FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 56 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 3
MattJ 2
Jeff_G 1
Marcus Charles 1
TooNice 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Jeff_G
03/30/14 12:44 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432375 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#146722 - 06/22/05 05:17 PM Re: Wing Chun vs. Hung gar? [Re: DrAgOnPuNcH]
Mich Offline

Loc: Washington
Hey DragonPunch--

I just started Wing Chun, after doing the same kind of research. My focus was self defense at close combat range, since I work in a bad area of town and I'm a woman with absolutely no fighting experience. You're correct about the time involved--wing chun is faster to learn as long as you go to a school that emphasizes realistic fighting scenarios. I have heard of some wing chun training that requires 6+ months to learn just the first form, so just make sure you research the school before signing up.

My school does plan to incorporate grappling and other useful skills (although I've thought about looking into BJJ later on in addition to WC).

My school recommends a minimum of 2 sessions a week, and each session is 2 hours. I'd go more if my schedule allowed it. I can definitely see a difference in progression between me and the people who go more often, so I can only imagine how much slower Hung Gar would go. I'm hoping to be close to functionally competent before wintertime when I have to walk to the bus in the dark, and that would not be an option with Hung Gar.

#146723 - 06/23/05 06:55 PM Re: Wing Chun vs. Hung gar? [Re: Mich]
Longduckdong Offline

The best self defense you can hope to utilize effectively before you get your black sash (or equivalent) is to use your head and not put yourself in a situation where you can get into trouble. The belief that you can take on someone sooner with one system than another is false. If one seems to move slower than another think about what you are being taught. If you only learn a good solid stance and a good punch and kick you will be better off than having learned a whole bunch of stuff with little depth.

#146724 - 03/10/07 09:27 AM Re: Wing Chun vs. Hung gar? [Re: darinme]
Chado Offline
Stranger

Hey I am new here.
I have the 8/10 lvl of Wing Chun and I have serced a lot for Marcial Arts and I think that's a really good one.

I don't know about Hung Ger but if the pic I saw with their pose ( sorry for the Hung Gar guys) but it has many weaknesses

1) the frond hand cannot punce
2) the second hand is too behind and it cannot defent

This reasons are enought to end up the fight

Edited by Chado (03/10/07 09:30 AM)

#146725 - 04/03/07 07:43 PM Re: Wing Chun vs. Hung gar? [Re: Chado]
chain_punch Offline
Stranger

i've studied both Wing Chun and Hung gar, and i believe wing chun is by far the better fighting form. I spoke to my hung gar teacher at the time and he agreed that wing chun is a better 'street fighting' system. i've been through a few scrapes and wing chun has helped me out. but it is always down to the person, you need to find what i right for you

#146726 - 04/05/07 11:44 PM Re: Wing Chun vs. Hung gar? [Re: chain_punch]
ShikataGaNai Offline
Veteran

Loc: Bellingham, WA
I've been at wing chun for almost a year now, and I gotta say I'm amazed by the things I've learned. I have an excellent teacher and I owe it all to him, of course.
I don't know anything about rankings or 'sashes' though - we don't do 'em. Could someone explain this to me?

#146727 - 06/09/07 12:06 AM Re: Wing Chun vs. Hung gar? [Re: ShikataGaNai]
ThatSpearGuy Offline

I have over 15 years of martial arts experience and I can tell you that real Wing Chun is very effective. While I have not personally studied Hung Gar, I have friends that have and it can be very effective also.

Many times it isn't the style, but the teacher that makes the largest difference. For example, I know a couple of Wing Chun schools in my area that I feel are dangerous for the students because the training is so poor. Its not really Wing Chun, but how would someone that doesn't have experience know the difference?

Visit the schools you are interested in and pay attention. Does what they teach make sense and actually work? If so then your in luck and you've found a real martial art. If it works its real martial arts.

#146728 - 06/11/07 05:38 PM Re: Wing Chun vs. Hung gar? [Re: DrAgOnPuNcH]
Neko456 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Midwest City, Ok, USA
Wing-Chun is quicker style to learn it is mostly a hand system that stresses mostly straight charging and close in fighting. A TKD man would feel uncomforatble at this range. But it would give you another prospective of fighting. Its strength is that it strikes and deflects at the same time.
It weakness is the same and strong circular attacks a corner of the center line, that begin with feints and fakes. Or exchanging contact with a stronger person, fighter depended. WC can get traped in its own method of controlling the center line.

Hun-gar takes longer to learn it is a more comprehensive art based on the Tiger and Crane. It stresses fitness, powerful straight and circular motions, it uses intertwinng blocking or body shifting to strike in one motion sometimes with the same arm. Some of the power moves are 1 then 2 to start of a flowing combinations.

My feeling is Hun-gar would make end result would be a more versitle fighter. Wing-Chun would make a fighter in the shortest time but he wouldn't be as versitle. Which is more effective would depend on the opponent and the fighter.

I'll end by saying that a ex-TKDer would feel more at home with the distance and movement or Hun-gar. Rather then the close in and precison moves of WC.

Wc has a history of individual fighters and of course Bruce Lees beginging and of course he felt JKD was needed to improve it.

Hun-gar and his clan use to protect a whole village with his art. Hun-gar does take longer to learn.

My 2 cent.

Edited by Neko456 (06/11/07 05:39 PM)

#146729 - 06/24/07 12:17 PM Re: Wing Chun vs. Hung gar? [Re: Neko456]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
I find it amusing that some styles take longer to learn than other styles. I also find it amusing that we're even having this discussion.

It's another "style vs. style" debate when ultimately, there ARE no styles to begin with.

Regardless of style, the question is; are we training functionally or not? If not, it could well take forever to learn to effectively fight. If so, we can develop legitimate games within relatively short periods of time.

Why should one style take longer to learn when we all move the same way?

MY two cents

-John

#146730 - 06/24/07 02:31 PM Re: Wing Chun vs. Hung gar? [Re: JKogas]
puffadder Offline

Loc: UK
My simple answer to that one John is that it takes longer to learn from a teacher who has decades of skill, experience and knowledge to pass on and much less time to learn from one who has been training only a few years but wants you to think he has all the secret techniques that you will need to win any fight.

#146731 - 06/24/07 03:22 PM Re: Wing Chun vs. Hung gar? [Re: puffadder]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
Thats part of it. Good coaching matters greatly I would agree.

-John

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Cord, Gavin, JasonM, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga