu jojutsu
Shojitsu Kenri Kataichi-ryu battojutsu
Sosuishitsu-ryu jujutsu
Suio-ryu kenjutsu
Tamiya-ryu iaijutsu
Tatsumi-ryu heiho
Tenjin Shinyo-ryu jujutsu
Tenshin Shoden Katori Shinto-ryu heiho
Toyama-ryu battojutsu
Uchida-ryu tanjojutsu
Yagyu Seigo-ryu battojutsu
Yagyu Shinkage-ryu hyoho

the info was taken from koryubooks.com

#149199 - 05/29/05 04:15 AM Re: List of Sword arts [Re: Nagamaki]
glad2bhere Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Lindenhurst, Illinois USA
This may sound like a flippant answer but its not meant that way.

You also my want to check out re-enactment, as well as theatrical groups. These are not so much historically accurate all the time but usually have an eye towards visual impact and can be a lot of fun without necessarily having to become involved in swordsmanship at a more serious organizational level. I had a chance to do some research with a person who had a theatrical sword background and it was all good fun as he was flexible enough to stand-in for me as a kind of "vanilla" sword partner while I worked on various research issues. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

#149200 - 05/29/05 04:37 AM Re: List of Sword arts [Re: glad2bhere]
Nagamaki Offline

Quote:

This may sound like a flippant answer but its not meant that way.

You also my want to check out re-enactment, as well as theatrical groups. These are not so much historically accurate all the time but usually have an eye towards visual impact and can be a lot of fun without necessarily having to become involved in swordsmanship at a more serious organizational level. I had a chance to do some research with a person who had a theatrical sword background and it was all good fun as he was flexible enough to stand-in for me as a kind of "vanilla" sword partner while I worked on various research issues. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

thinking about it according to Hyakutake Sensei some to the practitioners of Hyoho Niten Ichiryu in Kyushu are also performers (KENBU)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Charles Mahan, Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga