FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 49 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 3
Ronin1966 3
GojuRyuboy13 2
ergees 1
swordy 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
10/22/14 07:20 AM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35582 Topics
432510 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Topic Options
#147100 - 05/20/05 07:18 PM College study for law enforcement
SANCHIN31 Offline
Former Moderator

Loc: Arkansas, U.S.
Hi all! I like the advice you all have given ket for his goals. Perhaps I can milk you guys for myself.
I'm 31 and currently work as a Q.A tech.I've done factory work all of my adult life :eek: Mostly computerizd numerical control machine operations. I joined the National guard when I was 24 and enjoy it very much. The problem is the place I work at now is moving everything to China sometime in the next few months. I feel I need to go back to school if I want to start a career in law enforcement. I've had courses before but nothing pertaining to that field.(CNC I+II,autocad,smartcam,etc,)and I do not have a degree. The guard will pay %100 tuition for school so cost won't be the problem,but what should I study? Someone told me spanish. What other steps should I take to get involved with law enforcement?
Thanks for reading and I appreciate your advice and responses!

#147101 - 05/21/05 04:34 PM Re: College study for law enforcement [Re: SANCHIN31]
Fletch1 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Florida
Your local Community (2 yr) College will likely have a program for people interested in pursuing a LE career. Check out their syllabus. It will likely include topics in Criminal Justice administration, human diversity, communications, investigations, criminal legal studies, etc. This can give you a nice overview as frequently the professors have field experience as well as academic qualifications.

Being functional if not fluent ina second language is also a big plus.

These courses also look good on a job application or resume.

#147102 - 05/23/05 09:13 AM Re: College study for law enforcement [Re: Fletch1]
hunterkell Offline

Loc: fl usa
i just joined the AIR NATIONAL GUARD. be advised, the military branches are short of manpower (esp ARMY type) reference the GWOT and lots of people are getting hit with a deployment soon as they get finished with training. all services are currently seeing a high op tempo and it is a pretty good bet that you will be deployed, thus making it hard to go to school....

ive been before and i enlisted to serve my country so that's okay with me...

talk to a recruiter and maybe go to some military websites and talk to people.

maybe a service like the Coast Guard might be right for you (college money and no deployment).

as far as education is concerned, fletch1 is right, a 2 year degree would be relatively painless and not take too long....

hope this helps,
Kel

Edited by hunterkell (05/23/05 09:15 AM)

#147103 - 05/23/05 06:15 PM Re: College study for law enforcement [Re: hunterkell]
SANCHIN31 Offline
Former Moderator

Quote:

i just joined the AIR NATIONAL GUARD. be advised, the military branches are short of manpower (esp ARMY type) reference the GWOT and lots of people are getting hit with a deployment soon as they get finished with training. all services are currently seeing a high op tempo and it is a pretty good bet that you will be deployed, thus making it hard to go to school....

I don't think my unit will be deployed anytime soon. We are currently changing our equipment.

Quote:

ive been before and i enlisted to serve my country so that's okay with me...

talk to a recruiter and maybe go to some military websites and talk to people.

maybe a service like the Coast Guard might be right for you (college money and no deployment).

as far as education is concerned, fletch1 is right, a 2 year degree would be relatively painless and not take too long....

hope this helps,
Kel

I'm already in the army guard. I don't think Arkansas has a coast guard. Thanks.

#147104 - 05/23/05 11:35 PM Re: College study for law enforcement [Re: SANCHIN31]
nekogami13 V2.0 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Texas, USA
Quote:

. I don't think Arkansas has a coast guard. Thanks.

Coast Guard is federal, so no state has a coast guard.
Coast Guard is under the department of transportation, during war gets transfered to the department of the Navy.
Coast Guard does overseas deployment.

#147105 - 05/24/05 03:41 AM Re: College study for law enforcement [Re: Fletch1]
SANCHIN31 Offline
Former Moderator

Quote:

Your local Community (2 yr) College will likely have a program for people interested in pursuing a LE career. Check out their syllabus. It will likely include topics in Criminal Justice administration, human diversity, communications, investigations, criminal legal studies, etc. This can give you a nice overview as frequently the professors have field experience as well as academic qualifications.

Being functional if not fluent ina second language is also a big plus.

These courses also look good on a job application or resume.

Thanks for the info Fletch1,that about covers it. What other suggestions do you have for breaking into that field?

#147106 - 05/24/05 08:10 AM Re: College study for law enforcement [Re: SANCHIN31]
Fletch1 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Florida
Check into the enrollment policies of the police/law enforcement academy. Some states (Florida for one) have open enrollment, meaning that after a background check, you can attend the academy unsponsored (on your own dime/ as a free agent) to become State Certified. Once you get through the academy, take the state exam and get your certificate. You won't be a LEO until you get hired somewhere and sworn in though.

This is a big advantage in the hiring process for many agencies as it saves them big $$$ on hiring you and sponsoring you for the academy.

If you don't already, get yourself a DA pistol (Glock/SW/Beretta/Sig) and become very familiar with it. Not all agencies furnish weapons to their officers and it will be nice to have your own to practice with before the academy. Keep it simple, no nickle plated/speed shooting/single action/scope mounted hand cannons.

#147107 - 05/24/05 10:18 AM Re: College study for law enforcement [Re: Fletch1]
hunterkell Offline

Loc: fl usa
hey sanchin,

have you thought about joing the reserves or auxillary at an agency/department? it would give you a chance to take a look at a prospective employer and learn the culture of that particular agency and decide if you want to work there. many le agencys have a ride along program where (after passing a background check), a civilian can ride with a an officer (usually a field training officer) and then while you are riding with that officer it gives you a chance to pick his brain about the agency itself and things you can do to make yourself more employable....

in florida, as long as you have a good background and good work history it is not hard to get a job as a police officer. many smaller departments need qualified people, but this is because the larger dept's are paying more money and better benefits....

i am a florida police officer, so i dont know the situatin is arkansas.....

either way, good luck
Kel

Nothing is impossible for the person that doesn't have to do it.

#147108 - 05/25/05 04:40 AM Re: College study for law enforcement [Re: hunterkell]
SANCHIN31 Offline
Former Moderator

Thanks Fletch,hunterkell! Those are very good ideas! I'll look into them.

#147109 - 06/06/05 12:26 AM Re: College study for law enforcement [Re: SANCHIN31]
Bushi_no_ki Offline
Veteran

Loc: POM, Monterey CA
Sanchin, Shasta College has a full Adminstration of Justice Dept. It should be easy to get into. The only thing is, as a safegaurd, your firearm safety and such are required courses for the Police Sciences degree (it's and actual Associate of Sciences degree), so you have to pass the b/g check right off the bat.

Moderator:  Cord, Fletch1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga