FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 167 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
MattJ 2
royal 2
Dobbersky 2
UKfightfreak 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#148460 - 06/25/05 10:25 PM Re: Wing Chun and Ground fighting [Re: monji112000]
Fangshendo Offline

Loc: Ottawa Ontario Canada
When you fight"on the street" you are fighting with no rules,no ref and no points.What are the odds a fight will go to the ground?If you or your opponent is skilled in any kind of fighting,the odds are good.Any style that says "stand up" or grappling is the only way to fight is missing the mark.

#148461 - 06/25/05 10:46 PM Re: Wing Chun and Ground fighting [Re: monji112000]
Fangshendo Offline

Loc: Ottawa Ontario Canada
I don't want to be disrespectful,but do you people fight as if your life depended on it,or do you all fight for points?This style vs that,ground vs striking this weapon vs that weapon,how about fighting to win? Martial arts are not what you see on the screen,martial arts were developed to combat an overwhelming force either in numbers or technology using what tools were available.To fight, all ranges must be addressed;weapons,kicking,striking,grappling,trapping and psycological.

#148462 - 06/25/05 10:58 PM Re: Wing Chun and Ground fighting [Re: Fangshendo]
specter Offline

Loc: Tampa, Fl.
Hey i have a question for you: Why would a groundfighter get into a streetfight with you in the first place? if he is truly a martial artist he wont be trying to get into fights. why would it matter in the first place? do you expect to be attacked by a bjj fighter? why is that even important? if you are attacked or mugged by a common street thug i dont think the mugger will have practiced bjj or ANY martial arts of any kind for that matter. so why do you need to be able to fight a ground fighter? is that a very realistic thing to think that youre going to be attacked by a groundfighter? to be in a street fight or bar fight i expect you have to be a bit of an a**hole. just dont make people angry and it wont be likely that youll be attacked.

#148463 - 06/26/05 10:40 AM Re: Wing Chun and Ground fighting [Re: specter]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
*slaps head*

Specter -

Do you know how many people in the USA have done wrestling?

Wrestling is taught from grade school up to college. Lots of guys (and more and more women) have done wrestling. So actually, it is quite realistic to think that you may be attacked by a ground fighter.

It is very likely in a street fight that you may end up on the ground by intent or accident. My own (admittedly limited) experience has shown that at least 50% of my brawls ended up on the ground, one way or the other.

#148464 - 06/26/05 12:11 PM Re: Wing Chun and Ground fighting [Re: MattJ]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
Matt, you are DEAD on man.

-John

#148465 - 06/26/05 01:21 PM Re: Wing Chun and Ground fighting [Re: MattJ]
butterfly Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Torrance, CA
I agree with Matt too.

The other thing Spectre, is that what you "expect" and what really happens are two different things. Just because you didn't expect the guy to bring a knife or gun, doesn't mean it's not going to happen.

-B

#148466 - 06/26/05 05:07 PM Re: Wing Chun and Ground fighting [Re: butterfly]
someotherguy Offline

I think a large problem is the reluctance of many practitioners to move backwards when faced with someone moving in for a grab of some kind. All the videos demonstrate the "stand up" practitioner failing to move backwards or out of the way, and failing to mount any attack upon the telegraphed step in leg.

I think it is of benefit to prevent a fight going to the ground, and this is done poorly by many fighters, but you must of course also be prepared for a possible ground fight.

#148467 - 06/26/05 05:26 PM Re: Wing Chun and Ground fighting [Re: MattJ]
MAGr Offline
Veteran

Loc: London, home: Athens
Yes ok, half of the US has done wrestling but....

a. some of us are not in the US.

b. Most of those wrestlers that encompass the group you are talking about are crap.

c. Yes brawls end up on the ground but most of the time its not because of someone grabbing you its because someone got knocked down, well I am trained to do the knocking.

These are just counter points, I am not saying that fights do not go down to the ground but like you said half of them do, so what about the other half. If you want to be a complete fighter you have to train at all ranges.

#148468 - 06/27/05 01:08 PM Re: Wing Chun and Ground fighting [Re: someotherguy]
Gula Offline

Quote:

I think it is of benefit to prevent a fight going to the ground.

This easier said than done.

Most times the takedown is timed to the point where you either are covering from punches when you have a limited vision and balance or when you strike. When you start to deliver the punch you have your feet planted to the ground wich reduces your reaction time to "move out of the way".. so in my experience if one shoots your legs the most effective way is to sprawl.

#148469 - 07/11/05 10:09 PM Re: Wing Chun and Ground fighting [Re: MAGr]
kusojiji Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: kokokokokoko
Quote:

Yes ok, half of the US has done wrestling but....

b. Most of those wrestlers that encompass the group you are talking about are crap.

Well, wouldn't the "crap" have an advantage over the "no idea whatsoever"?
Optional signature you may use to appear at bottom of your posts. Note: The Signature feature is currently not enabled by this bulletin board's administrator. You may use UBB Code in this field, but not HTML. The UBB Code Image tag is not permitted, however.

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Cord, Gavin, JasonM, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga